I'm after a new carb but which one?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulandabbe

Reaction score
I'm fed up with my camper running like a bitch, done valve clearences, lower bushes in carb and a service pack, it will not adjust how it should and idles up and down, so I'm getting anew one, but which one? I just want a normal standard one for my twinport 1600,

what does this look like??? It seems a good deal?

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=395&xSec=327

Anyone know for a better carb??

Hiya Paul,

Indeed, a 34PICT3 would have been the original equipment carburetor on your dual port engine.

But before you go buying a new aftermarket carburetor, consider this...............

The quality of assembly and casting on Bocar and Brosol carburetors varies quite a bit. It can go from satisfactory to downright rotten. Whenever I have to deal with one of these carburetors (and I am talking brand new, right out of the box) I disassemble them and clean them thoroughly. With that and a bunch of tweaking they can be made to perform adequately.

My first choice for a 34PICT3 would be a rebuilt Solex. Solex was the original German supplier of carburetors to the VW production line. Very nice units and with a quality rebuild better than new aftermarket.

Bookwus said:
My first choice for a 34PICT3 would be a rebuilt Solex. Solex was the original German supplier of carburetors to the VW production line. Very nice units and with a quality rebuild better than new aftermarket.

Agreed. Perhaps the best option would be to get a genuine one rebuilt. I bought some of the brass bushes for my 34 pict 3 carb, and they really aren't any better than what was in there before. Hence, I'm going to 36 DRLAs :D

I'm having the same dilemma,got what I believe to be original Solex on mine(also bought a pair of scrappers for spairs off flea bay)but running lumpy as shit.Want to buy a new set for mine(1776 type4) that I can bolt on and forget about,but which ones ??

mole said:
I'm having the same dilemma,got what I believe to be original Solex on mine(also bought a pair of scrappers for spairs off flea bay)but running lumpy as shit.Want to buy a new set for mine(1776 type4) that I can bolt on and forget about,but which ones ??

They never made a 1776cc type 4 engine. 1776 is a common type 1 engine size (as an upgrade) or VW did make an 1800. Do you have any pics of your engine so it can be identified? :)

Tofufi said:
mole said:

They never made a 1776cc type 4 engine. 1776 is a common type 1 engine size (as an upgrade) or VW did make an 1800. Do you have any pics of your engine so it can be identified? :)

its a 1700 type4 in a 72 import ;)

As mentioned above the after market 34 Pict 3s tend to be a bit crap and occasionaly near impossible to set up. I'll hopefully be binning mine in the near future looking at either twin dells or (what I'll probably end up with) Weber 34 Icts (but only genuine ones, not the copys as they suffer from quality issues) Apparently with the twin 34s you not only get a performance increase but a slight mpg increase as the shorter manifold length increases efficiency.

Hi there!

My new repro solex (pict34) which is a Kafer brand, used to run like a dog on my 1600 twinport, so I rebuilt it and used the jets out of my broken og solex, this improved the running no end, and I had plenty of power up hills for once, I think the jets these days are too small compared to what vw specified back in the 70's and this causes the new carbs to run a bit leaner, you can buy the jets in all different sizes off the internet, and I think bentley gives the specs for the jet sizes,

just my experience, cheers

Ive got 36 DRLA's to go on mine but ill be going 1776 at some point in the not to distant future. Ive also got a rebuilt solex that i bought off ebay for a tenner and once id put an "o" ring on the idle screw ive not adjusted it once!! Its been on my bug 2 years and its still (touch wood) spot on!!

Bookwus said:

Thanks Mike, any idea where i can buy a rebuilt unit, I've tried rebuilding mine with new bushes and kit but no luck, thanks Paul

Moonman71 said:
Hi there!

My new repro solex (pict34) which is a Kafer brand, used to run like a dog on my 1600 twinport, so I rebuilt it and used the jets out of my broken og solex, this improved the running no end, and I had plenty of power up hills for once, I think the jets these days are too small compared to what vw specified back in the 70's and this causes the new carbs to run a bit leaner, you can buy the jets in all different sizes off the internet, and I think bentley gives the specs for the jet sizes,

just my experience, cheers

I have heard of new carbs having smaller jets fitted, must be to save the envoiroment :lol: , I have no power problems, it seems to fly pretty well for what it is, its just the idling side of things, its up and down over 100 rpm on tick over :D

young_dubya said:
Ive got 36 DRLA's to go on mine but ill be going 1776 at some point in the not to distant future. Ive also got a rebuilt solex that i bought off ebay for a tenner and once id put an "o" ring on the idle screw ive not adjusted it once!! Its been on my bug 2 years and its still (touch wood) spot on!!

Right I'm gonna go and check that little oring on the idle screw, can't remember seeing one, would be funny if that is the problem :lol:

Latest posts