Insurance

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1970bay

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
Hi
Our insurance is up for renewal currently with Justkampers, they can’t get us a renewal quote. Footman and James also can’t, tried Adrian ,, against better judgment and they can’t get us a quote.
Both of us in 40’s clean driving history, and both have other cars. Any one else having issues?
Or recommendations on who else to try that’s any good

Justkampers have managed to get us a quote now. 6 quid different from last year

She believes that some of the underwriters are being picky on what they will cover.

Glad you got a quote then, £6 increase is not bad.

Insurance is a bit of a rip off mostly IMO. I needed an extra thousand miles on top of the 5000 I'm 'allowed' to get me to the end of the year and it cost me £70 !

Temped to disconnect the the Speedo cable..

Insurance prices everywhere and every car, glad I am over 25 to insure.

We had a thought on not getting a quote, technically our vans MOT is expired, but mot exempt, wonder if that might have anything to do with not getting quotes so easy aswell

Temped to disconnect the the Speedo cable..

Insurance prices everywhere and every car, glad I am over 25 to insure.

We had a thought on not getting a quote, technically our vans MOT is expired, but mot exempt, wonder if that might have anything to do with not getting quotes so easy aswell

Thats one of the things that I’d thought of but I’ve had no probs myself and maybe that’s to do with the fact that my mot is current.:unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, may be a coincidence,, maybe :)

I actually terminated a policy with JK ,nine months in because they still hadn't give me an agreed value certificate .
I generally use Classicline, my van is now with Hagerty.
I would be more concerned who the underwriter is, not saving a few quid on price.

As Gaz says above (redgaz54) it’s maybe not just about the price of the cover, it’s also or possibly more about what happens if the stuff ever hits the fan. That’s when a decent underwriter comes to the fore. I’ve never claimed on my van insurance but had a proper nightmare a couple of decades back with my car insurance and it was like chatting to a brick wall when trying to deal with them.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,so? Any positive experiences out there ? :)

I once disconnected my Speedo when I did a road trip to France as I knew it would put me over my insurance limit :D I used a sat nav for speed.
I don’t have a low limit anymore and don’t do the big mikes so it’s ok.

Hi
Our insurance is up for renewal currently with Justkampers, they can’t get us a renewal quote. Footman and James also can’t, tried Adrian ,, against better judgment and they can’t get us a quote.
Both of us in 40’s clean driving history, and both have other cars. Any one else having issues?
Hi
coops insurance brokers ask for ian did mine for £202 -30k agreed value

I actually terminated a policy with JK ,nine months in because they still hadn't give me an agreed value certificate .
I generally use Classicline, my van is now with Hagerty.
I would be more concerned who the underwriter is, not saving a few quid on price.
I thought I’d add to this thread. I have also terminated my policy with just kampers insurance as they were messing me about with the agreed value. After having the agreed value with them for three years this year they were really crap to deal with. I couldn’t get in contact with them and they took two weeks to reply to my emails. The agreed valuation team work in another office and after sending in all the info as usual, I got an email just saying ‘there isn’t enough info here to give an agreed valuation’ without saying what else they needed. So I’m now with Lancaster insurance. They still too almost a month to give me an agreed valuation but at least they were ok to deal with.

I use Heritage insurance, this they're based in Birmingham. Agreed value (although it's been on the drive the last 5 years so may need to get that updated). Price has remained similar, around the £120-130 mark since 2011.
Not sure if it's normal for classics, but it's a 1 year policy and doesn't accumulate no claims.

I went with Classicline, it was about £120 with breakdown cover (UK and EU) with unlimited mileage and an extra £11 for home start.

As Sparky said, NCB don't apply to historic/classic vehicles.

Hey @Adam1970bay. Im with HIC (Sterling) insurance and have been with them for many years with my early 68. £126 fully comp per year and i have absolutely no complaints at all 🙂🤙.

I use FootmanJames, it’s not the cheapest policy but I have a very good agreed value and can have it back in the event of it being written off … god forbid 🙈

I'm with PeterJames, been with them for years.

Earlier this year wanted to park my van outside on the street rather than the garage (early start, not wanting to wake the neighbours) but my policy has got a Garaging clause which states...

"between hours of 10pm and 6am if your vehicle is parked at or near your home or the garaging address and is not in a locked garage you will not be covered for theft or malicious damage"

I phoned them to query and change this, but was told I couldn't and that they probably can't insure me without the garage clause.

Anyone else had this?

Yeah, mine has this exclusion.
I could leave it on a random street a couple of miles away and it would be covered but not on my drive. (I understand it’s about being left there regularly which increases the risk).
My policy is with Flux and you can pay a higher premium not to have it.

Latest posts