Inspection hatch ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Has anyone put an inspection hatch in the back of their bus for easier access to the petrol tank etc ? A bit of me thinks yeah it would be so much easier if there was a problem with the tank and sender or behind the engine but then a massive part of me thinks oi, OI get that thought out of your head right now goth boy, don't you even think of cutting any holes anywhere unless its rusty and replaced with fresh and then i tend to agree with the bigger part of me ha. What's your thoughts ?🤙

That T25 hatch is an excellent addition I’d gladly see fitted in ours at a future opportunity.
Just at the weekend I enquired with Hayburner about their Latebay fuel sender inspection hatch, and Vic told me one for Early bays is in the pipeline.
Don’t know who actually makes these, selling via hayburner.

Hey folks. Has anyone put an inspection hatch in the back of their bus for easier access to the petrol tank etc ? A bit of me thinks yeah it would be so much easier if there was a problem with the tank and sender or behind the engine but then a massive part of me thinks oi, OI get that thought out of your head right now goth boy, don't you even think of cutting any holes anywhere unless its rusty and replaced with fresh and then i tend to agree with the bigger part of me ha. What's your thoughts ?🤙
If you want to look at your fuel tank there a little flap on the side of your bus, much easier than cutting a hole in the back 🤣

This is something I’m going to seriously look at doing over the winter. Would making servicing the nitrous system on mine way easier as it’s all on the fire wall

If you want to look at your fuel tank there a little flap on the side of your bus, much easier than cutting a hole in the back 🤣
Ahh but that flap is small Blue and that hole is even smaller if you wanted to put your hand and arm in it and fiddle about with the tank sender and the pipe is filling it up too. My god this sounds dodgy but ohhh you get the drift ha.

I used a T3 hatch out of a parts car for my 71, the firewall comes out easily from behind the EJ2.5, so I have access to the tank area
2507209.jpg

Ahh but that flap is small Blue and that hole is even smaller if you wanted to put your hand and arm in it and fiddle about with the tank sender and the pipe is filling it up too. My god this sounds dodgy but ohhh you get the drift ha.
Take the engine out man! You'll only have to do it once lol, well based on the quality of new parts then probably a couple of times, easier than fitting a hatch tho 😄

Take the engine out man! You'll only have to do it once lol, well based on the quality of new parts then probably a couple of times, easier than fitting a hatch tho 😄
You're totally right Blue and i wont lie im being a lets simplify it sort of guy ( yes i know im being a bleepy bleep bleep) ha and it is a one time job. Things are fine at the mo but you know when you get that feeling like yeah next to go and replace like the sender and even when its good for now and teamed up with my ocd etc well it would just be simple to lift up the lid and its just there to have a fiddle with to getting working again etc and check for any other probs. Oh i dont know my mind isn't like anyone elses, i need a new one ha 🤙.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of having a horizontal engine-compartment hatch, with the aperture above the cooling-fan housing, is that one does NOT need to remove the engine, in order to replace a faulty dynamo or alternator on a VW Type 1 style air-cooled engine; which is especially useful when far from home!

This is one of several advantages of the VW Type 4 style air-cooled engines, with the cooling-fan driven directly by the crankshaft.

One of the advantages of having a horizontal engine-compartment hatch, with the aperture above the cooling-fan housing, is that one does NOT need to remove the engine, in order to replace a faulty dynamo or alternator on a VW Type 1 style air-cooled engine; which is especially useful when far from home!

This is one of several advantages of the VW Type 4 style air-cooled engines, with the cooling-fan driven directly by the crankshaft.
I can see this making this job easy but I did my alternator in about 1.5 hours in my drive without removing engine or even the carb inlets. A lot of jiggling the tinware with large screwdrivers as bars to allow me to remove the alternator and fan in one go, and ultimately refit it.

I can see this making this job easy but I did my alternator in about 1.5 hours in my drive without removing engine or even the carb inlets. A lot of jiggling the tinware with large screwdrivers as bars to allow me to remove the alternator and fan in one go, and ultimately refit it.
Agreed, never removed an engine to change the alternator. I have specific bits of wood cut to size in order to hold the fan shroud up enough in order to get the alternator out 😬👌🏻

Latest posts