Our Camper - Dorothy, 1970 RHD Devon

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
***Will not upload pics here unless someone has any ideas, as they are bloody massive!!! So follow this link for all the pics for the time being***

Hi all, finally time to upload some pics of the girlfriend and I's new baby! She is a 1970 RHD (I think) Devon? Any advice would be great here as we aren't entirely sure (just compared her to other pics). I think she has had a new front as the indicators are up high and I believe they should be low? We love campers but are very new to the whole scene, so really ANY help, advice or critisism will be greatly appreciated.

She won't be a show winning van, but we are going to do our best to keep her clean looking with some neat additions. Money is an object so it will be slow going, but the first plan is to get her roadworthy so we can use her! I am hoping she passes her health check mid February.

So here she is, and please any comments at all would be great as we really are going in to this never having done anything like this before (although my Dad was heavily in to custom cars and drag racing when he was a lad, and my brother currently does banger racing), so we do have some history in the family! :)

The garage has done a few bits, they sorted the rust under the window seal and around the grill/indicators and they have cut out some of the front wheel arches that need replacing for the health check.

So, there are some photos! This is a public link to more (all I will take will be put in this folder!)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7zsnkvxl6lw5gv/ML7YTLEnNm/Dorothy

Whistler said:
***Will not upload pics here unless someone has any ideas, as they are bloody massive!!! So follow this link for all the pics for the time being***

Hi all, finally time to upload some pics of the girlfriend and I's new baby! She is a 1970 RHD (I think) Devon? Any advice would be great here as we aren't entirely sure (just compared her to other pics). I think she has had a new front as the indicators are up high and I believe they should be low? We love campers but are very new to the whole scene, so really ANY help, advice or critisism will be greatly appreciated.

She won't be a show winning van, but we are going to do our best to keep her clean looking with some neat additions. Money is an object so it will be slow going, but the first plan is to get her roadworthy so we can use her! I am hoping she passes her health check mid February.

So here she is, and please any comments at all would be great as we really are going in to this never having done anything like this before (although my Dad was heavily in to custom cars and drag racing when he was a lad, and my brother currently does banger racing), so we do have some history in the family! :)

The garage has done a few bits, they sorted the rust under the window seal and around the grill/indicators and they have cut out some of the front wheel arches that need replacing for the health check.

So, there are some photos! This is a public link to more (all I will take will be put in this folder!)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7zsnkvxl6lw5gv/ML7YTLEnNm/Dorothy

Hi Whistler,
Me n my Mrs are like yourselves, we've just bought our 1st bus Marvin and now look forward to enjoying the campervan life :) I also know very little about them but have found that if I ask on the forum someone will answer my questions even if I've asked something stupid :)
Have you checked out the vans m code it can tell you a lot about its original specs, try entering details on this link
http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&plate_type=70-79&p2_CC_CCC_CCC=CC+CCC+CCC&p2_MMM1=MMM&p2_MMM2=MMM&p2_MMM3=MMM&p2_MMM4=MMM&p2_MMM5=MMM&p2_PPPPII=PPPPII&p2_MMM6=MMM&p2_MMM7=MMM&p2_MMM8=MMM&p2_MMM9=MMM&p2_DD_D=DD+D&p2_UUUU=UUUU&p2_EE=EE&p2_XXXX_TT=XXXX+TT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About the photo bit :evil:
I to am having grief with it URL invalid or picturea too big even via photobucket :(
Seen the posting thread many times, still can't work it out (proper divvy with pc's)
I need someone to physically press the keyboard for me :)
Anyway Good Luck with your bus and maybe we will meet one day :)

Gary

How to upload pics using photobucket: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, using Dropbox you have to open the picture large then you can right click it and get the full link to the file (in Chrome you chose the "Copy Image URL" right-click option)

Then slap it between
tags like so

e.g. (remove the spaces from the tags)

[ img ]https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAA1YPzWw69sbCChKG5SyiQZcdhA1Zt-xfexdjqpHj8BsQ/10/75727361/jpeg/32x32/2/1355068800/0/2/2012-12-02%2012.28.25.jpg/82-LfnsDF81Bv4zkhf4Q3ZmOEXXGc74na1KyGAg8NzA?size=800x600[ /img ]

Gives this:

[img]https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAA1YPzWw69sbCChKG5SyiQZcdhA1Zt-xfexdjqpHj8BsQ/10/75727361/jpeg/32x32/2/1355068800/0/2/2012-12-02%2012.28.25.jpg/82-LfnsDF81Bv4zkhf4Q3ZmOEXXGc74na1KyGAg8NzA?size=800x600

P.S. yes, your van should be rocking low indicators. The reason it is not is because the front panel has been replaced at some point with a newer one (they don't make an early repair panel, you have to take a later one, some blanking plates, and a different bottom part too).

Welcome to the world of money pits is your girl prepared for a life of sitting on the sofa with a pizza from now on .Looks like a good base to start with and just remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel you just never now how long it is .

Jeff

@ Gvee, unfortunately this method still doesn't work for me. I've tried looking at the pics not being signed in. I've tried copying the web address, the link given by dropbox and it either gives me the massive photo or it gives the little red x where the image should be.

I'll try to keep problem solving. But how you have it is great, just can't seem to replicate it. Thing is, I really am rather computer literate as well. This however, have me stumped.. :(

@Nesquick and Madjack, thanks guys :) Just waiting for things to really start happening, just need the engine out and finish removing the dash and she is stripped and ready to have her front end sorted. Hopefully sorting the parts out today and then just to pick up a roller from a very kind chap ;) so hopefully the next couple of weeks things should start happening.

We did the M-Plate thing the day we got her home, she was actually a bus to start with! So I assume Devon took her and then made her a camper? We thought she either may have been a bus or they are all built the same as we noticed the holes for a middle bus seat on the floor when we took the floor up.

Once the rust is taken care of I will start putting her back together so we can use her. Then it is a case of buying bits when payday comes to focus on the inside. I am sure at some point I will do something with the engine (upgrade it), but for now we just want her working.

I bought the how to keep your VW alive book, and whilst the engine is out I am very tempted to give her a service. The last time she was on the road was 2008 (according to the tax disk). And certainly from the garage we got her from he hadn't used her since May last year accept a few miles from a lockup to the garage.

i generally have a second window tab open showing my photobucket library page, i start my thread on here when i want to add a pic click the "photobucket" tag up there on the left, go to my other window choose pic then click "IMG code" the box then says copied, come back here and paste between the photobucket link that appeared when you clicked the above button, et voila.

i had probs on other forums with pics but found this really easy, hope non techy answer helps

Thing is with Dropbox, my phone automatically uploads my pictures when there is a WiFi connection. Ok, looks like I sorted it! I have to go in to the properties of the photo and copy that link.

I don't have the copy URL option, obviously IE doesn't support this! EDIT: This morning it isn't working again, ok photobucket here I come.

So last night I took the dash out and ordered some parts for the front. Lower in, the lower part of the front including the low lights, front outriggers/jacking points and front wheel arches :D

I do have a question relating to the fact the garage have repaired around the window seal outside the van, but when I took the dash off there is rust on the inside and it seems as though someone (I don't know who), has lined the rust with electrical tape, to I assume, stop it from cutting in to the seal. I am guessing that if I was to replace this then the bit the garage has done would need re-doing? I can't post pics yet but they are in the link on the first post.

Whis.

Ok, so I gave up with Dropbox and trying to link so I've setup a photobucket account for the important pics. The Dropbox public link will stay however and will contain evey photo. So if you're ever bored that link is on the first post :D

So, in the above post I mentioned how the outside of the windscreen has been done, but upon taking the dash off I've found this
2012-12-10182944.jpg

So my question is, would you guys leave it? Or would you replace it, and I would assume this would mean the front section would need doing again?

Also, to my surprise I had a massive box from VWHeritage waiting when I got home!

Ok, that's refreshing to hear. Will just be very careful. Had a tidy in the garage last night and just offered the wheel arches up, could see what she's going to look like! Roll on the weekend so I can start the cutting/welding!

Ok, so this is the third effing time I have had to write this :evil: :evil: (This is the very mad part of the face...)

Not much this week, have managed to get her almost stripped. Taken the rear roof storage thing off and all the lights/grill off the front. Just the roof and the engine to come off/out and she is good to roll on the roller I picked up yesterday, lent to me by a very kind forum member! Thanks!! Then we can start on the chasis work. Decided we need B-Pillers and for the parts we need to patch that will be covered we will just get some sheet metal. I know it isn't nice too look at, but hopefully it won't be seen again once we have the flooring down!

Some pics of how she stands at the moment.
2012-12-15152644_zps02256035.jpg

That square piece of foil was stuck under the top of the dashboard, I don't know if it was to block the tiny holes up or not. However there was a wire stuck to it, almost like a makeshift earth? :?
2012-12-15152703_zps59818588.jpg

We aren't going to replace this storage, as it is just so tiny and makes her feel so much roomier without it there.
2012-12-15152744_zps9847a859.jpg

The passenger bulk head is going to be cut down so the passenger seat can swivel round. We did contemplate with the drivers seat doing the same, but we haven't decided on storage yet, but I think we will put some in right up to the drivers seat so it won't swivel. Not sure yet!
2012-12-15153934_zps1a4ce8f1.jpg

The mess that is left after taking off the mushroom vent which we aren't replacing, so will be patched in.

I do have a question for you guys though. The front part of the Y Section looks like this...
2012-12-15152836_zpsfa986d51.jpg

2012-12-15153009_zps9026d34a.jpg

I've seen someone selling the complete sections on the for sale sub-forum, but I am wondering, as it is only the very front bits that need replacing, is it http://www.justkampers.com/shop/chassis-leg-repair-section-66cm-for-vw-t2-1967-1979-j11015.html and http://www.justkampers.com/shop/t2-...t-section-for-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979-j11016.html to make it good? I am 90% sure it is these bits, but what with still learning A LOT at the moment, I just want to be sure.

Whis.

Hi there Mark

They are a good starting point I would but just the first one and cut it up as you need it and a sheet of metal in the same gauge and then get creative mine were as bad as yours if not worse and I was able to reconstruct them .

Jeff

What have you got to loose you could save a small fortune and you,ll be fine just make sure you have some card to hand for templates, could see if I can get a day pass to point you in the right direction but it will be the new year now if you can wait and work on the other bits first.

Thanks Jeff, all help always welcome :) (Goes to anyone with in touching distance of Croydon btw ;) ). Problem is, we don't have any tools to bend/shape metal in the way we would need to. I have actually ordered some parts last night. I was thinking to see how they fit, if it is something I think I can remake then I will, other wise these parts will just go in.

Latest posts