Rear wheel hub nuts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cut em off if there stuck, 100 times quicker! :mrgreen:

easy said:
cut em off if there stuck, 100 times quicker! :mrgreen:

Don't cut them off, just invest in the right tools -so buy a good quality 3/4" socket and long breaker bar, or a £700 snap on gun (but you'll still need to torque it back up ;)

By the time I'd put 2 Scaff bars on my 3/4 breaker, given up, then got my heaviest mate to jump up and down on it, then heated the shit out of it, it would have been quicker to cut it off!!

I've got a torque wrench to use on reassembly - borrow it if your near ;)

r73 said:
By the time I'd put 2 Scaff bars on my 3/4 breaker, given up, then got my heaviest mate to jump up and down on it, then heated the shit out of it, it would have been quicker to cut it off!!

I've got a torque wrench to use on reassembly - borrow it if your near ;)

Exactly, they rarely come off with ease if you havent taken em off before, save yourself all the ball ache and just cut em off, takes seconds and then bung a couple of new ones one :mrgreen: easy squeezy! ;)

Well, I've had loads and loads of hub nuts off and without issue, a few weeks ago I had 20 sets off with a cordless snap on gun -and no weight of van / brakes applied to hold the drum.

Buy the right tool, cutting the nuts off is a mugs game -I have seen soo many damaged threads as a result.

If you do have to cut, be carefull and a little at a time then try and crack the nut, which wil then un-do

mattp said:
Well, I've had loads and loads of hub nuts off and without issue, a few weeks ago I had 20 sets off with a cordless snap on gun -and no weight of van / brakes applied to hold the drum.

Buy the right tool, cutting the nuts off is a mugs game -I have seen soo many damaged threads as a result.

If you do have to cut, be carefull and a little at a time then try and crack the nut, which wil then un-do

I'm pretty sure 40+ years ago the tool most people used was a Scaff bar not a £700 snap on gun :msn4:

r73 said:
I'm pretty sure 40+ years ago the tool most people used was a Scaff bar not a £700 snap on gun :msn4:

Yes, the point was that the sets were off the vehicle so you can have as long a scaffold bar as you like but what where you going to lock the hub up with so that you could use the bar???? ;)

As my first post on this thread the OP needs to invest in the right tools for the job 8)

mattp said:
.....but what where you going to lock the hub up with so that you could use the bar???? ;)

I made up a wheel lock by cutting up an old wheel to just over half the centre section and welded on a length of heavy angle. Take off a couple of wheel nuts, put the lock over the wheel, tighen up the wheel nuts again, roll the van so the angle is against the floor and you can jump up and down on your scaf bar as much as you want, you won't spin the wheel now!

i use this to remove those axle nuts .............

http://www.piersideparts.net/LR000133.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

works on flywheels and also makes it easy to torque everything properly.

vdubzen said:
i use this to remove those axle nuts .............

http://www.piersideparts.net/LR000133.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

works on flywheels and also makes it easy to torque everything properly.

By bus nuts are bigger than beetle (46mm not 36mm) so that in it's original form would not work -I have one and would have used it

Anyways, back to the point of the post -the OP needs to but a suitable breaker bar and socket, or know someone who has one they would borrow

I used a wheel brace, a car stand and a lump hammer. Two or three whacks and off they came.

What a dumbshit! Shouldnt offer comments unless you read the question clearly, or if you have a belly full of red wine, or if your as giddy as a school girl because you've got the next day off work!

48MM Socket welded to the end of a scaffold bar works a treet and plenty of WD40 and maybe some heat,
But not in that order LOL.

If the nut won't move with a socket and bar and you haven't got access to air powered tools knock it undone with a decent punch and hammer. Works for me on the 105mm rear hub nuts of Volvo FH12 trucks so it will work on the tiny nut on a Volkswagen ;)

Karlos

Latest posts