• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW 2009 WAGENSWEST SPINDLES EARLY BAY GROUP BUY

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with all the interest in spindles, but apparent cost/logistic issues to actually get hold of some. why don't people get together and make their own using integrated resources, a co-operative type thing?

i made my own disk-braked dropped spindles several years ago when you couldn't really get them for bays, not easily anyway. in my back yard with most of the tools you guys have; grinder, welder, workmate, hacksaw etc over a weekend. i initially took them to get them machined, but just got messed about, so did it myself. made a jig and got on with it.

they've been on the van years now, been all over the country seriously loaded up etc. every faith in them.

they came out at about a 2.5-3 inch drop, 5-10mm track increase. the biggest problems i had/have are that; the flippin speedo cable comes out right infront of the top ball joint taper/nut. so subsequently i couldn't fit a speedo cable, and to this day haven't had one. also the lower balljoint fouled the inner rim of the wheel. i had to significantly reduce the amount that the joint taper/nut extends below the trailing arm. it really needs a 1 inch narrowed pair of wheels to sort this. i will get round to this some day.

oh, the biggest hassle was tubbing my wheel arches, which i never accounted for. oh, and cutting sections out of the inner door frame too. so you can close the bloody doors after tubbing the arches. typical simple job turning into an epic.

i'm planning to make another set, now that i have some machining facilities and resolve those issues mentioned above.

dropped spindles aren't rocket science. they can easily be made diy. if you can afford the ones out there on the market, then great, they all look fantastic. but if like me you don't want to spend 500 notes on somehting that you could do yourself, or at least have a go for minimal costs (2xpair of spindles). or simply put the money to better use; pay the mortgage, treat the gf if you have one? or the bf for that matter? whatever. satisfaction of doing it is pretty good too.

i thinks it's fairly obvious that quality/faith of welding has to be second to none here. but saying that welding isn't rocket science either.

anyway food for thought?

Good to hear from you on here Jools - I remember checking out your bus and being amazed at the way the work had snowballed - I guess narrow beams take out some of that now (door chopping) and the wheel clearence is something that WW spindles suffer with (15" rims are a solution too).
You were a pioneer on this one, and I guess if you hadnt buggered off on that snowboarding holiday ;) youd be a dropped spindle based millionare playboy by now?
Good to hear theyve stood the test of time (and load ;) ) though :)

hiya mike, great site etc. i float about seeing whats happening etc. but not as much as i used too. other projects/toys take my time/money etc. oh, and work too. hopefully getting back into it. my panel has spent the last years garaged. sept '06 was the last time it saw the road. back on the road this spring. it's been too long. anyway good to hear from you and hope to chat over a beer or two over the summer months?

laters, j.

Coming back in late...sorry... don't know about shipping them up there ahead of time. shouldn't be much by ground. I still have the trip to make up to see him As for now, my only customer shipping a bus soon is Southern Kombi Parts so we'll have to arrange shipping to the UK with them. Their 63 split is sitting empty in the yard...

Graham L said:
OK

This thread seemed to have stalled a bit as people suggest alternatives to Nates dropped spindles, happy to kick start this again but need to know who is definitely interested or not. If you are still interested in a set then we need to gauge the amount required so please add your name to the list with year of bay (wide 5 68 -70 or disc 71-72) and whether its dropped spindles & or horseshoe plates you are looking for.

Graham L - 71 - dropped spindles - Horseshoe plates

Graham, What happened with this in the end?
I am interested in a set of dropped spindles for 71/72.

Loxy

Nothing unfortunately, people seem to get sidetracked and no one has expressed any more interest so its a bit of a non starter really :cry:

Graham L said:
Loxy

Nothing unfortunately, people seem to get sidetracked and no one has expressed any more interest so its a bit of a non starter really :cry:

Well I 'm gonna buy a set I guess we could save a bit on postage if the order is combined, you still interested?
I'm supposed to be going to Arizona with work in a couple of weeks, but not sure on logistics of getting them posted somewhere convenient & carrying them back?

well ive just had an email back from nate....and mentioning mr slammedresto.... i can have a pair into the county for $455...which is a grand total of £274.77 !!!!!

schweeet!!!! :mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
well ive just had an email back from nate....and mentioning mr slammedresto.... i can have a pair into the county for $455...which is a grand total of £274.77 !!!!!

:lol: :mrgreen:

nice one dude

thru_a_lupe said:

When are they arriving?

not ordered yet..... need to see if i can sort my suspension without them...and then if not.... they will be on their way!!!! ;)

2.5 inches is the wagenswest drop....
you can order as many pairs as you like!!!!

mine are now ordered..... should be here in a few weeks time!!!!! :mrgreen:

Following the comments earlier on the thread, can anyone confirm that the Wagenswest dropped spindles still allow you to use the speedo cable?

I still need to get a pair sorted out for my bus :(

I've just emailed Nate, and he says he is out of '71/'72 spindles. Doesn't know when he will have more in.

That's me not happy for the forseeable future then :lol:

Yes, Wagen West do still allow the speedo cable through. I have a new set of their Drop spindles available on this forum :)

Ponvanman said:
Yes, Wagen West do still allow the speedo cable through. I have a new set of their Drop spindles available on this forum :)

It's a shame your ones aren't the '71/'72 ones I'm after :cry:

Latest posts