More power

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joval

Reaction score
Who's running a 1776 or more in their bus?

I'm giving serious consideration to having a motor built for mine, it's just too slow after my oval and daily MkIV TDi,
so want to see what spec is good in a bus.

Cheers.

yer, my "yet to have shipped" bus has the following engine in it......apparently it goes like a train........

it was bought from VW Parts Unlimited which was made from all brand new parts.1776 with a counter balance crank, 110 cam with dual kadron carbs. It has a deep sump for the oil and an external oil filter.

8)

do it :mrgreen:

Yep definitely go for a bigger motor. I've got 1776, counter weighted, power pulley, ported/polished, twin choke 40 del's, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, breather box, all blue printed and a big smile. If you can afford it go bigger than that if you want racing action otherwise the 1776 is good for touring and being economical (sort of). It all really depends on how heavy your right foot is, given the extra power in my bus it's hard not to want to go faster and I think I might be suffering from power envy!! Help!!

slammedresto said:
soon to be running a 1914, with weber 40s, full SS header and A1 muffler :mrgreen:

MY SPEC

1914cc VW BASED 69 X 94 ENGINE ALL NEW
VW CASE BORED FOR 94MM DRILL ED FOR FULL FLOW
SCAT CRANK 69 mm BALANCED
BALANCED FLYWHEEL.
HEAVY DUTY FLYWHEEL NUT +WASHER
ENGLE 110 CAMSHAFT
SCAT LIGHTWEIGHT RACING CAM FOLLOWERS
SCAT ALLOY CAM GEAR
HEAVY DUTY OIL PUMP
SCAT RODS
MAHLE 94 MM THICK WALL CYLINDERS
VW 040 HEADS WITH SINGLE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS FULL FLOWED
VW ROCKER S

That's pretty much what was in my oval but 1835cc, thinking about going a little more -

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=466776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Setup for a bus though.

Im in the same quandry, ive sold the bug and i was thinking about a bernie bergmann lump but after reading his feedback i was convinced otherwise. I like the look of the porsche cowl, i know the cooling is better than a standard but not as good as a DTM rat housing.

Engines seem so much cheaper in the us than the UK even when you add $400 for shipping and 20% duty and vat. ave 2L here will cost around £5K? you can get the same in the us for $5K +costs.

i was thinking about a 1914 as well.

If you want a bit more power then a 1776 will be fine - but if you also want more top speed then you need to change the gearbox to get longer ratios, otherwise it will rev too much at speed.

I'm running a 2017cc with a 2litre box (4.57 diff). Cruises at 80 without problems and can reach the ton (scary). qtr just in the 17's. Stock cooler and tin - no overheating even on the motorways in southern Spain.

Speed limit is 120k here :wink: so I just want more low down torque really.

I haven't given any thought to gearing yet...

hi , i'm running a 2028cc in my 69 and it's ACE ! cost about £3.5k ish runs in the 16's and takes me the Mrs and the kids all over camping, once you've had the feeling of a bit of power under your foot in a bus you'll be smiling from ear to ear, p.s it's true about the gears dosn't matter how huch power you've got you always run out of gears ! Hope you get one , steve
01062008212.jpg

I was enquiring about a 2028 earlier today, who built yours? :mrgreen:

Temptation................... :lol:
I'd also love to know more about these...
Are suitable gearboxes (longer gearing) easily available, or special build....

Richard Morena quoted around £4200 depending on final spec for a 2028/2110/2276 :mrgreen:

angus said:
Temptation................... :lol:
I'd also love to know more about these...
Are suitable gearboxes (longer gearing) easily available, or special build....

Box from a 2litre bay? Or rebuilt with different final drive...?

Just got a build sheet from DRD on a 1914 125bhp motor, looks great $4850 turnkey inc. A1 Sidewinder...

..but NO warranty, sold for racing only. :cry:

Joval said:
Just got a build sheet from DRD on a 1914 125bhp motor, looks great $4850 turnkey inc. A1 Sidewinder...

..but NO warranty, sold for racing only. :cry:

i called them up and shipping is another $800 (then add the duty and VAT on the total including shipping.) when you figure the sidewinder its not too bad. still works out much cheaper than any UK builder unfortunately :(

im going either CPR or GMR for my engine, the latter is run by Andy Hall and havent heard a bad word about him at all, infact there are 5 pages of people singing his praises in his feedback! :shock:

CPR look like a good option for a 1914 or long block but with Anibals reputation id say theres a long waiting list. DRD have only 2 slots left until next year for building 1st sept and 1st oct.

Is a warranty any good if you have to post the whole lot back at £400 anyway?

GMR Grease Monkey Racing, http://www.greasemonkeyvw.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

theres a 24 month warranty with Mark Wolters engines, but from the feedback im not sure its still not a punt :?

the bugger is that it just takes one person to put you off a builder in the samba feedbacks :( especially if you think your sending all your cash. there arent any irish builders? so we have to have it built elsewhere anyway :wink: .

Latest posts