Modification to make beam flasher work

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there a modification I can do so I can flash people (ooh, err missus) with my main beam stalk, as this currently does not happen on my 71 US crossover.

pls keep it simples!

Thanks

Have a search for ‘flash to pass mod’ as I believe this is what it has been affectionately referred to over the years! Plenty of info on it, it basically entails buying a relay with an extra pin and then connecting that to an ignition live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.justkampers.com/111-941-583-headlamp-relay-12v-vw-beetle-1971-on-vw-t2-bay-1971-1979-pre-71-with-mod-vw-t25-1979-1992.html

Fancy doing it myself as well

Thanks guys - I assume this is a generic relay that you can buy from other sources (presumably for a lot less than the £21.75 JK charge?).

So do you use this relay as well as your OEM headlamp relay, or instead of?

Thanks

Can;t find anything using the search - can anyone guide me in the right direction to find a 'how to' post.

Many thanks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613991

The last post in the above shows a pic of what is required! As simple as getting a 5 pin relay and wiring the additional pin 30 to a switched live.

Many thanks Moseley - On the samba link I note that the 2 wiring diagrams show the main and dipped beam wires the opposite way round, (i.e. the original wiring diagram shows terminal 56a as low beam, but the modified wiring diagram shows terminal 56b as low beam) but sound like I need to just swap the existing wires on the existing relay onto the new relay (I assume the numbers on the relay will be the same?) and add a switched live to terminal 30.

Thanks again.

kinga said:
Many thanks Moseley - On the samba link I note that the 2 wiring diagrams show the main and dipped beam wires the opposite way round, (i.e. the original wiring diagram shows terminal 56a as low beam, but the modified wiring diagram shows terminal 56b as low beam) but sound like I need to just swap the existing wires on the existing relay onto the new relay (I assume the numbers on the relay will be the same?) and add a switched live to terminal 30.

Thanks again.

I might be completely wrong, but if 56a and 56b are wired up incorrectly, it will mean you will be flashing your dipped beam, rather than main beam when you pull the stalk. Should be simple enough to test though. Relay numbering is a convention, but there are some numbers that are interchangeable depending on age / manufacturer. So when selecting a new relay, it needs to have similar numbering to as described in that post to ensure that the 5 pins behave in the manner they need to to perform all the functions.

Fair point mate.

Ordered a relay - from the manual, it looks like you have to remove the fuse box & the relays are accessible from the back - it also looks like the relays just plug into the fuse box, so I assume I have to take the extra wire through the fuse box (hope that makes sense).

Where is it best to take the switches live from, for terminal 30?

thanks

My 1969 US bus would only flash with the lights on. To modify this so I could flash the headlights with the lights off I wired in a 12v 30 amp auxiliary relay with a small blocking diode as per the diagram below. It works fine on my bus and I did not have to chop any wiring or replace my dip relay. Looking at later US diagrams it should also work for them. I hope the diagram below opens ok, on the plus side it only cost a few quid and took about half an hour with no wire chopping.

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/matcarbow/media/DipRelayMod_zpsedcb70ca.jpg.html

Latest posts