• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NOS Genuine VW heat exchangers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattp

Reaction score
Up for grabs is a set of NOS genuine VW heat exchangers, they are NOS VW T25 1.6 CT changers. These fit type1 base engines with some very minor mods and could be considered better than the original exchangers as they weigh more = more fins = more heat (remember the T25 is a bigger bus to heat so these had to be maxed out).

A friend of mine on here (Whistler) has just fitted a set to his bus so below are the pics and how he fitted them

£350/pr -a lot of money but the are NOS and will heat your bus unlike repro versions ;)

The mods required
Basically, grind a little off the exchanger to head port flange to add in taper (on the exchanger), cut the pipe extension off the front. Blank off / weld up the pre heat on the exchanger. Fold over metal fold directly under head to clear head, tweak fresh air in to accept the collar to take standard fresh air house (these are the tubes that come in a standard exhaust fit kit)

These are the exchangers:

This is what Whistler did to mod them as he texted over today

'Had to grind the face of the bit at the back that goes on the cylinder heads as it needed a taper on it. Put a nut head in the pre heat pipe and welded that up. Had to flatten the top lip that gets folded along under the heat exchanger (HE) under there the head goes, also had to take a tiny bit off the support bar to get exhaust brackets on easier. Used the 2 collars you said but had to fold the rim where the fresh air goes in to make it fit snug and then wrapped it in silver tape. Had to modify one of the vintage speed bits that go from the HE, just shorten it a bit. All in all took a couple of hours tops!'

I'd have written it a bit better if I knew you were going to literally take what I said!

Happy to help anyone with any questions of course.

Oh, and if there is anyone with a specific photo request, but be quick as the engine is going back in tonight.

Latest posts