oooooh nooooo this has screwed things up...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
hi all.
trying to change the bottom pulley as per advise before ee go on holiday end of July..

thought I'd do it right and get a puller but the puller has tore through the genuine VW pulley wheel and the puller wheel is stuck solid!!! yep,tried warming it.yep,tried wd40.

what now.and help please? :(

59f224b2-d849-361b.jpg

59f224b2-d858-1f9c.jpg

Have you got a welder ,as pulley is scrap I would weld some big lugs on and have puller arms facing in ,pull it while its hot from welding.as for heating it you would need to get it red hot to make it release.stand by for all the peeps going you will bugger your cranck/bearings ,NO cos its only the pulley thats red hot if you do it correctly.

when changeing my pully i put the arms of my puller right round the pully itself and put a very thick washer that was a fraction smaller than the pully center hole and put the puller against the hole in the washer and that seemed to work and it came off ok .

If that makes sense

Hi Mate, I don't think you have the correct puller. Mine, bought from VW heritage, has the puller 'hooks' that go around the outside of the crankshaft pulley. This wasn't cheap at £27.95 but makes the job very easy. Check in their catalogue in the 'tools' section as it has a picture.

Ps. Are you anywhere near Chesterfield as you are more than welcome to borrow it if you are.

bac2ba6 said:
when changeing my pully i put the arms of my puller right round the pully itself and put a very thick washer that was a fraction smaller than the pully center hole and put the puller against the hole in the washer and that seemed to work and it came off ok .

If that makes sense

Same here, should work ;)

Flip the arms and pull it from the edges from behind, surely?!

It's a taper fit, if it's been over-torqued it'll be harder to get off, some come straight off without a fuss, others get broken depending how patient you are and which monkey leant on the spanner :(

Latest posts