Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say misalignment Clem, presume you are talking the angle they sit between top and bottom mount when viewed from the front?, this has always been an issue if running a narrowed beam and standard arms.

Clem said:
Clem said:

I'll contact the supplier and see what gives. :)

Update - I called the supplier who seemed a bit defensive and wasn't too forthcoming so after checking the paperwork I returned them directly to Gazmatic who have repaired and returned both units in double quick time (it's me that took ages to return them). Fantastic service.

The first guy I spoke to mentioned misalignment being a probable cause, which is possible due to my narrow beam (he didn't know this). I'm reluctant to refit as things stand so will look further into this, maybe they are just best for stock width beams?

Meanwhile I've done a massive road trip on the old Bugpacks! :lol:

Well if you want to sell them let me know!

Graham L said:
When you say misalignment Clem, presume you are talking the angle they sit between top and bottom mount when viewed from the front?, this has always been an issue if running a narrowed beam and standard arms.

That's right Graham, the angle they have to be fitted at may have caused the breakage ....

Did I see something about a weld on solution for this somewhere? I thought I saw something on a blog a while back :?

Lift arms like I have fitted would solve this mate, unfortunately I can't upload pictures via tapatalk again.
I think they are on my build thread.

*Sam* said:
Lift arms like I have fitted would solve this mate, unfortunately I can't upload pictures via tapatalk again.
I think they are on my build thread.

Just saw them! Thanks :D Ive mailed Paul.

He recently fitted a pair to my friends LB with a 3" narrowed beam and used the Bug Pack coilovers as my friends Air shocks were not in from the states in time. I tell you what is was a nice ride, i think set up properly with the Gaz dampers adjustability it would be real nice.

For what its worth I have to say that the ride I now have with the Gaz shocks has surpassed my expectations. It feels very modern, well damped and compliant over rough and uneven surfaces (such as when I go exploring while camping!). Just some feedback as I never really did say how it worked out.

Zcat7 said:
For what its worth I have to say that the ride I now have with the Gaz shocks has surpassed my expectations. It feels very modern, well damped and compliant over rough and uneven surfaces (such as when I go exploring while camping!). Just some feedback as I never really did say how it worked out.[/quote

So what's your front end set up? Could you Post a picture so I could see how your bus is sitting.

It is original front beam, standard width but lowered by about 4" (I think) - cut and turn. I wanted to raise the height by a couple of inches as the rear was running on the (cut down) bump stops. So took the rear up one spline and Gaz made up a set of dampers to match up the front.
I guess it might be a touch unique in that I must get a combined effect of the coilovers plus progressive assistance from the torsion bars the further the front compresses. It certainly feels good. There's no crashiness anymore over potholes and bad roads (and we have our fair share here in Essex!), just soaks them up.
I'll post up some before and after shots

Zcat7 said:
It is original front beam, standard width but lowered by about 4" (I think) - cut and turn. I wanted to raise the height by a couple of inches as the rear was running on the (cut down) bump stops. So took the rear up one spline and Gaz made up a set of dampers to match up the front.
I guess it might be a touch unique in that I must get a combined effect of the coilovers plus progressive assistance from the torsion bars the further the front compresses. It certainly feels good. There's no crashiness anymore over potholes and bad roads (and we have our fair share here in Essex!), just soaks them up.

As mentioned by Zcat7 you cannot compare this set up to a stock beam with dropped spindles, as his beam has been cut and turned its the equivalent of having adjusters on the beam and this will reduce the amount of travel on the arms therefore giving a firmer ride than stock in the first place and reduced travel before adding the Gaz Dampers.

Here are the before and after shots:

Before
DSC_1636.jpg

After
DSC_1791.jpg

In the first shot I had already taken the rear up one spline. The 2nd shot has the Gaz shocks fitted and hence another 2" of lift.
The front arch looks a bit "gappy" now and I think the low profile tyre looks silly but I am currently restoring a set of steels that I intend to fit with standard 185 R14 C tyres all round (or maybe a bit fatter at the back).

So what does a pair of these run at now? I saw a post on page 2 saying £181 delivered...

update,
Just went to Rally Design http://www.rallydesign.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and shocks and springs come in at £136+VAT, so £163.20 plus postage :)

There are some of these for sale on Volkszone at the min.

There are some of these for sale on Volkszone at the min.

I paid £180 but collected them as they are just around the corner. Then again mine were made to a specific length so maybe were a few quid up on their off-the-shelf pricing?

Graham L said:
Zcat7 said:

As mentioned by Zcat7 you cannot compare this set up to a stock beam with dropped spindles, as his beam has been cut and turned its the equivalent of having adjusters on the beam and this will reduce the amount of travel on the arms therefore giving a firmer ride than stock in the first place and reduced travel before adding the Gaz Dampers.

So I have adjusters in my beam and I am lowered by around three inches. I am on standard shocks which measure 300mm when fitted with the wheels on the ground. It sits good and on the motorway or good surface it is smooth and supply, on bumpy roads however it does bounce a lot if I hit a bump or hump then settles again. I want to stiffen it up to reduce the rebound effect. Should I need to go for coils as well or will a set of adjustable gaz dampers help the ride to firm up?

Hi guys,
I need an advice...
I have lowered my bus with flipped spindels from T-haus.
Everything else is stock.
Now it is time to buy some new shocks.

I have read this whole topic and as I can see the most of you are using this:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have contacted rallydesign and they offered me this product:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am little worried if those shocks would be a too long??
Thanks

P.S: sorry about my poor english... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bajadera said:
Hi guys,
I need an advice...
I have lowered my bus with flipped spindels from T-haus.
Everything else is stock.
Now it is time to buy some new shocks.

I have read this whole topic and as I can see the most of you are using this:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have contacted rallydesign and they offered me this product:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am little worried if those shocks would be a too long??
Thanks

P.S: sorry about my poor english... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hi,

I believe the ones they have offered would be direct replacements for a stock length shock.
I have the:
Open Length: 15"
Closed Length: 10"
Stroke: 5"
Chrome Length: 6"

With the bus about 1 inch lower than stock so what they have offered would be somewhere around right for stock. Your best checking the shock you have at the moment to make sure it is correct. I believe you check it at full extension and when shock is loaded by the bus(someone will no doubt come along shortly and confirm/correct me), it allows you to pick the correct open length and closed length from that.

Latest posts