IPOD Time

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Right dooods, 8)

I want to bung an ipod in me van / notch and not have a stereo as a slave unit. So i think this is how its done. :wink:

PodtoAmp.jpg

I am in no need to charge it via this sytem as I can do that from whenever I stop etc. So I think this sytem would work. Are there any obvious problems that you can see? things to remember?

Any input much appreciated. 8)

I'm not expert on autohifi, but the only one amp I have gotten needed a signal from the head unit to turn itself on. So you might need a jumper wire from your 'amp +' to 'signal in'. But I bet this depends pretty much on the apm you're using. Othervise I don't see a reason why that would not work.

By the way, why you have the led before the switch, wouldn't it be on all the time?

And another thing, you can plug apm minus to ground, but I bet you knew that.

-tipi- said:
I'm not expert on autohifi, but the only one amp I have gotten needed a signal from the head unit to turn itself on. So you might need a jumper wire from your 'amp +' to 'signal in'. But I bet this depends pretty much on the apm you're using. Othervise I don't see a reason why that would not work.

By the way, why you have the led before the switch, wouldn't it be on all the time?

And another thing, you can plug apm minus to ground, but I bet you knew that.

I knew that about the amp minus but forgot to put that on me crap pic :oops: good point about the LED ...... consider it moved :wink:

....actually i will put in an iluminated switch and save all the extra hassle :wink:

Right diagram 2 8)

This is better :D

PodtoAmp-1.jpg

The led would only have come on in the first application on throwing the switch....since theres no path to "earth" other than via switch/amp.....Unless the other missing leg went to ground?

Still not how I would have done it. Amp - to chassis, Amp + to Battery + via Fuse, Amp control or what ever the yellow wire is called to your switch and then to battery+. Don't take the Amp + via a switch, the currents in this wire are large and the switch you would need would be UGLY! Other than that you're spot on :)

Sparky said:
Still not how I would have done it. Amp - to chassis, Amp + to Battery + via Fuse, Amp control or what ever the yellow wire is called to your switch and then to battery+. Don't take the Amp + via a switch, the currents in this wire are large and the switch you would need would be UGLY! Other than that you're spot on :)

cheers dude 8) Dont mind what sort of switch it is as it will be mainly hidden apart from the illuminated button. :wink:

thats how mine is set up and it works a treat :D now I can't hear the engine at 70mph

Got mine set up as sparky has mentioned, also run the ipod charger into the switch, (both mounted in the glove box), and hey presto, you're charging as you're listening!! :)

I found that there was too much noise generated to charge while listening. Whenever I plugged in the cigarette-lighter charger into the iPod, the sound would go all crackly. Ground loop currents and crazy electrical thingas happening. A big enough inductor in the charging circuit should sort it out, but I just don't charge and listen simultaneously.

I do have a head unit. It's hidden away though, with a remote manual switch (signal, the yellow (?) one, normally goes to ignition) on the dash. Haven't got an amp yet.

Going directly to an amp can work too, I've done that temporarily in my Splitty. Might depend on whether it wants line-level or ... something else. +-1.5Vpp or something else. Just try it ey?

Cheers, A.

you can buy an ipod dock which has a low level line out for around £5 on ebay. Works a treat & sorts out volume problems.

CJ70westy said:
you can buy an ipod dock which has a low level line out for around £5 on ebay. Works a treat & sorts out volume problems.

have you got a link for this? :wink:

this is what you want, the genuine apple one, it has a line out on the back

this universal one has different size clips for the type of ipod.

Ebay.co.uk
item number: 120234528074

or ive just seen non apple ones with a remote!!! :D

Item number: 190207122727

Latest posts