My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys :D - I've now fixed the lights and the steering - got the play down from 1/2 turn of the wheel (!) to about 1 or 2 inches before the wheels move - a little better I think ;)

Only gotta raise it by next monday and then the garage can sort the brakes :)

It will be lowered again sometime, but properly ;)

Cheers guys 8)

Spent almost all day revising Maths (YAY!) but this evening I went to a VW photoshoot nearby.

Following this, Tomarse came over and we set about raising the rear suspension a spline.

Now 1 spline down on the back..

Just gotta do the spot of welding underneath, fit the windscreen and maybe the front bumper.

Got 3 exams this week, so progress may not be rapid. :lol:

Actually gives it a better stance too.

CIMG6466.jpg

Cheers guys :D

Revised from 7AM to 9Am this morning, and at 10 Lucy (Shamrockez) came over and gave me a hand fitting the windscreen.

We got this one in without smashing it 8)

Also bolted the front bumper on. Looks much less of a wreck now.

CIMG6467.jpg

Back to revising after lunch :lol:

ive been following this one for a while on vzi but its much easier to read here ;)

looking forward to the results and youve done some sterling work so far.

Thanks 8)

Anyway, last few days I've had exams, but I also:

Fitted new rear shocks:

CIMG6469.jpg

(now you can see why I bothered with this van - that's OG paint on the chassis rail there :)

Also, to do something different for a change, I started fitting the headlining.

CIMG6484.jpg

CIMG6485.jpg

It'll never be perfect as I'm re-using the one from the roof donor. But it'll do for now ;)

I also removed about 20 random wires from under the dash, and wired up the roof interior lights so they work correctly - even coming on when you open the cab doors :D

Just a spot of welding to do, and then it goes in to the garage for them to do the brakes ;)

Saturday, I patched the chassis rail, fitted the rear shocks etc.

CIMG6464.jpg

to

CIMG6510.jpg

Not perfect, but it's made of old beetle framehead so pretty damn strong. Before I welded the patch on I vacuumed out all the rusty bits from inside :)

Sunday, I spent all day at Bristol Volksfest.

On the evening, I came home and swapped the passenger door for a mildly better one (I broke the opening 1/4 light on the one I removed so it wasn't secure leaving it on there :( )

And this morning I drove to the garage - .he didn't like going up hills in third gear :lol:

Hopefully I'll hear back from them very soon :)

Riiight, went down to the garage today.

They have sorted the brakes - new rear wheel cylinder, handbrake cables, and freed the front calipers off (although he described them as "rough as fuck")

Still no MOT though as he isn't happy with the steering. Hopefully it will be fitted in on monday, otherwise it will be well over a week :(

Any more progress dude? just started atttacking my '71, see if i can't get it MOT'd this year, or at least ready rolling for next season :) 8) taken the front calipers off this afternoon ready for rebuild (damn one year only parts and lack of cash) and poked loads of rust out of the outriggers under tghe B pillars :evil: better start making a list....

Anyway, get some black paint on that front panel! you got a new one yet? :)

matty

Sorry dude, didn't see your post there 8)

If you've spotted my other posts on the forum, you'll know the van and I made it to Cornwall and back after the MOT without any problems.
The van became rather popular as all my mates tents flooded :lol:

CIMG6655.jpg

CIMG6624.jpg

CIMG6637.jpg

CIMG6660.jpg

I've just managed to start work on the van again today.

So here is what I did:

Lots of new panels from GSF:
CIMG6807.jpg

This rear corner doesn't look too bad does it?

CIMG6804.jpg

Oh dear....

CIMG6805.jpg

2cm down, it keeps on going (everyone loves filler!)

CIMG6806.jpg

CIMG6808.jpg

You can see the old "repair" (term used loosely) straight over the old metal. At least it appears they bothered to underseal the bodywork before putting the new panel on.

CIMG6809.jpg

Almost there:

CIMG6810.jpg

The rather classy battery tray made from old shelving and wood (not by me I'll have you know ;) )

CIMG6811.jpg

CIMG6812.jpg

Almost all cut out - just needs tidying and trimming now.

CIMG6813.jpg

:) More to come. The plan is for the van to be in paint by the end of the month.

keepgoing dude are we going see you at any shows nowthe bus is on the road :wink:

I was planning on doing volksfest wales and vanfest this year, but I don't have the funds for either now :(

Maybe next year? ;)

A quick update from this morning.

I couldn't pull the van out the garage, so I made a start on the front end instead. The rear needs an arch repair panel, so I've gotta go to GSF again before I can do that.

Windscreen out and stuff removed from front panel:

CIMG6814.jpg

(took bloody ages!)

reference shot for the wipers:

CIMG6816.jpg

you can see someone has just put a lower repair section straight over the old metal.

CIMG6817.jpg

CIMG6818.jpg

CIMG6819.jpg

And signs of an odd repair along the top of the panel too.

CIMG6820.jpg

Off to go and do more cutting

8)

Latest posts