Red9desgn T2 wishbone suspension!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Value wise I think they sound fine, if they priced it at 2K everyone would be saying 'if they could only do it for £1500 I'd definitely buy one' so go with it, it cost's what it cost's. Plus the guys at Red 9 have currently offered 10% off to EarlyBay peeps if the sticky on the forum is still valid which means it'll set you back £1350 which sounds even better.

Anybody lucky enough to have had one fitted yet? It would be interesting to get some constructive feedback from someone who has tried it.

I tried bloody hard to get a firm answer as to when this would be coming out as it would have saved me a load of head scratching and probably money :roll:
My coil overs alone cost £500 to get converted from 911 shocks and do away with the torsion bars,
£1500 thats a bargain shame i couldn't have waited the 6 mounths or so it took from concept to production :oops:
Oh well at least mines a one off ;)

Ant let us know when Simon will have this ready to roll and other than the suspension what other parts (and typ, ie steering box) are needed? one Q im not sure if it was asked or answered.... will any ball joint spindle fit? eg. can i fit Wagenswest dropped spindles or does it only accommodate the red9 spindle and would that cost extra or do they come with the setup? just some Qs for Simon if hes reading or you bump in to him on your travels :D .

I have money set aside :D

Hmm, I'm liking the look of this :D

Anyone know if it narrows the track at all?

Depending on the drop it gives, and the ride quality, obviously. I think I'm about 5" down already, so I'd want to be going far lower. I can still crawl under my bus!

Anyone want to buy a 4" narrowed front axle? :shock:

Johnny said:
Ant let us know when Simon will have this ready to roll and other than the suspension what other parts (and typ, ie steering box) are needed? one Q im not sure if it was asked or answered.... will any ball joint spindle fit? eg. can i fit Wagenswest dropped spindles or does it only accommodate the red9 spindle and would that cost extra or do they come with the setup? just some Qs for Simon if hes reading or you bump in to him on your travels :D .

I have money set aside :D

I've text him. :)

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the interest!

I’ll try and cover as much of the stuff above as I can remember. If I’ve missed anything please feel free to give me ring!

Our kit bolts on to your chassis, replacing the beam, steering box and all associated linkages.
Comes complete to the spindles and includes all the mounting plates, wishbones, rack and pinion steering, column support brackets, bevel box, universal jointed link to rack and a few bolts.
All the wear parts are sourced from Volkswagens parts bin, so that spares should be readily available for many years to come. The wishbone bushes are an up rated Ford item which should also be available in the future.
The ride quality, steering sharpness and lightness are all outstanding! It blows my mind whenever I drive ours, it is so different to what was there before! The ride quality is the same at whatever height you choose! You are more than welcome to test our Bus.
Speaking of which, we attended Vanwest in Weston Super Mare last weekend. A little round trip of 420 miles towing a trailer full of kit!
NOTE: we did not trailer our Bus to the Show and try to sell products we don’t use.
It is adjustable for height using two methods. The first is a coarse adjustment on the 4 bolt holes. This give 3”, 4”, 5”, and 6” drop. Then there is approx. 1.5” on the coilover which makes a possible total of 7.5”! Fine adjustment can then be carried out using the coilover.
Stiffness is adjusted as our other coilovers using the knob at the bottom.
Camber is adjusted using the original camber nut we are all used to.
Caster is adjusted using shims to move the relative positions of the top and bottom wishbones. If it’s good enough for Lotus it’s good enough for me!
Toe is adjusted using the track rods as normal.
Using the coarse adjustment allows the wishbones to be kept at their optimum angles over a wider range of heights.
The track is 40mm narrower than a Bay and 24mm narrower than the Split, that was done so that by the time our adaptors are fitted if you want wide 5 wheels the track would be stock on a Split.
No narrower options are available as the wishbones would be too short to give good geometry control.
We use modified late Bay spindles so that disc brakes are available to all at reasonable cost (we could do it for £1800.00 for a Bay Kit with Late Bay Brakes Complete). Upgrades can still be used, from mild to wild as well as the wide variety of wheel and tyre combinations that are in use today.
We have already supplied customers (one for 944 brakes the other to keep his drums!) with early spindles and we can do this if you need them, however, it is difficult to get hold of them, we have to modify them in a few areas (not just the ball joint position) to make them fit and it is a pain in the arse! That’s why we ask you to supply them! The extra charge for doing this is £175.00.
We will not supply any kit without spindles ‘cos you think you can get it done cheaper. It’s our warrantee that you are messing with.

And that brings us onto the price…. There are probably many ‘experts’ that could do it for less, especially as we have now shown them how it’s done! However, they have no warrantee to give or after sales backup or even spare parts to provide, let alone the insurance required to design products.

Sales so far suggest our price to be spot on, so it’s £1500.00 for the Bay and £1650.00 for the Split Screen Based kit. The difference is that we supply a complete new column for the Split Screen Bus, and yes there is a hole down the column so you can use the Horn!

Whew! I think that’s it?

I have added some pics below too! bloody hell this is hard work! its taken all morning!

Hope that’s all good for you and look forward to speaking to you soon.

Cheers
Simon
Red 9 Design

Wishbonesideplate.jpg

Wishboneunderside.jpg

Wishbonewithbrakes.jpg

that is one gucci piece of kit Simon. I have already spotted my first upgrade and i havent even got my bus on the road yet :)

one question i have: with this setup the handling is obviously dramatically improved, but for someone wishing to go down the double wishbone route, would you recommend to address the rear suspension too? if so, which approach?

NaFe

Wow Simon,

I have always been convinced the King and Link Pin route is best on an Early bay, but after seeing this I see a route which offers a very clever, fairly priced option which can only improve life for those who want to go lower.

For those who like the narrowed look, if you fit CSP to an early spindle it will give you another -12mm and with the right wheel offset it will help bring those wheels under.

Will the rack be available on its own?

:shock:

not only does it look good, it sounds like the best suspension mod yet for bays AND you can throw the steering box out :D

I'll definitely be buying one of these, thanks for the detailed explanation Simon.

Johnny said:
:shock:

not only does it look good, it sounds like the best suspension mod yet for bays AND you can throw the steering box out :D

I'll definitely be buying one of these, thanks for the detailed explanation Simon.

ditto

How much to ship this to the US? (Chicago, IL area).

Any chance you've thought about partnering with a US based company for reproducing it locally. The price of the kit does not scare me... would buy this in a heartbeat, but I fear the shipping would KILL me...

By the way... great work R9 !!!

Tim

Shipping shouldn't be prohibitly expensive...
I doubt there are many members on here that haven't shipped something large in the opposite direction. :mrgreen:

I actually emailed R9 directly... not sure why I posted my "questions" here... LOL...

Hopefully shipping is reasonable... we'll see.

Of the many benefits that surround this design... can anyone determine the downsides (if any)? (don't say cost either ;) )

What about pics of the bevel box and linkage wheels down just to gauge how low that lot sits......sleeping policeman are unforgiving....

Latest posts