Quarter Light Refitted Seals - buggers wont close

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoote

Reaction score
I've just had the pleasure of putting new seals on all x3 quarter lights and putting the glass and back in- what an arse ache that was. Now all x3 are back together, I'm struggling to get them to shut. I used the C+C rubbers as I figured that they were the better options. Any tips or suggestions on what I can do to make them close?.....

...I think I'm going to have to shave away some of the rubber, for sure they are going to leak when I put them back in as they are. < Is that wise?

Don’t shave anything there’s no need, they ate a very tight fit, they will shrink given a bit of time, make sure they are fully into the grooved parts in the outer frame

Everything looks to be in the right place as far as I can tell. My concern is that there will be a gap on the exterior as I cant get them to shut fully. Do you reckon that will still be the case when I put them back in with the 3/4's ? Maybe that will change the frame shapes enough, or is that wishful thinking ?

I've just done the same for both my cab openers using Schofield rubbers. Was an awful job getting them in and seated right, the top of the glass just didn't want to close up and its still a bit squint. Kept at it till fully closed (without resorting to using a brick) and catch moved to close. I'm building doors up over the next few weeks, so figured to get them in and seated would mean time for the rubbers to settle down. I'm working on the basis that despite it being a right pain to do, the rubbers are in the right place and will sort themselves out...will see! I took @davidoft advice (from a question I asked in July) to drill out the two rivets on the frame rather than the one on the hinge and it was much tidier job.

Latest posts