Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham L said:
Graham L said:
With regards to the GAZ Dampers that Adam mentions above I'm happy to share the information with people as the intention was to offer them at a good deal by buying in bulk but couldn't get enough interest to buy them in the right quantity.

I've checked the records this morning and the dampers that have been fitted to Monty (my old 69 Panel Van, Adams (67 Westy) and are currently fitted to my latest bus 'Billy' are GAZ Units 160/105B12, they are fitted from memory with 9" Springs but can double check that, I'm currently running 150lb springs but when Adam had them they where fitted with 125lb springs.

e77c78ba.jpg

thanks Graham do you know what the shock bolt size is on a 72 crossover ?

marmite monster said:
thanks Graham do you know what the shock bolt size is on a 72 crossover ?

Heritage sell the shock bolt for 70 onwards as M12 x1.5 x 102mm

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/N10270601/bolt-top-shock-mount-t2-70-m12-x1-5-x-102mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the 12 in the part number refers to the bolt size.

Graham L said:

ahh brill thanks

do you see there being any problem with the shock alignment ? running a t2d 4" beam and 2.5 spindles

marmite monster said:
Graham L said:

ahh brill thanks

do you see there being any problem with the shock alignment ? running a t2d 4" beam and 2.5 spindles

Yes, are you sure its a 4" beam as T2D only sell 3" and if they are 2.5 inch dropped spindles and not flipped ones you dont need coilovers, they are only needed to control the ride on flipped spindles (upside down ball joints). We run KYB Gas adjust dampers on our French Slammer beams with 2.5" dropped spindles.

If it's an older design t2d 4" beam, like mine, then damper alignment is an issue and you will snap Gaz coil overs . I fitted damper relocators to solve the issue and it's been great ever since.

Clem said:
If it's an older design t2d 4" beam, like mine, then damper alignment is an issue and you will snap Gaz coil overs . I fitted damper relocators to solve the issue and it's been great ever since.

AHh so that's what happened with yours. I did wonder what caused it to snap, I guess you are still on the Gaz ones now it's realigned?

67westy said:
Clem said:

AHh so that's what happened with yours. I did wonder what caused it to snap, I guess you are still on the Gaz ones now it's realigned?

Yes, I sent them back to Gaz who repaired them with no question at all, which was cool. I then fitted the relocators and theyve been great since. I'm never touching it ever again! :lol:
Seriously, I took 5 of us to Ninove in it, no scraping, rubbing and it handles well. Its done! :mrgreen:

Graham L said:
marmite monster said:
Graham L said:

ahh brill thanks

Yes, are you sure its a 4" beam as T2D only sell 3" and if they are 2.5 inch dropped spindles and not flipped ones you dont need coilovers, they are only needed to control the ride on flipped spindles (upside down ball joints). We run KYB Gas adjust dampers on our French Slammer beams with 2.5" dropped spindles.

yeah you are right its just a 3" beam was new last month looks like a need some kyb dampers then thanks

Marriedblonde said:
I've a brand new set of the gaz coilovers, never fitted them. If anyone is after a set let me know, never even took them out the box.

J.
Hi Marriedblonde
I'm interested in these, PM sent. Cheers Andy

I am just about to fit 2.5" dropped spindles on an adjustable beam and was wondering if anyone has fitted the gaz shocks with this set up?

curly head said:
I am just about to fit 2.5" dropped spindles on an adjustable beam and was wondering if anyone has fitted the gaz shocks with this set up?
I had originally although i am now on a standard beam. Should be fine but it will depends on where the adjuster is fitted. Mine couldn't get back to stock position so i was always a little low for my liking. Still much better than the other shocks i tried with this combination though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

67westy said:
curly head said:
I had originally although i am now on a standard beam. Should be fine but it will depends on where the adjuster is fitted. Mine couldn't get back to stock position so i was always a little low for my liking. Still much better than the other shocks i tried with this combination though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, now need to buy the shocks without knowing the correct measured length :shock:

Yes, this thread is back! :party0021:

I now need to place an order for some GAZ, however, I do not want to get it wrong as it could be an expensive mistake.

After Westy67 and Graham's initial research, it seems most people who are running dropped spindles are quite happy with this configuration:

16" Shock with 150lb 9" Coil Spring.

It is also obvious that you need to adjust the coil spring and damper setting to fine-tune the ride to individual taste. However, I noticed that most people experienced a slight lift in ride-height when installing the GAZ.

The solution to this would be to wind down the coil-spring again to lower the ride height, but as you do that, you are unloading the coil-spring and making the ride softer.

Question Part 1

I am thinking of adding an adjuster to my beam (currently just TPH dropped spindles), just to drop it 1/2 an inch or so to make it perfect (to me) and I was thinking, if I have the GAZ ride setup perfectly, but I just want a slightly lower stance and add a beam adjuster in to the setup as well, if I do that with GAZ and a 9" coil-spring, would that negate the 1/2 drop I have just added?

Question Part 2
Has anyone tried an 8" coil-spring?

Question Part 3
In theory, if you got a 9" coil-spring and you just needed a centimetre more drop, could you shave a little off from the spring? - (Obviously not ideal, but the spring is not the main component in the suspension, so I guess not as 'crucial?', instead it is there to tweak the ride handling?).

:sign0023:

:sign0009:

I've got the T Hous spindles and the 150 9" GAZ shocks I can drive just about anywhere now because the coils are assisting my front leaves. I have slightly lower front tyres 175,65,15 from memory but I travel very light and if I went lower again then I would be knocking my tubs as I can occasionally get a little rub with this set up. To get a little lower without major surgery, you could have some lower profile tires. As for the 8" spring, I don't think it would actually do anything as the 9" is only just contributing to the spring rate, because we've reduced the amount of suspension travel available, we've had to stiffen up the springing / suspension so it don't rub because we're only using the first bit of our leaf springs, we need the extra travel to get the leaves twisted or supplement it with some coilies.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I've actually missed this thread :mrgreen:

You have got me thinking Ozziedog..... and drawing.

Excuse the quick sketch, I have loads of work to do so did not have time to make it tidy, but you get the idea:

busgaz.png~original

So that is what I was thinking with the 8", but you think that the 9" is barely under-load as it is?

In theory, could you not run the 8" even tighter / firmer than the 9", without the increased ride height?

This is getting confusing! :sad0049:

:lol:

I think that what's missing from your diagram is the "full extension" stop that exists within the damper assembly. You only get preload when you are butted up against that. Unless you are at full extension then the spring length will only adjust the ride height in relation to the adjustable platform (threaded ring). So if you assume that both dampers in your diagram are NOT at full extension then what difference does the spring length make to your resting ride height? You'd just use your adjustable platform to move the spring up or down to the desired ride height once the weight or the bus is on it.

There are of course differences to spring length in dynamic use but that also depends on number of winds, damper rate etc. if I read this correctly this is just about ride height?

Latest posts