My 68

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody68

Reaction score
Found in Liverpool, was for sale in Volksworld of all places. Dry stored since 1985. was in quite a sorry state, however the only rust was in the drivers door. Never welded RHD unrestored bus.

vanroof.jpg

Now it looks a little different after a little paint were needed. In the process of replacing the roof, due to the pop top thing on the top. Was a canterbury conversion, which are... well.

vanatation.jpg

Original paint inside. all original fittings and door cards. Original seat were not present. so later model ones are fitted until i find the correct year/colour ones?

busfloor-1.jpg

dash-1.jpg

Great bus dude. Lookin and likin! 8)

Do you still have the Canterbury Pitt interior. I think I may have seen your bus at Uttoxeter. If I did its got a Cheshire reg (VFM). I have a 68 bay with a pitt interior and a cheshire reg

Doc, don't have the interior anymore. The poptop can go to anyone who wants it. the only thing i've got left is the green canvas bunkbeds, just the material.

The van was at Uttoxeter, little pic in volksworld last month. don't run a front plate, so u won't see the reg in picture.

cheers

rich

What condition is the pop top canvas in? Mine is not brilliant and I am looking for a replacement. On the history side I believe our buses may have originally been sold by the same garage in Cheshire.
p.s This site is great, its about time early bays had their own site. If I wasn't a technophobe I would upload some photos of my bus

Doc, i don't have the canvas from the poptop, however the bunkbed canvas's are perfect. never used.

That's wicked that our buses could have been sold together.

My bus was manufactured 19/01/68 plate behind the passenger (could be wrong, always get the wrong side) will have four digits, mine reading 19/01

When was your manufactured?

You should use Photobucket.com to loas your pictures. Really easy, just choose your picture file and it'll upload it!!!!

Cheers Doc

Woody

hi m8, what a find your bus is... i found an early crewcab that had sat in a barn unused since 1979.... im interested in the roof but really depends where in the country you are......good luck

Hi
My bus was produced on the 18th January 1968, she is number 83245, and was first registered on the 8th April 1968. Our vans probably came over on the same boat, and were fitted out at Cant Pitt in South Ockendon at the same time. How cool is that?

just had a look, my van was 83205.... thats 40 before yours????

mines 19/01 stamped???

I'm in lincoln btw

That's weird about the numbers mate, had me scratching my head so much that I now have splinters. There must be a logical explanation. Hope you saw my 2 pics in the gallery (canterbury pitt bay). I am going to contact dvla to get a record of previous owners. We will have to get the two buses together at a show next year. It feels like they are related in some way.

Just at the finishing stages of a full rebuild.

P1030023.jpg

P1020012_1.jpg

P1020013_1.jpg

P1020014_1.jpg

P1020015_1.jpg

P1020016_1.jpg

P1030025.jpg

P1030028.jpg

I've sent the heads off for a full refurb By JH engines, All the tinware is in gloss black, waiting for the head to arrive on thursday. Got a pair of NOS heat exchangers for £55 from dubfreeze... worth freezing my goldylocks off for!!!!!

Keep you posted

Well i would attempt knocking out the exhaust valve guides on the cylinder heads!!!! two fooked heads later and i thought i'd best send my originals to the pro's. good job i had some fooked ones to practice on.

Cheers dude,

Rich

some pictures of tinware.

P1020008_2.jpg

P1020001_1.jpg

Knew that string thing in the garden would be useful for something!!!!!

P1020002_1.jpg

Got the misses to lay a few coats of primer and then a got half way throught putting on the first coat of black and then it decided to rain!?!?

P1020005_1.jpg

got my cylinder heads back last week, so got those beauties bolted on.

put a few pieces of tinware on to get a brief glimps of the finished look.

P1010007_3.jpg

Latest posts