My New SO67R Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt84

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share a few 'choice' pics with you of my new camper (yes, there are worse ones!). I don't actually get it until monday/tuesday and will try and get some more pics up then. Anyway, its a South African import (similar to 'Scooter' and 'Cotswoldiver' - but not as nice!) Its currently running a T25 Water Cooled conversion (note the awful radiator grill), but that is thankfully coming out and going back to as stock as possible. It also needs a fair bit of exterior work and Graham at Midland Early Bay will be doing the work over the coming weeks/months. The interior is a bit tatty and what has annoyed more than anything else (even that silly engine!) is that some previous owner has cut holes into the original wood! Never mind, theres no rush to sort that and will be done in due course I guess.

Anyway, heres the pics:

Exterior-FrontRight.jpg

Exterior-FrontLeft.jpg

Exterior-Rear.jpg

Exterior-EngineBay.jpg

Interior-Cab.jpg

Interior-Dashboard.jpg

Interior5.jpg

Interior4.jpg

Interior3.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Interior1.jpg

Interior-Wardrobe.jpg

Interior-RRBed.jpg

I like you bus mate , love the colour and the interior set up , shame they cut holes for speakers but hey at least is a complete interior.
I'm sure Graham will do a great job as always.
Are those lights between the headlight and the turn signal ? I have only seen them on SA imports.
Cheers.

Good to see another SO67R, we will never match the white westy mafia in numbers but there are more SA buses coming out of the woodwork or bush :lol:

Look forward to seeing your progress photos on this and I'm sure Graham will look after you well. Don't rush it, get the basics right you will be surprised how your ideas will change once you get to use it, and thats the key - get it on the road and use it, summers not over yet and I for one am hoping its going to be a bright warm autumn

bang a fake spare wheel on the front and drive it till the winter mate then swap the engine out in the winter :D

Looks sweet 8)

I missed read your title and thought it was camera and not camper so was surprised when I saw your van...DOH :mrgreen:

Hello all,

Been a while since my last post - my bus now affectionately named, 'Sandy' is now at Midland Early Bay where Dave, (and to a lesser extent Graham - ;) - sorry, couldn't resist!) are making some dam fine progress! The rust has been mostly cut out now, and thankfully Sandy still resembles a bus, which is always a bonus!

I'm currently re-laminating the interior - didn't really want to as its quite a rare type but wasn't left with much of a choice with what the PO did, oh well, should still come up a treat.

Another note - I may post this in general at a later date, anyone had any experience with Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers? Seem a decent, honest bunch but any feedback would be appreciated,

anyway, - here's the pics!!

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

Had to get 5 more packs of grinding discs :shock: worst bits lower 2ins of A posts so hope dog leg cuts come with that bit ok.Sandie is the right name as must have got at least 2 shovel fulls of sandy soil out of sills and chassis .Not found any scorpions yet :lol: (make a change from spiders)need to fabricate B and C post lowers ,rusted much like a uk bus so done plenty worse than this,out riggers ect are good so makes alinement of panels easier.just need to finish 68 deluxe (see it in back ground)first then brake out the grinder again :roll:

Coming alomg nicely 8)

Hope that won't be the ride height when they've finished with it ;)

gninnam said:
Coming alomg nicely 8)

We thought Matt would prefer it that height so we are going to turn it into an Early Bay monster truck, none of this just raise it a few inches and put slightly bigger tyres, this is going the whole hog (Just haven't told Matt yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

only joking Matt unless the scissor lift wont come down ;) ;)

Evenstar3019

Looking like a lot of work going on m8. Best of luck.

I have a RHD EB wardrobe that i may be selling, could replace your "polo" one :lol: :lol:

Graham L said:
gninnam said:
Coming alomg nicely 8)

We thought Matt would prefer it that height so we are going to turn it into an Early Bay monster truck, none of this just raise it a few inches and put slightly bigger tyres, this is going the whole hog (Just haven't told Matt yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

only joking Matt unless the scissor lift wont come down ;) ;)

I'd go another few feet up to be honest ;)

Matts been in having some wax protection done after the welding and paint ...

tumblr_lmw6s5X4RT1qf2thio1_500.jpg

12 litres(!) later we were done. Mostly Waxoyl on the inside and Ankor Wax externally

tumblr_lmweufHXyt1qf2thio1_500.jpg

Lovely bus, but needs slamming ;)

tumblr_lmwipswMdl1qf2thio1_500.jpg

Great to meet you Matt. Now on with the trimming and interior! 8)

Evenstar3019 said:
Just realised my front number plate is a little wonky - spirit bubble fail :(

Noticed - but didn't comment to spare your blushes :mrgreen:

Hello All!

I've been meaning to update this thread for quite a while now, been very busy getting the bus ready for our trip to France (see other gallery thread). Anyway back now and I can actually update - here are some of the last pics I have of the bus before it left Midland Early Bay, still a bit of a sorry state I'm sure you'll agree!

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

Once Graham and Dave (more Dave from what I believe :) ) had worked their magic, it was in with a 'proper' aircooled 1600 and a new recon gearbox (from Bears Motorsport) and the MOT was no problem, I then stood in a long queue at the DVLA to become the first UK owner of VUK 192H!

I picked the bus up from M.E.B, gave the interior a good wirebrush, a coat of rust inhibiting primer and paint and it was shipped off to a local respray shop (Portway Resprays - Oldbury) who I just popped into on the off chance and gave me an EXCELLENT price for the respray, I knew matching the original South African colour was going to be a struggle without a paintcode but thankfully one of the painters had been in the trade since the 50's and brought all the old VW colour charts in , we decided it was L10H Arizona Yellow (I'm still convinced it's more of a green, although the light changes it a fair bit).

I left my camera with the spray shop for some, 'midway' shots:

DSCF0116-1.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0118.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg

DSCF0128.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

To be completely honest I've no idea what the red paint is for, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it helps him find high spots or something?!

Looking a bit better now - into primer:

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

You can see the finished product a bit further down,

Once back from the paint shop I added some sound proofing, shipped it off to Clem for a few days (the mans an expert lance wielder - that waxoyl gets places you don't even know exist!). Then I did the flooring with a little help from Lard's thread on here (to be honest everything I do is due to a little help off here!).

DSCF0137.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

At this point the interior was at another local place, a trimmer named Adrian Sutton (superstitch on here) in Birmingham who was doing a fine job.

Latest posts