Huey - RHD Single Cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasnt too sure on this van, the colour or something never really dragged me into it, but having seen it at Stanford Hall I kinda like it, very individual 8)

i love the foldaway steps in the rear. this definetly stands out from the crowd, and top job on the drop gates 8)

Cheers guys.

Well I knew the van would never be to everyones taste, but its kinda fun owning a marmite van that sticks out like a sore thumb :lol:

I forgot to take the steps to minis vs beetles, so we had a few beer crates as steps up to the back. All got a bit interesting when it got damp, the crates started to empty and our ballence was somewhat affected for reasons unknown ;)
Dunno what it is about the van but every show it gets turned into a deck, or veranda or something!

I don't plan to revarnish those gates until next summer! I try to avoid any wood work or brush painting as much as possible!

Will be uploading some pics from tonight in a bit...

Ok, so as I mentioned all the aussie vans have different air filters so the mounting bracket I had was no good. So using the old mounting brackets for my spotlamps I knocked up a air filter stand that bolts to the same place that the aussie air filter bracket fits.
Its a bit agricultural but does the job and is pretty much hidden by the filter.
Photo0110.jpg

Spent some more money at the oddball import stand as well..

Lost one of my bullet bolts so got some replacements..
Photo0108.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

And I was thinking about getting the volkswagen script for the rear as well, but saw this and it was cheaper and cooler imho...
Photo0106.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

Got a couple of other bling bits that I've still got to fit..

Don't think I've mentioned it but huey is now eyebrowless after he decided to shed a headlight rim just before minis vs beetles, so had to make a last minute run to GSF for a pair of single screw rims and a pair of proper screws. Don't think the screws I had before were quite long enough!

Well it all went a bit wrong on thursday night, went out to buy some stuff for van jambouree only for the throttle linkage to come away from the pedal on the way home. So with some creative use of zipties I limped the van back home.
So I didn't make it to the show and saturday I was at the workshop fabricating a new throttle linkage.

Ok, so this was the problem...
Photo0140.jpg

As its cast ally I couldn't weld it so this was my solution..
Photo0141.jpg

My throttle has always been really stiff and as documented in the thread, the floor in this area has been replaced and the throttle linkage bracket welded on to the new floor section.
Looking at the way everything sat I didn't think the linkage needed to be offset like the original so I decided to fabricate one.
I was also struggling to get full throttle, this I'm sure was down to the linkage being bent so I made mine a lot beefier and drilled the holes to give me a little more travel on the pedal.
Photo0139.jpg

All fitted up and it works a charm. Full throttle and easy, smooth pedal operation.

So whilst doing my accelerator pedal last week I had these two welds on the chassis legs pointed to me. Kinda looked like one of them had started to crack. So got a bit paranoid and cleaned them both up and then applied zinc (weld through) primer
Photo0158.jpg

Cranked the welder right up and stitched on two nice thick plates to reenforce the join
Photo0159.jpg

Rolled it outside and jacked it up
Photo0161.jpg

And gave the underside a good waxoyling now its clean and dry
Photo0160.jpg

Still fitting the shiny bits I bought from oddball import at stanny hall.

Light up number plate bolts
Photo0142.jpg

Photo0143.jpg

And, as they were in my old beetle, I wired them up to the indicators.
Photo0144.jpg

When me and my other half were in Brighton we spotted some material and she offered to make me some seat covers.

So two days of sewing later and here's what the multi talented Amy gave me :D
Photo0193.jpg

Photo0195.jpg

Photo0196.jpg

Photo0197.jpg

They are velcroed on so won't ping off like my old elasticated ones, but can still be easily removed for washing.

Well last week was pre MOT week and my horn and headlight relay decided to pack up!
Developed a misfire over the weekend because someone (ok, me :roll: ) forgot to reclip the HT leads back to the fan housing after resetting the points. One of the leads was resting on the carb preheat tubes and melted through.

So got that all sorted and today it passed first time. Only a couple of advisiories, including one for a "noisy exhaust" :lol:

Not really done any other mods yet (I have some ideas for some extra paint work ;) )
Just been using it as much as possible
6455_108247017617_515842617_2139935_1679706_n.jpg

Seems to be a bit warmer too, just have to remember theres a bit of a drop when climbing out in the morning!
The site in the picture is actually a pig farm! My mate organized a chilled out, cheap, local alternative to bug jam for our little collective.
I feel quite rough today...
6455_108247037617_515842617_2139938_2938554_n.jpg

So which ever one of these buggers sneezed will be a bacon roll before they know it!

Had a laugh on the way there as well, was in the process of bunging £60 in the van and noticed the advert on the pump...
6455_108246972617_515842617_2139928_594786_n.jpg

The bottom line reads "Another example of Volkswagen Efficency" :lol:

Not done much to the van really! Amy has made me some nice cusions for the cab so it looks like a proper sofa in the front now.

The mileage clocked up to 5000 since the resto so I gave it a full service.

Done nearside front wheel bearing too.
Photo0301.jpg

Photo0302.jpg

Used it at work as a mobile platform..
5455_110317177617_515842617_2169577_6950535_n.jpg

And just been enjoying it!
5815_124956167617_515842617_2373797_7105998_n.jpg

6135_124865282617_515842617_2372662_4313086_n.jpg

8318_1249192910461_1248605704_757190_6131724_n.jpg

7917_128868364542_511934542_2461164_7259045_n.jpg

Just a little update, been doing few bits, had some running problems recently so did a full service and its back running sweet.
Adjusted my brakes this weekend and fitted new shocks (nice german quality ones from gsf) all around as I got an advisory for perished bushes. The shocks were buggered anyway, its like driving a completely different van now :)

Photo0438.jpg

This lift is an awesome piece of kit
Photo0441.jpg

Shiney shiney
Photo0440.jpg

All sorted
Photo0443.jpg

Cheers dude.

Done some tinkering today, removed the wiper arms ready for shot blasting tomorrow.
Also in an attempt to make my lights a big brighter stuck some tin foil in the lights to reflect some of the light.
Photo0480.jpg

Photo0481.jpg

Seems to have worked...
Photo0483.jpg

Photo0482.jpg

Should have an alarm turning up this week as well.

Well the alarm arrived and I started to go over the wiring diagram and label the wires to speed up the installation process...
Photo0486.jpg

Good job I like doing wiring :lol:

ProfessorWheeto said:
Well the alarm arrived and I started to go over the wiring diagram and label the wires to speed up the installation process...
Photo0486.jpg

Good job I like doing wiring :lol:

that picture makes me cringe, i wouldnt fancy it