Indicator Stalk/Housing Turning on Column

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi all,

The stalk/housing when tight(ish) (I don't have the correct screws at the moment) spins around the column really easy. Any ideas what it is that I am missing? Or is it just that if I have the right screws it will be ok?

Also, it looks as though there should be some kind of rubber ring that goes over the the ignition housing as there is a groove around the top. Does that sound about right?

Does anyone know where to get the correct screws?

Hi!
I just turned down the heads on standard screws to suit the counterbores, works fine!
On mine the lack of grip was due to the sheet metal "u" piece in your second picture having dug its housing slots deeper into the soft diecast, so it was not gripping on the column. I drilled into the damaged bottom of the slots, and tapped and fitted a couple of M2 (I think) grub screws, loctited them in, and so far it has held up. ;)

Elliott

On my old bus I had a similar problem. I wrapped the steering column with a bit of electrical tape where the metal U-bit sat. Once tightened up it worked like a charm and you'd never know it was there!

gvee said:
On my old bus I had a similar problem. I wrapped the steering column with a bit of electrical tape where the metal U-bit sat. Once tightened up it worked like a charm and you'd never know it was there!

top tip :D

gvee said:

matt-me said:
did this above too
Yep. Me too as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

on the center of that metal c shaped bit there should be like a raised spike bit, I which would dig in to the steering column a bit. In your pic it looks broke off or removed.

Thanks for the responses guys. I looked on the parts book and bought both m4 and m5 I think it was as I never remember my chassis number. 10 stainless steel allen head screws for 99p with free delivery. Bargain! I had to narrow the actual head a bit with the help of a drill and the grinder. All done up and perfect now :)

Mine did the same, I simply removed the silver c shaped metal and sat it on its edge. Tap it slightly with an hammer then replace. Nice and tight again.

I wrapped the C shaped thing in electrical tape, doesn't move now!

Latest posts