Installing VW Sunroof Drainage into Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonh

Reaction score
Hi

I'm converting my '70 Westy pop-top Bay to a sliding steel sunroof. Now I'm about to install the pipes ( 2 fore, 2 aft) that allow the rain to drain through.

On factory sunroofs, metal tubes exit the gutter with transparent plastic tubes joined on running under the roof to the outside.

I've just got the 4 triangular drain holes in the gutter to which I need the tubes attached in a reliable and waterproof way. This is the main challenge. Of course, currently these holes just emerge inside the bus!

Has anyone got any ideas? Or even better, has anyone actually done this?

Many thanks

Simon

I replaced the plastic tube on mine.
Went to a petshop (Pets At Home) and baught a syphon tube from the Fish keeping area, chopped it to size and hey presto :mrgreen: .
Put a lighter to it to warm it before fitting it.
Works well.

Rich

There are six drain tubes on a sunroof bus, 2 in the A post, 2 in the B post and 2 at the rear of the roof that exit by the air intakes, not overly easy to install these onto a bus that didn't have then fitted at the factory.

A westy is also missing the ramps that push the back edge of the sun roof up when closing, without the ramps the roof won't work correctly.

Thanks chaps - thats really helpful. Useful steer about the ramps too; I'll have to fabricate something to mimic those.

Any ideas for joining the tubes to the 6 drain holes?

Cheers

Simon

My real challenge is joining the pipework to the sunroof gutter. My current thinking is to make the triangular holes circular and use domestic plumbing pipe connectors. The issue is that they would need to be very low profile on the sunroof side so as not to foul with it. I'm not with the bus at the mo, so I'm not sure what the dimension restrictions are on the exit sides. Once these are installed, running the pipes out of the bus is relatively straightforward.

Anyone familiar with the range of tank connectors out there and can recommend a particularly low profile one? I've not decided on compression/solder/push fit or 15mm/22mm yet; it depends what size these things are and what the internal diameter of the original pipes are.

Cheers

Simon

Graham L said:
There are six drain tubes on a sunroof bus, 2 in the A post, 2 in the B post and 2 at the rear of the roof that exit by the air intakes

Almost, That's 2 in B Post, 2 in pillars behind sliding door (C Post I guess) & 2 in rear quarters that go down past the air intakes through the engine bay

There are threads already on here that show the drain tubes, I would say that it would not be an easy task to fit the drain holes (the rear ones especially) the middle & rear ones can be seen in the thread Here

Other threads cover it Here and Here

:D

Mr Brightside said:
Graham L said:
There are six drain tubes on a sunroof bus, 2 in the A post, 2 in the B post and 2 at the rear of the roof that exit by the air intakes

Almost, That's 2 in B Post, 2 in pillars behind sliding door (C Post I guess) & 2 in rear quarters that go down past the air intakes through the engine bay

There are threads already on here that show the drain tubes, I would say that it would not be an easy task to fit the drain holes (the rear ones especially) the middle & rear ones can be seen in the thread Here

Other threads cover it Here and Here

:D

You are right Graham, I was tired last night when I typed it, after working on my own sunroof deluxe :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the roof pressing on a westy is different to a sunroof bus and the drain holes are slightly different as well, remember the westy didn't need the rear ones as the fibreglass roof provides protection over the hole in the roof

Right, that's really helpful. I hadn't anticipated that there would be drain holes so far back; I'd just assumed they'd encompass the the outer edge of the closed roof. That'll be a challenge then! I'm planning a slight rake on the bus, so might see if I can do without the rear drains if they look completely inaccessible. The bus is a shell, which might help me a bit.

It's not just the rearward drainholes that are not needed for the Westy pop top - none of them should get any rain on them because they're all inside the pop top! And I'm rather hoping that the pressings for the sunroof buses and the pop top buses are the same. We know that Westy specced factory sunroof shelled buses for their pop tops, perhaps to keep them structurally safe, neat and rust-free. Would they specify a change in pressing as well? Someone will know and break the bad news to me!

And if anyone's got any further useful ideas, I'd be pleased to hear them!

Cheers

Simon

If I remember a conversation correctly I had about this at Vanfest last year, the early Westys were true sunroof busses with everything fitted (inc drains, belly pans etc) less the sunroof panel & winding gear.

I was told that later ones were stripped down a little more being specific to Westfalia.

Then Again, I could be wrong 

Fingers crossed

G

---

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's really interesting. Mine's an early 1970 model. It's got an internal roof over which the sunroof slides, but no other pipework or drains.

Cheers

S

Just looked at a 70 westy we have in the unit and there are no drain holes or tubes visible through the rear air intake, yet my sunroof deluxe (and Mr Brightsides) definitely have tubes running down the front edge of the air intake and out through the battery trays.

The shells may have been the same but if there was no need to fit drain tubes or ramps for the roof they didn't so there are subtle differences between the 2, even in those days they were watching the cost of production. If it didn't need it why fit it.

On Crossover sunroof buses the drain tubes at the back are really short and end in the air intake, really stubby tubes.

Belly pans were not fitted to westies from 72 on from what I've seen but stand to be corrected, the 72 sunroof deluxe we sold a couple of months ago had full belly pans, like Grahams & mine. Still not sure though why sunroof buses had the extra centre pan fitted??

I did have a 71 small rear light Bay that was a Bundesposte special order vehicle. So that a massive ariel could be erected from inside the load compartment, it had a VW Beetle sized sliding steel sunroof. This bus did have a full belly pan, supporting your theory.

I'm baffled as to why this might be. I can only think that perhaps VW felt their sunroof buses needed the extra strength, Westfalia didn't agree or felt that their pops provided that additional strength. And the massive Westfalia-destined production numbers brought some price advantage to Westfalia, despite the deviation from stock production item. But I really don't think this is very likely. Someone will have a better explanation!

Anyway, I've checked out my 70 pop-top today (just side belly pans by the way) into which I'm trying to install a sunroof drainage system. The triangular holes will not be covered by a round plumbing fitting; the bases are too wide. So I think I'm going to need to get something fabbed then welded in. Unless anyone has any ideas...

Cheers

Simon

I am in the process of doing exactly the same job and with the same challenges!!!

To get the water out of the sunroof tray, someone recommended to me that I look for some beetle rubber brake switch (or light I can't remember off the top of my head!) boots. Whilst they are round, they fit quite nicely into the triangular holes, and you can then seal them.

As for the six holes, I have connected them on each side, and they exit at the back and the front -front ones down the A pillar, and back ones down the bus (I am trying to get them out of the air scoops but drilling the hole is v. difficult.

I have a friend who is a cellar services engineer and using push fit connectors and t-pieces and flexible tubing, the water system on each side of the bus drains quite nicely.

The middle drain can go front or back, useful as when you are accelerating :) the water view out the back.

I think the secret is to stop the water getting in in the first place, so have a rubber seal ( as per a modern sunroof) then have the drains as back up - not strictly OG but saves your headliner.

As for the ramps, Graham let me into that secret as well! I bought some 90 degree shelf supports from b&q and bent them so they lift the roof through the gap in the sunroof rails. They are then located on the two welds you will see in the drainage tray on each side.

Sounds easy, has been a PITA, but will (hopefully) work. Glad it is kept in a garage tho......

My headliner is out so if you want some pics, let me know.

Good luck.an then seal them.

As for the six holes, I have connected them on each side, and they exit at the back and the front -front ones down the A pillar, and back ones down the bus (I am trying to get them out of the air scoops but drilling the hole is v. difficult.

I have a friend who is a cellar services engineer and using push fit connectors and t-pieces and flexible tubing, the water system on each side of the bus drains quite nicely.

The middle drain can go front or back, useful as when you are accelerating :) the water view out the back.

I think the secret is to stop the water getting in in the first place, so have a rubber seal ( as per a modern sunroof) then have the drains as back up - not strictly OG but saves your headliner.

As for the ramps, Graham let me into that secret as well! I bought some 90 degree shelf supports from b&q and bent them so they lift the roof through the gap in the sunroof rails. They are then located on the two welds you will see in the drainage tray on each side.

Sounds easy, has been a PITA, but will (hopefully) work. Glad it is kept in a garage tho......

My headliner is out so if you want some pics, let me know.

Good luck.

Nick - you're the man!

2 invaluable steers; the rubber exit boots and the ramps. I wonder if you might be able to be a little more specific about the Beetle brake part? These sound like the answers. Sticking them in with Sikkoflex (which is unique in that it is both an adhesive and sealant, designed for below waterline use in boats in harsh salt-water environments) would provide a very neat and reliable system.

Can I ask where you plan to/have exited the pipe at the bottom of the front drains? I know the factory ones come out visibly above the jack points. I don't think I can quite mimic the neatness of their hole, and my bus has just been sprayed.

I was beginning to lose hope...

Cheers

Simon

You guys must be crazy deliberatly installing something to pour water down your B and C posts. It's the same VW thinking that rots out the bottom of beetle door hinge posts. You forget they're there, muck gets in and blocks the holes and the rot begins...

Good challenge though and good luck with it. Sunroof buses are cool. 8)

The drainage pipes come out of the original holes, if you use the right diameter. I used a flexible metal pipe cleaner (from b&q I think) pushed that through and up into the internal gutters, caught it (a friend helps) then placed the plastic pipe and taped it on, and pulled it back - carefully.

I still need to find a way to get an end on the pipe so it doesn't go back in - got something in mind, but no time at the moment.

Connect all the bits up, then secure it and test it!!!!

As for the rubber piece, I think it was called a brake switch boot for a beetle (from heritage) and will try and get you the part number later on.

Like the idea of the sealant, I am going to try that.

Ramps - if I can get you a pic and some measurements tonight I will do.

Challenge? Hell yes!!!

The drainage pipes come out of the original holes, if you use the right diameter. I used a flexible metal pipe cleaner (from b&q I think) pushed that through and up into the internal gutters, caught it (a friend helps) then placed the plastic pipe and taped it on, and pulled it back - carefully.

I still need to find a way to get an end on the pipe so it doesn't go back in - got something in mind, but no time at the moment.

Connect all the bits up, then secure it and test it!!!!

As for the rubber piece, I think it was called a brake switch boot for a beetle (from heritage) and will try and get you the part number later on.

Like the idea of the sealant, I am going to try that.

Ramps - if I can get you a pic and some measurements tonight I will do.

Challenge? Hell yes!!!

Cheers Nick - is this the boot? It's even in a sale for me!

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Protective-boot-brake-light-switch-71-2-or-3-pin_act_shop.product_pID_95385_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of the pipes emerging from the bottom of the bus, I'm pretty sure I don't have any original holes through which to exit, not quite sure how I'll sort that one yet!

Can I ask the diameter and type of pipes you used? I was thinking about using 15mm push-fit domestic plumbing pipes, but since whatever you've used has worked I've got to be best off using that!

Sikkoflex is available from yacht chandlers/marine outlets. It is expensive and it goes hard in the tube after a few months, so you might want to buy only what you need for the job.

A pic and measurements of the ramps would be great!

Zed - I can't get enough of water in the bus. Instead of a cooker unit behind the driver's seat baulkhead, I'm planning a small, fern-planted rock garden, onto which the B pillar drain will emerge. Then I've got the best of both worlds; when the sun shines, it beams in thro the roof, but when it rains - mountain stream! It'll complement the pond in the spare wheel well perfectly!

Cheers

Simon

Them's the very fellows....

you will need 6

As for tubing, I used a combination of 15mm and 6mm tubing and the push fit connectors, t-pieces and the odd jubilee clip to secure the pipe into the brake boots.

Mine bus is a Westy so has a small hole in the pillar directly behind the cab doors (b-pillar?) but nothing in the one behind the sliding door.

I have a t-piece connection so no water goes down this pillar it heads forwards or backwards depending on whether you are accelerating or braking. Just make sure there is enough drop to get the water out of the tray and into the tubes.

May not get to the bus before the weekend, but if I can get it out then and get some pics, I will..

Latest posts