Introducing Mr Brightside's Midlands Makeover............

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cali_bay said:
That's stunning, love the colour. You must be well stoked. 8)

Yeah, I was scaring a few people driving back on the M42 this afternoon as my Grin went from one side of the windscreen to the other :lol:

Mr Brightside said:
......as my Grin went from one side of the windscreen to the other :lol:

That would be a sight to behold :mrgreen:

How did it drive - from the size of the grin it must of been alright :?:

Wow! Just pure and simply wow! I hope mine looks that good when it gets it new paint job later this year. Your bus has put a smile on my face so I can imagine how you feel. :D

gninnam said:

It was alright actually, missed a few gear changes, 2nd gear was playing hide & seek (and winning more often than not)

Bumped into another E.B. member , Camperman, on the A38, stopped for a pee & it took ten minutes to leave as a few people stopped to ask questions etc.

Sorted the gear change out today, fitted my Gene Berg shifter, loads better, just needs a small tweak to make it perfect.

Quick question to others who have the T Handle Berg shifter - can you pull out the reverse thumb button out to about 50mm ?
It normally sticks out about 25mm, but whilst driving, i started to fiddle with it & realised it comes out a lot more, now its bugging me.

Thats all for now :D

G

Hey Mr Brightside!

Just checked your thread [thanks for the tip off Mr Lupe!] and it's looking pukka!

Definitely interested in seeing this when the interior is done and maybe featuring it in the mag when you're done - and if you're up for it.

Looking forward to seeing it a bit nearer to the ground too... ;)

james

Mr Brightside said:
gninnam said:

It was alright actually, missed a few gear changes, 2nd gear was playing hide & seek (and winning more often than not)

Bumped into another E.B. member , Camperman, on the A38, stopped for a pee & it took ten minutes to leave as a few people stopped to ask questions etc.

Sorted the gear change out today, fitted my Gene Berg shifter, loads better, just needs a small tweak to make it perfect.

Quick question to others who have the T Handle Berg shifter - can you pull out the reverse thumb button out to about 50mm ?
It normally sticks out about 25mm, but whilst driving, i started to fiddle with it & realised it comes out a lot more, now its bugging me.

Thats all for now :D

G

Hi Graham
On both my t bar handles the button only sticks out less than 25mm, definitely doesnt stick out further, i presume there some tolerence so when you take your thumb of it, it will spring back out. hardest bit we found was getting the base plate in exactly the right place so it shifts right every time, not sure we've got it completely right yet on both of ours.

Bus is looking awesome by the way :mrgreen:

Graham L said:
Hi Graham
On both my t bar handles the button only sticks out less than 25mm, definitely doesnt stick out further, i presume there some tolerence so when you take your thumb of it, it will spring back out. hardest bit we found was getting the base plate in exactly the right place so it shifts right every time, not sure we've got it completely right yet on both of ours.

Bus is looking awesome by the way :mrgreen:

Yeah, mine is still not quite right, but is massively different to what it was, much, much more precise, need to adjust my plate also a little, think I will drop Al a mail at Bergs for his thoughts.

I am very, very happy with how the bus is shaping up :lol:

The cabinet maker who is fitting the interior is currently moving to new premises, so as I had a few days spare, I thought I would fit the RED9 kit I have waiting.

Cannot wait to bring it down from the clouds :D

arch-1.jpg

Pretty High

arch-2.jpg

Rear Also

arch-3.jpg

So, as I started to remove the old beam, I noticed that the original Ziebart coating, had totally dried out during the 40 years in SoCal.

Remember when you were young & your mum told you not to pick at things :?: Well I am glad that I did not listen as it all came off leaving solid stuff underneath (the brown marks are tar stains not rust)

arch-4.jpg

Now I know this would normally be done before the main paintwork is fixed, but it meant that I had to be super careful not to damage anything.

arch-5.jpg

arch-6.jpg

RED9 Wishbone Beam test fitted

arch-7.jpg

The Servo is a really tight fit :shock:

arch-8.jpg

Seam Sealer applied

arch-9.jpg

Acid Etch & Stonechip also

arch-10.jpg

Shiny topcoat applied (photo taken after 1st coat)

arch-11.jpg

Pity thats all going to be covered in Dinitrol :(

Not long now......

PS - will post the photos of the clutch cable clevis pin I just found & changed, it was 95% worn through, think I saved myself a definite trip on a recovery truck :D

Looking ace! gonna be a prize winner 8)

So lucky with the arches 8) A great result :D

That RED9 suspension unit looks pretty cool though ;)

Can't believe I missed this one until now. Just read from start to finish and am amazed... Not to mention very very jealous... Especially of that paintwork, which is top class by the way!!!!

Keep the photos coming!

Thanks for the positive comments, Really appreciated.

So after an afternoon of hammering, pulling, hammering & swearing, the arm finally came off the steering box allowing me to remove it from the bus so I could fit the Red9 kit.

Its all gone together really well.

archred9-2.jpg

archred9-1-1.jpg

archred9-3.jpg

archred9-4.jpg

its dropped it about 4 1/2" at the front already, going to fit Slamwerks plates tomorrow to bring the back down & see how the stance is then
;)

Looking forward to the foto's off the complete dropping.

Hopefully at the end of this year I can go for an Red9 Wishbone.
Thanks to these pictures I am looking more and more forward...

One question : didn't you had to remove the bracket for the brakeline?

Remon T2a said:

Thanks Remon, yeah I need to fit the brake brackets, but the ones on my old beam were scrap so I need to get some new ones

Remon T2a said:

Oh, hang on, are you referring to the brake bracket on the inner arch?

I think they had to remove it in the magazine article as the plates fouled it. Mine did not so no need to remove.

I guess every bus is slightly different

Hope this helps

Mr Brightside said:
Remon T2a said:

Oh, hang on, are you referring to the brake bracket on the inner arch?

I think they had to remove it in the magazine article as the plates fouled it. Mine did not so no need to remove.

I guess every bus is slightly different

Hope this helps

Ok thanks, when I am this far, first check out where the wishbone comes before just cutting the bracket away.

Keep on posting pic's.

Latest posts