Oil?? Help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have crappy signal here and my phone is pants so im sorry if this has already been asked... I can't search grr.

We had a load of oil when we got the van... Morris SAE 30 and have just used the last of it due to a small leak on the road - we are away from home and struggling to find this! Can anyone tell me what other oil I can use? Will SAE 5W 30 do the same job? I believe the 5W relates to the temperature only, but will it do the same thing? We've asked in two garages but everyone shrugs...

As always, sorry for a stupid question but any help would be huuugely appreciated!

i have been having a few issues myself and from what I've been told your best off with a 15-40 20-50 or straight 30. I would steer clear of the 5, probably too thin. Im a new bus owner mind and I'm only passing on what others have told me.

And I run 5w30 all day long with no oil pressure issues..

Anything with suitable lubricating properties will be fine!

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Hi Abby ,,, Any oil is better than no oil but more as a get you home. Straight 30 is what `was` recommended way back when but most use a multi flavour now a days just because oils have advanced. I think I`m using one easily available from Halfords in a green tin and I think it`s 5 / 40 sae might even be 5 / 30 sae and it seems to be kinder to these old engines especially when starting from cold. It`s promoted as being for classic vehickles and it`s mineral based which helps with heat dissipation and therefore longevity I believe. I don`t think it matters an awful lot so long as it`s not some crazy stuff for sewing machines etc So whatever you use, try and stay with the same stuff. As it`s Halfords, I generally get a couple of gallons when they have one of their special weekend deal thingies and I keep a couple of litres in gearbox oil dispensers up between the battery and the wheel arch, they fit perfect, and they are great for topping up. If you are having oil issues,,,,, Do Not !!!!! overfill the motor because its leaking like a sieve anyway, up to the full line if it`s cold and just under if it`s hot, as they just don`t like it being overfilled. :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Who wants to see a 1600 twinport with pot belly huh ? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Hi again Abby, just been down the garage to check because I had a nagging doubt :roll: Yes I was wrong, it`s Halfords 20 / 50 in the green tin for classic cars etc etc etc :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I`ll soon be making nice new friends every day :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Is this for topping it up whilst on travels because it has run low, or a complete oil change? If topping up, you are going to be mixing two different oil compositions together, so it would probably be wise to do a full oil change as soon as after.

Moseley said:
Is this for topping it up whilst on travels because it has run low, or a complete oil change? If topping up, you are going to be mixing two different oil compositions together, so it would probably be wise to do a full oil change as soon as after.

Now that`s exactly what I started off trying to say ^^^ Yes,, Don`t mix them unless it`s an emergency just to get you home, then new oil please :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Are you sorted ?? :mrgreen:

What a day yesterday!!! Floods, lightning, oil leaks... Rain getting in everywhere! Holy moly. That's not to mention the strange engine noises we can't figure out either....

Yes - it is just to get us home! We are leaving Dorset today to head home to Chester. Figured out where the leak is coming from and next weekend will be fixing that and an oil change! It was on the cards for this month anyway.

Ozziedog - we are going with your plan! There is a Halfords over a couple of hills so we will head there before home this morning.

Thanks for your help everyone! Wish us luck.. :lol: