my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no pics of the bus progress but nelly tells me he got a good day on it last weekend so the prep rolls on :D

had a nightmare with my daily last week. an hour before setting off to camperjam, rather than milk the last hour at work then cruise home to finish packing. i decided to drive around like a nutter doing random jobs and blew the gearbox up :(

the result was no camping for the weekend, and now a £600 bill for dif rebuild and drive shaft which apparently is less than half the price it could have been.

still it is very hard to take :(

because two months ago when i had some money i dropped some wheels off at the refurbers. today he rang me :( . £200 lighter.

the wheels are lovely :D my bank manager doesnt think so :shock:

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

set of four 8.5 j x 17 bbs rear porsche classics. three year project complete as you need two sets to make one. tinged with sadness that they will make me skint for ages

cheers dude. ive gotta get some spare time to have a fiddle and get them on sooooon. most of my mates say the colour is a bit chavtastic but i quite like it.

Got the front arches done and inside prep'd so should get the inside squirted this w/end,
Had to raise the front up to do arches the wheels look tiny now :shock:
035-1.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

loving it dude. crappy repro arches dont quite fit like original vw ones. if i ever did another resto (which is never, as the wife would kill me) i would use og cuts every time.

what with the progress on the bus i though i better get a bit more progress at my workshop to get the floor back in place

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

another day laying bricks and i should be able to set my levels, and think about starting to build the floor back up again. all this to please building control

Sorry dude, but what are you doing? I don't understand :?

You're making it so you can convert it into a house and you need to change the foundations - right?

What's with the square of concrete?

Interested in building stuff - please explain.. :poke:

cunning plan said:
Sorry dude, but what are you doing? I don't understand :?

You're making it so you can convert it into a house and you need to change the foundations - right?

What's with the square of concrete?

Interested in building stuff - please explain.. :poke:

You're not the only one, I'm thinking why has he built a wall around a door opening!!

Andy you need to explain to us mere mortals, now stop buying more alloys and let us know what you are up to :lol: :lol: , you could always start a new 'building' thread

:oops:

sorry for the random building pics

basically my workshop is a corner plot on a hill and as such alway had a floor that went down hill a bit. hence my van was a bit wonky when it got to nellys flat floored workshop.

when i turn my workshop into a house i need to have a floor that meets building regs (£560 just to apply for building approval :evil: ). this obviously means taking it down four courses to make room to fit the insulation under the concrete.

the wall around the doorway is a retaining wall hence the foot deep foundation. if you look on the wall there is an outline (from a can of zinc primer i had lying around) of the intended steps that will had the main door at the top of them and a full wall to the side of it. this should allow me to make a little front porch to the house then have a constant floor level throughout.

hopefully i should get the building work finished next week then get the doors and windows fitted. then it should start taking shape to get the bus back in for finishing.

As for rimage Graham :lol: i still havent got the green ones fitted yet but i am itching to get them on as they are my current favourites. :D

Ahhhh, I see. Thanks for the explanation - very interesting. Should be a lucrative project when you come to sell on maybe? ;)

I do like building stuff, but I am not that good at it :? I built a garage step and converted an out-house into an office last year, but the step is cracked and flaking (wrong mix of concrete I think, it was such a thin layer I should have used concrete repair patch stuff).

Keep it up. I might get my bus back around the same time as yours (or may be sooner, I am throwing some proper money at it now to get it moving :cry: :lol: ). Then I will be up to see you with your chassis rollers and a case of beer :mrgreen:

i began this day a bit down on all things car related around here.

my golf and t4 have been going slightly down hill of late, what with expensive repairs and the fact that i chose to run my golf sooo low it has pretty much smashed itself to bits on the local speedbumps :( .

i managed to squeeze and afternoon on the golf giving it a good spamming. i dont think i have polished it in over two years, and after having a look at some old photos of it this week something had to be done.

even found time to drive it round the corner to my usual photo spot to take a pic or two on the flat car park

STA76023.jpg

STA76021.jpg

STA76017.jpg

STA76016.jpg

STA76013.jpg

next job is to stop this. wheel creep, drop you car too much and your wheels start creeping forward in the arch. a friend has knocked me up some dropped spindles for the back which basicaly drop the rear spindle 80mm before even tweaking the coilovers

DSC00539.jpg

hope to fit my new wheels in the next day or two, and the golf will be back in the good books :D

as if that wasnt enough to turn me around

Nelly texted me tonight with this pic :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

top coat

2011-07-23_222009.jpg

love it. well pleased with the colour. :D

andewilson said:
2011-07-23_222009.jpg

love it. well pleased with the colour. :D

thats a lovely colour 8) - makes it look solid if that makes sense?

btw - love a mk3 - I have a set of mk4 style mk3 genuine hella's if you are ever interested! had them in my garage for the last 4 years from my old 8v GTI and always thought I'd get a vr6 but that's looking unlikely now!

Interior spray job looking good dude 8)

Liking the golf and the house work too :mrgreen:

rallye dale said:
Porsche rimmage on the MK3 wasnt expecting that :mrgreen:

:D :D

they're going next week. gotta raise it up a bit by going back to 17s. i didnt mind the front splitter hitting things, but the front wishbone mounts keep grounding out :shock: not realy what i was after.

Cool in a Chavvy kind of way ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, Looks great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts