Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame about the shoulder but the van is coming along nicely! At least you seem to have done the worst of it mate

Wanted to write "no pain no gain" but thought better of it as I will /am feeling the same all to often.
Got to push on now what with the light staying around a little longer.
Hope the shoulder gets better soon.

J & P
:D :D :D

Sorry to hear about the pain. I deal with the damn stuff everyday. Assessment and treatment of pain is often complex.
The standard definition of pain is “whatever the experiencing person says it is, existing whenever the experiencing person says it does”
Motivation isn't the thing. Conquering the pain isn't the thing. Only you know what it is like. So, when and if you feel ready, take each moment by moment to realise and achieve. Tread carefully.

Hi Andy, sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope you're feeling better soon, then you'll have to build a carport it makes such a difference :D

Managed to spend a little time on the van.
Decided to check the chassis hole - made it bigger and will weld it up soon.

20170514_165514_zpsa9khynv4.jpg

20170514_165453_zpsc19dtc4b.jpg

Small and fiddly it will be.......

Quick question about the wiring - I think this is the diagnostic connector - can I remove it (so I can pull the cable through)??

20170514_151744_zpsfilt0xde.jpg

20170514_151751_zpsl7cnjsjn.jpg

20170514_151757_zpscmzvatkv.jpg

Are you re-wiring? If so I think you'll be fine. I removed mine fully and the new loom doesn't connect to it at all. If not re-wiring, I still think you can but worth a check of the wiring diagram to be sure!

kevinhall said:
Are you re-wiring? If so I think you'll be fine. I removed mine fully and the new loom doesn't connect to it at all. If not re-wiring, I still think you can but worth a check of the wiring diagram to be sure!
Was thinking of rewiring but not 100% sure yet as what is there doesn't seem brittle or knackered....
So, if I can gut the diag block off I should be able to pull it from the engine bay then get a new tube to put it in and feed it back in the engine bay!!

That's the theory! I'll caveat with I never tried to get it back in.

I found my tube under the van was rusted through so the the was in 2 pieces offset making it really hard to pull the loom through. And I'd cut all of the engine side wires off as I knew I was going to rewire.

I used some B&Q black plastic cable trunking to replace the broken pipe. The new loom pushed back through easily but was quite a lot smaller (rapidlooms so uses modern thin wall wires).

Learning my way around the wiring diagrams well putting it all back together!

OK - so not definitive answer yet, but like the idea of the black plastic trunking. What size was it?

No welding for ages and where I need to weld is awkward, especially with my dodgy shoulder so my attempt to night is crap:

20170525_193946_zpsk8yfuw5f.jpg

Anyway, will grind it back and address anything that needs it - will be strong and pass the MOT.

On another note, going to get it to the rolling stage then sell it as lost interest now........

After all you have put into it ??????????? :( Leave it alone for a while and then come back to it with new enthusiasm.
We all know you can do it. It's the summer that does it to you if everyone else is out and about , don't lose heart.

J & P
:D :D :D

Hi Andy. You've come a long way with this. I've just been reading The lifespan of bus ownership...in the General Earlybay Chat section. Give it a read. I reckon a top percentage of people here go through this anguish. Your shoulder pain isn't helping either. Like the guys above say...maybe put it on the back burner. Don't know if your bus is sitting there and playing on your mind. That can be a difficult situation. But it's lived a long time and won't mind waiting a bit longer for some more TLC. The older they get, the wiser they become. They recognise a trier when they see one. Whatever the choice, it'll be the right one for you yourself.

Cheers guys - I have thought about selling on numerous occasions and for whatever reason decided against it.
This time, I think it is what will happen - 12 years is a long time to be working on the van and not seeing it run.
My kids are now grown up so not bothered about it and the wife - patience of a saint ;)

Will try to finish off the final bits underneath then start to put the suspension back but will sort out the brake lines etc so it can be rolled around (easier to get on a low loader for whoever buys it!).

Don't do it Andy, we all think from time to time about selling, me included take a break I did now I'm slowly get back to it. My misses wants it to go because it's been sat on drive for years, stay strong I remember scalding my hands and how long it took me to get over that, your shoulder will get better it all takes time mate. Besides I'll have to find another post for references 👍👍👍👍

The crossover you have you know inside out. Down the line, (if you sell but I hope you don't) and you revisit the need to own another bus......would you go all out early? Consider another quirky mish-mash (gotta love a half 'n' half) or go late or even T25? If you're considering my last questions, then, just maybe, you still have the desire to have one in your life. If you you are thinking alternatives for ease (T4 or 5) then you still want the lifestyle. Whatever you do decide, don't put yourself into the position where you sit with a Jamie Oliver gas canister two ring cooker at the back of your car on a picnic blanket full of sandwiches and biccies on the beach or near a forest park. A dub will be sure to rock and roll up and snap your heart strings 😰 Been there, doing it and got the t-shirt. I hide away and use cafes nowadays and pay extortionate prices that could well have bought a bit of dub repair. Be warned. 🤑

Cheers chaps.
Wanting to go back to 2 wheels again to be honest (plus can be stored in my garage with my TT so win win ;)

Will be a while as want/need to get it rolling so will continue to repair as needed before all the suspension bits are put back (so will still spend a few quid on it!!)

I have just read through this again. I know how you feel, but take a break if you can and finish it when your mojo comes back :party0046:

I took a ten year hiatus, but even though I only got finished last year, the good times we've had since are priceless :D :D
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=69499

As has been said, you know every inch of your van, like I do mine which is pretty special, plus you'll get peanuts for an unfinished project :( so it even makes financial sense to finish, then sell if you still feel that way.

It would be a shame as you've done loads of great work and you should/would get so much from using the fruits of your labours for fun times. whatever you decide, good luck - you've saved a van either way ;)

Nobbly

Sad to hear you're thinking of selling; but I guess it is understandable (even if I don't agree with it!)

Hope the shoulder heals up soon - it is a right pain having to live with an injury.

All the best to you and yours :)

Latest posts