iphone 5

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubscum

Reaction score
I can get a iphone 5 free from orange. I'm out of contract and due an upgrade.
I have a Iphone 3gs and have for about 2 and a half years. I love it and it works fine,
I pay £46 on month at the minute including insurance, I can get the 5 for the same money but without insurance, then (once I cleared the history :msn4: ) my wife can have my old phone and my daughter can have hers, making not 1 but 2 ladies happy in 1 house :shock:
insurance is direct from apple at £12 :? more then my camper insurance.
I said to myself I would not pay over £50 a month for phone. But its more, its a computer and video / camera, note pad, sat nav, music player .. basically everything I need at the touch of a screen (almost) but £50 it still loads!
so this big question is do I dare have one with out insurance :|

Currently the price of an iPhone 5 screen is £185...

I personally have never insured my iPhones, I have broken one screen in the last 4 years...

Sods law says if you dont insure it you will need it... if you do you wont :)

I never bother with phone insurance and so far so good, I reckon I've easily saved the cost of a new phone over the years :)

Have you checked to see if your bank account includes phone insurance? A lot of the ones with monthly fees include all sorts of extras.....

our phones are insured through the bank account :msn4:

Ive had insurance on older phones much cheaper and used it a couple of times, but I couldnt stomach the £12 a month iphone insurance. So far, so good, but it does scare me :lol:

Had phone insurance years ago on my iphone 3, cracked the screen and got it repaired. Then they jacked the direct debits up so i cancelled it. Touch wood i have never had any problems.

My contract has just run out on the 4s i have gone with Giffgaff for £10 per month, no contract with unlimited texts, data and 250 minutes. Might be worth looking at that.

Depends on your attitude to risk. Never had insurance just invested in a decent case ( dropped it twice in 5 secs last week) d'oh! Think ours are covered on the home insurance. Although I still remain sceptical about this despite assurances from the insurers we are.

I've had all the iPhones so far and touch wood no insurance and never had a problem, theyre built pretty well and take plenty of knocks in my day to day routine ........

And I'm on a iPhone 5 now with no insurance

My wife's is a different story ..........

She gets through screens(digitisers) and the occasional full LCD screens quicker than I can blink :roll:

And again no insurance

But at £5.99 for the 3GS

And the last for her 4s at 9.99

Changing the screens yourself is cheaper than paying for insurance
(and I've got it down to 10 mins to change one on a 3gs :mrgreen: )

The only real nemesis is water that is no comeback..... Other than that every part can/will available off eBay

And it'll not be long til the screens will be cheap, just in time for her upgrade

So I'd risk it for a biscuit and go without............

i have just switched from a Blackberry to a Iphone 4s, was going to do Iphone 5 but didnt see any need as 4 and 5 look near enough the same. Anyway bought a military style cover for it from fleabay and have insured it through my bank account. My daughter has an ipone 3g and cracked the screen a year ago. Phone still works so we left it. although she now wants an Iphone 5 when her contract is up next month.

We insure are IPhone 4S along with all other gadgets on our bank account, we also get breakdown cover for all of our vehicles but not abroad cover and other stuff like will writing etc all for £14 a month.
There is probably better out there as this account is years old but it gives you an idea.

Cheers
Sam

I dropped my iPhone 4S onto my slate kitchen floor yesterday.....

It bounced a good'un!......no damage :msn4:

Insurance for a phone........not since my first brick!

Spence

I always buy my phones outright and pay £15per month for 600 mins, 1200 texts and unlimited data. I did drop my iPhone 4 after 3 days and it cost £160 to fix.
My house insurance covers it just in case but in 16 years I have broken 2 phones so willing to take the risk.

Put it on you home insurance, only thing is it won't cover loss if airtime / fraudulent use but not sure that's such and issue these days...

Wonder if household insurers would cover reinstatement of data..... Now there's a "USP"

£50 a month!? That's £600 a year for having a phone? Surely just get a cheaper contract, buy yourself a new handset and a netbook instead?

I didn't upgrade my last time so when a further year had passed I managed to blag my price down to £5 a month. That's 300 mins, unlimited texting and unlimited internet. Sold my existing, perfectly good phone and got a free handset from them for another 6 months till I killed that in the sea and bought a cheap Android handset on offer for £25. It's not as good but I've got used to it being a bit slower than my old Android beast.

Best part; 18 month contract. Therefore to buy out from day 1 would cost me £90. The handset they gave me was worth more than that.

Moral of my story? Don't renew. Stick with what you've got for a while and then see what deal they can cut you.

I got the iphone 5 and have insurance on it, im shite with phones so it always pays to have it. :mrgreen:

Fucking great phone by the way 8)

just ordered it. Turns out I get a loyally so I get 10% line discount :D
so a £529 phone for free. Unlimited calls and texts free, 3GB a month for £41, I'm happy at that. Expect lots of panoramic photos of my bus :mrgreen: