Interior roof advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harveyg

Reaction score
Anybody with experience fitting ply to a sunroof model,I have very little skills with wood and was interested in a off the shelf kit ,I've seen them for a tin-top etc, but don't want to do anything Ill have to cut down as I know I'll make a mess of it, suppose iam looking for one that will fit in twenty minutes , started stripping it to today.
Any thoughts welcome.
Gary

Hi

It's the same as a westy. Check some searches as there were some templates kicking about or a fellow member may have some measurements for you to work with. There are a few alloy strips you will need to find.....

I thought it might have been the same as a westy,just need a supplier that somebody has used and can confirm are good, I've had interier panals of eBay that have been a poor fit.

have you got the j channels that go down the side and the h metal joining strips??
paul

SJH joinery for the roof lining, perfect fit.

http://www.sjhjoinery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like Paul says you do need the j channels down the sides that it slots in to. I think people have used the plasterers stuff to good effect.

If you can't find any of the I shaped joining strips in aluminium as the originals use the white stuff from b&q, works well.

I got mine from Rackhams in Ipswich. It was 3 years ago so I am not sure if they still do them but it was a perfect fit.

The Westy kits dont come with a cover for the sunroof. I noticed you don't have the inner liner fitted on the sunroof either, you'll need that, then you'll have to figure out how to attach some ply to it. I've gotta do the same in mine, i'm looking at getting a really thin veneer to glue to the sunroof liner, but I don't know if that's going to work. Good luck.

Yes I will have to cross that bridge re sunroof cover as it stands what you see isn't bad very clean but know when I do the rest of roof it will have to be done ,I've priced 3 sets up today
Rackhams@ £180
Ebay@ £110(feedback not great)
Sjh joinery@£120 sounds/looks good.

Anymore reviews on the above suppliers welcome before I take the plunge.

neilswheels said:
The Westy kits dont come with a cover for the sunroof. I noticed you don't have the inner liner fitted on the sunroof either, you'll need that, then you'll have to figure out how to attach some ply to it. I've gotta do the same in mine, i'm looking at getting a really thin veneer to glue to the sunroof liner, but I don't know if that's going to work. Good luck.

The sunroof liner is a pain even when its covered in fabric like it is from the factory, the channel it sits in is so tight that it has a tendency to stick and you cant add any lubricant as it will mark the headliner, ours also catches on the inner roof itself as it slides back leaving marks on the cloth :(.

I think if you cut a piece of 3mm ply to the same size/shape as the liner you could ditch the factory liner and use velcro on the front edge of the actual sunroof to hold the ply panel in place as thats the only place it fastened on the factory one so you can pop iy off and slide it back to get to the mechanism (ramps & lifters etc)

Latest posts