New Ultra VW

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Just picked it up and think the new lay out is crap. Looks like its been knocked up by the local school magazine editor.
Cant compare like for like with this months VoWo as i seem to have missed it (came out mid may so likely another will be along soon.)
Maybe it will improve but i always liked Ultra and this isnt a improvement in my eyes.

Been thinking of dropping one mag (already dropped C&C) so this might make up my mind. While im on the subject dose anyone think Camper and Bus is coming to an end feature wise. OK its sold directly to our part of the market but seems to have the same bay/t25/t4/t5/splitty feature every month, so much so its becomong hard to distinguish one month from the next.

Volksworld featuring Camper and Bus..........................................

Maybe with the weather having been so good and having spent the last week or so doing what should be done in a bus im feeling abit let down with the VW magazine crowd.

(totally random, bored post by the way.........shit on the telly)

yes,sh*t on telly.didnt mind new layout,but would have liked more tech on stroker engine kit,then i like all things mecanical :roll: but how many cal look USA cars and busess canyou show without them looking samey :shock: then its all down to personal taste

I have to agree to not liking the new lay out and the only mag I buy now is Airmighty........."Very Expensive" but a fantastic read. (All the money saved from buying the other mags I can buy one :mrgreen: )

not a fan of the new layout, all looks too "samey"
and jesus how many more engine build ups are we gonna get? why not do something thats actually helpful to folks ie fault finding tips, how to get things like your horn working etc etc

Mike F said:
What's this Airmighty?

http://www.airmighty.com/index/index.html?http://www.airmighty.com/megascene/index.htm?http://www.airmighty.com/megascene/megascene_subscriptions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed the Kieth Sueme stuff in the new mag regarding his Cali trip and the temp export of his bug and all that ... all cool stuff to aspire to.
The team project stuff got a bit self indulgant with T4 and 'fat' Porsche projects though ...

Airmighty is the absolute don right now, fo sho. :)

Never really been into the VW mag scene as I am into Bays and Beetles and not much else and not really bothered about the other ones!!

Why don't we put together an on-line magazine of our own (mods??) based on info from on here and garnered from the net etc, with pics and text from members etc...

Good idea or pants???

ahhhh i have to say that i think Camper and Bus is a pretty good magazine all told.... bit of everything for everyone....
camper and commercial as well is good as it does what it wants and doesnt bow down to the latest trends!!!!

okay so I am a bit biased as I get paid by them both.... :lol: :msn4: but i totally agree with the comments on Ultra...
new layout looks absolute pap!!!! really dull.... and all that mag ever features is stateside cal lookers.... i think last month there wasnt a single UK car in there!!

weird 'arse about face' as it used to be the other way round.... volksworld used to just feature the blank cheque builds...whereas Ultra used to do all the interesting UK stuff...and now its the complete opposite way round!!!!

i have no experience of airmighty...i need to check it out me thinks.....

aobama52 said:
Choice a gift for friend
When trying to find a gift for a friend, family member, or colleague, consider buying them personalized Discount golf clubs gifts. We are in a time where iPods and other electronics dominate the market, however; personalized golf gifts allow you to express your true feelings. These types of gifts are perfect for men, who enjoy the casual game of golf. (ishiner)

WTF?!?

spammers! we will get you ya monkeys! :evil:

gninnam said:
Why don't we put together an on-line magazine of our own (mods??) based on info from on here and garnered from the net etc, with pics and text from members etc...

Good idea or pants???

I think a forum is a living magazine in its own way anyway, you have show pics, details of future events, classifieds, stories, features, tech info etc etc ...

There was an online magazine a few years ago, it folded (hah!) in the end due to other committments by those involved, but never appealed to me as it was. A magazine is a tangible, real item, for time away from a PC/net accessing machine, in my opinion. :)

Airmighty is the rodders journal of the VW world and is an excellent quarterly,

But I think Ultra is Excellent as a monthly, it always has a good range of vehicles and styles from across the globe, the redesign issue had:

a trick split owned by a german fellow and very much german modern style
Tar Babe, a restored classic Race car which resides in Scotland
Orange county adventure by Keith
A german look and owned 1303
A cali race car dyno shoot out
Big Bang Review
Hessich Review
a big bunch of editors and uk car builds and tech articles
and then a Norwegian wasserboxer engined street legal race car that is the fastest h pattern shifter, vw pan car in the world!

Ok the Cali stuff in their would be the tar babe review and as one of the key editors Keith Sueme was out there recently with his car, the orange county adventure, but I cant see how comments like:

'and all that mag ever features is stateside cal lookers'

can be justified? When as you can see above from the things in the latest issue, cal look actually makes up a small percentage!

There are more race cars / german look inspired vehicles than cal look cars in that issue?

To be fair the issue before the redesign was a Cal Look special, but this was from what I can see due to the fact Volksworld dropped their usual Cal Look Special and Ultra saw a gap that wasn't being delt with. I'm on various forums and can safely say that it was really appreciated by the cal look crowd.

I think too many people are jumping on a mag bashing band wagon rather than actually reading said magasines. They can't please everybody all the time.

If we shit on all the mags in the uk we will just end up not having such a selection to choose from ;)

Paul Knight from ultra, in my experience, is a very approachable fellow and am sure if there was constructive criticism would be interested in hearing it, but comments like:

'Just picked it up and think the new lay out is crap. Looks like its been knocked up by the local school magazine editor.'

to me don't seem constructive and actually seem pretty pointless.

You like it Alex i dont. Its layout against an all white background is to me (and others by the threads in this post) very much lacking in any outstanding design. If you care to read my thread correctly you will see i favoured Ultra but just dont like the un-imaginitive new lay out, hence the comparison with a school rag.

The thread was really to see what people thought of the new design either for or against which im sure the Ultra staff would expect and appreciate, after all the readers are who they rely on for their wages.
It isnt really a thread to attack people for having an opinion on what they like and dont like just because its not the same as your opinion.................thats what VZi is for. ;)

'Its layout against an all white background is to me (and others by the threads in this post) very much lacking in any outstanding design.'

Now that's a constructive thing to say that people can gleam information from, People are just saying it's crap without giving a reason or saying possibly what they would like to see different, I'm not attacking anyone's opinion I'm just trying to provoke some better informed remarks rather than it's crap I don't like it ;)

I'm all for people having opinion's it's what makes us all all unique and the world an interesting place :mrgreen:

Clem said:
There was an online magazine a few years ago, it folded (hah!) in the end due to other committments by those involved, but never appealed to me as it was. A magazine is a tangible, real item, for time away from a PC/net accessing machine, in my opinion. :)

And who would want a pile of dog eared laptops by the side of the bog??? :D

Pete B said:
And who would want a pile of dog eared laptops by the side of the bog??? :D

im never in the bog that long to have the time to read :eek: fastest crapper in the west! TMI

Latest posts