Plasti-dip and Foliatec spray foil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto-raider

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of and/or tried Plasti-dip or Foliatec spray on foil?
it's a rubber spray that can be sprayed on anything really, but I'm talking about the set to paint your rims.
I think it's a great idea so I bought a set for about £45. It should be enough for 4 rims and If the result is not to your liking you can remove the foil without any residue. There's no need to sand before spraying.

http://youtu.be/8T82MhmZJaE

I'm going for flat orange on my rims. I will keep you posted.

I tried one rim. Not too bad, nice result with little effort.

1 Remove the wheel from the vehicle.
2 Clean the rim with a non-aggresive grease and cellulose remover. (Alcohol) Unfortunately I didn't have any so used window-cleaner :roll: .
3 Mask the tire with the included cards or masking tape or whatever.
4 Spray layer one very thin and repeat 4 times
5 After 30 minutes the spray is dry and feels like a rubber household glove.
6 Mount the wheel back on the vehicle

It really is that simple but because I did not use the appropriate cleaner it wasn't 100% to my satisfaction. A few wrinkles in the coating at the end.
Good thing is that those wrinkles can be removed and resprayed, but I haven't tried that yet.

In the end I am pleased with the spray itself but the flat orange is a little brighter than anticipated. I will finish the other rims, but at some point I will make them red. Fortunately I can pull off the spray foil to restore the original colour rim.

The instructions say that the spray is very hard to remove from tires, so I will buy a spraycan in white to try and make my own whitewalls.

Some pics to go with the story;

Dirty rim
Foto-TVXQOKPI-D.jpg

Cleaned the rim and on top is a stack of the included masking cards
Foto-QRTFCP7F-D.jpg

Masked off the tire with the cards, but they didn't stick well under the edge of the steelies.
Foto-KMBQBJ88-D.jpg

After spraying, still wet
Foto-US4LBVGD-D.jpg

Removed the cards to see the not yet dry endresult
Foto-4YNP4W4H-D.jpg

A bit of a reaction, probably due to not using the recommended cleaner
Foto-Y6OUYDIY-D.jpg

Endresult back on the bus after 30 minutes.
Foto-DIE3I46O-D.jpg

Not bad at all, good for a change without the commitment. I like it

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

i wonder........... :idea: say you are going on a road trip europe, summer loads of bugs and chips.. apply a really heavy thick coat to the front of your bus instead of a bra not got to worry about fixing and when you get back just peel it off..... :roll:

Correct with the plan of the front of the van - I know Frost sell something similar which is also peel-able !!

You can use the spray on any smooth surface according to the manufacturer and i've seen plenty of examples where people sprayed entire cars or bonnets and stuff. As long as it is a smooth surface you can peel it off. If it is not smooth you won't be able to peel it off very easily.

The people that have used it beofre say that it last a long time. And they even have transparent coating for protection purposes only.

Man, I sound like i'm selling the stuff. But hey, I just like it because it hardly needs any prep work and is dry in 30 minutes. I'm impatient with these kind of things.

Mmmm clear would be good for a made to measure custom bra, apply at the start of the season, would'nt matter how long you left it on as you would'nt get any rubbing or water trapped behind it.

note to self, add to post resto wishlist

Latest posts