Is this asbestos on my heater pipe?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfie

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but does anyone know if this lagging on my heater pipe is made of asbestos, and if so is it likely to be dangerous to health if I remove it?

It looks a lot more like glass fibre matting to me. I'm sure there'll be someone out there who will know for sure though!

Funny stuff asbestos

Some people can be ill from the slightest amount and even fatal

Other like my step dad were always covered in it lagging buses in the old days and were never affected.

Be very careful - My brother died 2 years ago from a form of asbestosis called mesothelioma. He was a Painter and Decorator. It only takes one spore/fibre to lodge in your lung. It can lie dormant for many years (30 - 40) but when it turns into cancer of the plural area of the lung (mesothelioma) it is 100% fatal and fast. 60% don't make 12 months from diagnosis. No one has ever survived with it.

Don't want to bring everyone down but really - be careful.

I was told by PO of the bus that it is indeed asbestos. That's why he disconnected the heater pipework.

Thanks, not sure about removing it now :shock:

The pipe seems solid enough so might just cover it with some radiator foil and seal it with aluminium tape!!

This might reassure you (us!) - but best take no chances...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-163247--.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts