i need a new stereo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys

Reaction score
and speakers.

iv not got to much to spend :oops: , looking on ebay.
just dont know what to get. need help please.

andy

For my old bus, i bought a decent sony head unit, sony xplode front speakers and sony xplode 6x9s for the rear, all for under £100... i buy from Amazon, often look under the new and used section for each item to get it cheaper ;)

gonna have to start looking again for the new bus!

I think i still have a JVC thing in the garage, plays cd's and radio, does the job, you can have it for free if you want it, just needs leads for the back.

In fact, it can been seen in this thread, i think i still have it.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still say get somethng with an Ipod lead. Alpine is good, Clarion is good. All in my opinion obviously.

You can get FLI stuff brand new for not much pennies, its the entry level range made by Vibe so the quality is good, it depends how serious you are about your sound quality. (frankly in a van its fighting againt the wind and engine noise anyway so why spend loads?)

I would buy an alpine head unit, they start quite cheap £100ish. Then add a pair of mids and tweaters JL Audio start at about £70. You can add all the other stuff later but start with a quality headunit.

faux said:
I would buy an alpine head unit, they start quite cheap £100ish. Then add a pair of mids and tweaters JL Audio start at about £70. You can add all the other stuff later but start with a quality headunit.

yep i was looking at an alpine headunit with sub and amp, theres a £250 one with really sweet ipod integration and huge ipod dial in the middle, look dead cool and can colour change but its a lot to pay just for ipod integration. Im pretty keen on the alpine subs as well heard them in a friends setup and they do sound tight.

To be honest I wouldn't waste money on a stereo for the bus. I'll use my kitchen Pure DAB radio, I can plug my ipod straight into it, the battery on both the radio and ipod will last for a good few hours.

Why put a few hundred pounds worth of kit in for someone to be tempted to break in and nick it.

Des

Try halfords mate (Not a joke), doing some good deals on Head units and Speakers at the mo.
Worth a look. At least you can try before you buy.

Rich 8)

TBH as everyone has said the head unit is the key . If you buy a cheap head unit it will never sound good . I paid £ 300 for the head unit in the Gadget Bus and its a Alpine I bought it 8 years ago and It doesnt skip the CD if I hit a big bump ;) . Now if you've heard the Gadget Bus at the shows its more than loud enough to have a bit of a dance around outside and piss people off :lol: . If you look on flea Bay you can get good used quality head units for as little as 50 quid , Then with a IPOD Fm transmitter your sorted . Thats how mine is set up as I dont have a ipod jack plug :mrgreen: . Put sum good 6x9s in and your away . Again check ebay I swapped the 400watt amp in my bus for a old surfboard I had ;)

And let us know how you get on :D

Thanks for all the info, im still looking and saveing :D
Will let you know how i get on.
Andy

Andy, I got my Kenwood head unit from halfords for £35 and a set of Vibe 6x9's for a further £30. Then I got a 400W amp for £4 off ebay, it all sounds pretty good too, just not as loud as I'd like ;)

The head unit also has an Ipod connection.

You just need some speaker wire then.

i have installed a serious amount of car stereos in my time and have tried most brands of head unit, and i conclude Alpine are by far and away the best head unit, and you dont have to buy a top of the range alpine unit to get quality either, i currently have an alpine 9880r in my bus and have the lead that connects to my ipod. My ipod lives in the glove box and charges when the stereo is on. It completely controls the ipod from the head unit.

In my caddy i also have a an alpine 9850r that i bought off ebay for £50, it looks like new and is also a very good unit that controls and charges my ipod.

also i'd advise getting a unit that flips down to put the cd in, you dont really want a hole in the front where you poke cd's in anyway, plus the display will be much better on a flip down.

hope this helps

I have a kenwood unit that controls the ipod on the touch screen and the ipod sits in the glove box...it's ace but they aint cheep, ebay is best.

I then have vibe kit (space range) about middle of the range. I went for separates front and back instead of 6x9's and two 8inch subs, One amp powers the separates and one amp powers the subs. It sounds a lot but there is a lot of space to fill with sound.

The vibe 'lite' amps are a must as they are seriously small but massively powerful. They are like half the size of a shoe box...crazy, i remember when amps were huge bits of kit and when i saw these I was blown away :shock:

If your looking for quality kit at a good price I can recommend this guy, lots of people use him...even staff of some of the audio companies as they cant buy the stuff as cheap with their staff discount! :lol:

http://www.audiorepaircentre.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts