Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my current setup

bus.jpg

Front:
185/60 R15C Continental VancoContact (load rated at 92/94)
Transporterhaus 3.5" dropped spindles
GAZ coilovers - (160/105/B12) with 140lb springs (RD1.9/140/10)
- springs set at 9cm between bottom of adjuster ring and bottom weld mark with 10 clicks on the adjuster

Back:
195/70 R15C Pirelli Chrono (load rated 102/104)
One outer spline drop
(Buttys 1cm spacer behind the Raders)

Quick note on the shock angle thing, my beams stock with T-Haus spindles etc. When I bolted the Gaz shocks on the towers, there was a gap on both sides on the torsion arm between the shock face and the inside edge of the bottom shock pin. I just made a couple of spacers out of solid round to fill the space, about 12mm. Works fine.

Morning all. I'm wondering if everyone is still happy with these or may have changed to something else since?
I'm about to buy so are looking at these or the Gabriel air shocks. Is there any others options now available? I was looking at the shockwaves but too expensive for now. Here's the shockwaves.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/7000-series-single-adjustable-shockwave-system-5-stroke-bearing-mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My setup is transporterhaus drop spindles and stock beam. Not on the road yet.
Thanks in advance
Luke.

Think you'll get a bit of 'rubbage' with tyres that big on the front :)

Yeah graham went for a spin and there's a bit of "rubbage" alright. Haha. Will be putting something like 165/65 on front and spring plates or a spline down at the back.
You any input regarding the shocks mate?

The original spec for the GAZ dampers came from my experiences and spec and as far as I'm aware they still work, just not a fan of fitting flipped spindles and then having to control the ride by fitting coilovers, counter intuiative :)

what are the best shocks to use at the back in combination with adjustabe springplates?

depends how low you want to run, we always fit KYB gas adjust 410-265., work really well

Graham L said:
depends how low you want to run, we always fit KYB gas adjust 410-265., work really well

where can i get the KYB shocks? i checked your site, but i didnt see them....

We can supply the shocks, they are £110 a pair plus postage :)

Thanks for everyone's research, feedback and input to this thread.

I was reminded that I have to get front shocks organised when I found the Empi Coilover ones on my shelf which were sold as being compatible with the 3.5" TPH Dropped Spindles (they are not, they are too long, which means you have to compress to fit on to the mountings, which, therefore, raises the ride height and the ride stiffness, even at 'minimum' settings. This leaves you with no adjustment to ride quality and a raised height :roll: :? ).

For reference, they are these ones:

41BrbeZ8BpL.jpg

Regarding Gaz, I need to confirm with measurements when I am closer to purchasing, but from responses on here, I think I will be ordering:

16" Shock with 150lb 9" Coil-Spring.

:party0021:

I might try Re-using the Empi's on the rear the next time I can mock fit them. :| :shadey:

I don`t think you would like them on the rear either, if they lasted you a month on the front, I reckon they`d be trashed in no time on the rear with the weight of the drive train etc etc on them. Is it possible to send them back ? Or possibly sell them to a beetle owner where they`d be ok on the front, I think that`s what they were meant for any how, maybe over on VZI (insert shuddering smiley) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, They`ll all lift it just a little bud :mrgreen:

That is a good point sir, there is no benefit in using them on the rear where they will probably wear quickly due to the weight difference, then have to scrap them. I may as well sell whilst there is still value in them. :?

just ordered some of these today.
They dont have any 16" shocks in stock will be about 4 weeks so went with the 15" ones as they have some of them in at the moment. they said they should also work as good. i guess we will see.

shawn82 said:
just ordered some of these today.
They dont have any 16" shocks in stock will be about 4 weeks so went with the 15" ones as they have some of them in at the moment. they said they should also work as good. i guess we will see.

Great! Let us all know how you get on.. :shadey: :party0021:

:popcorn:

Latest posts