Oil filed air filter question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
Help needed. I'm running a pair of vintage speed j tubes and a vintage speed exhaust along with a single carb . I plan on using my original oil filled air cleaner . I have no hole in my rear tin piece for the hot air pickup . Is this an issue also where do I connect the oil breather hose from the filter to? I have an empi oil filler so do I connect it to the nozzle on that .

I don't have the hose on mine connected through the tin and doesn't cause me any problems.

hose goes from the pipe by the oil fill cap on mine to the air filter

The missing hose connects to the warm air pickup pipe. As the name suggests, it provides hot air, from the cylinder heads, to the oil bath's thermostat.

I suspect missing this hose means that this 'stat doesn't operate as well, or at all? I believe it's purpose is to regulate the air temperature being fed to the carb. Probably helps against icing? However, this is me being speculative, I haven't ever really given it much thought before now.

I'm sure Trikky will be along shortly to put things straight

Unless I drill out a 50mm hole in my freshly powder coated front tin I don't have a hot air pickup pipe .only the heat risers .i guess I will have to see how it runs and if need be carefully cut a 50mm hole out

from my understanding the hot air pick up is only required when running the bus when temp is really cold outside as it prevents the icing of the carb, unless your planning running the bus as a daily in the middle of winter it wont make a lot of difference, all engines like the cooler air anyhoo. my air filter relies on the lever at the back of the tin connected to the engine thermostat and doesn't have its own thermostat, the cable was missing when i brought the bus so i've just fixed the filter so the flap is running the cool pick up all the time and never had a problem

hope that helps

That's interesting. I got told to leave it so it's picking up warm air all the time. Mine runs great and no carb icing etc.

from my understanding picking up the warm air is only a problem when the engines running hot as you will be blasting hot air into the carb, normally the air is collect from the scoop/ear rammed down into the engine bay where the air filter sucks up the cool air

Cold air has more oxygen by volume. So you can stuff more fuel into the cylinder while maintaining the proper air/fuel ratio.

The idea behind using warm air is for efficiency is to intentionally de power the motor. Less oxygen by volume means you must open the throttle further to generate a given amount of power. A wider throttle opening means reduced pumping losses that's why F1 cars don't like high track temps it screws with the fuel economy and power

Latest posts