Red9desgn T2 wishbone suspension!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does look like an awesome piece of kit, if i had the cash spare i would have one right away! bearing in mind they are new, it could be the case that the price comes down with time. i dont think its a massive price bearing in mind what you get.

I know its not a good comparison, but look at the difference in the amount of enineering involved.

cache_756849110.gif

£650

or this
220220091382.jpg

£1500

so whats the score with the steering side of things is the stock steering box completely replaced?
If it is then I guess thats another major cost saving over a recon or NOS early bay steering box & all the lowering kit combined to properly slam a bus.

years ago now i remember reading a 'build' thread on a long-forgotten website by a guy who was putting double wishbone suspension on a splitty... very low, mahoosive rims and rubber, and i recall at the time thinking that while i'm not a great fan of coil-overs on VWs (possibly seeing as i once had a golf fall on my head whilst changing the 'shock absorbers' because i 'forgot' they were also the springing medium on non-torsion bar suspended cars... funny looking back now i suppose but i reckon i was maybe 3/4 of an inch away from being crushed to death - there really is no excuse for working on cars whilst extremely tired (or just plain 'thick') :( ) the way the guy had designed and built the thing, everything bespoke, inboard coil-overs with rocker arms, lots of clearance, almost infinite adjustability... it almost looked 'uber factory' in the C21 vernacular... like it had been built by a 'skunkworks' style VW secret project team... it had a stark beauty which reached out and touched me at a time when 'lowering' buses involved bolting an early bay beam into a splitty and winding the adjusters (if you were a real boffin :roll: ) round until you shook your fillings out on the bumpstops, and your balljoints squealed like beth ditto on a pork farms factory shop tour.

it was a very *elegant* installation.

Loxy

Not sure what happens with the existing column/steering box, the sign they had up said that the rack was included but from memory it didn't mention anything about the column etc, I presume there must be some kind of linkage between the two :?:

Graham L said:
I presume there must be some kind of linkage between the two :?:

NotRocketScience.jpg

don't get me started again
tongue.gif

you'll be needing a steering box which keeps the input from the driver's hands axial all the way from the steering wheel to the R&P... something like the bevel box in a T25, rather than the stock bay box which converts the axial motion of the steering column into the linear motion of the drag link. i would imagine :)

Yes I know its not Rocket Science I'm not that stupid I was trying to make the point that this wasn't mentioned on their bumpf they had put on the display and there was no sign of any linkage or similar with the display, perhaps its the new drive by wire type? :wink: :wink:

well, for me, and i have no connection with red9 whatsoever so this is all conjecture... it's all about shifting units at the end of the day... this is no bespoke one-off; it's designed to be able to be bolted in by joe public with as few hassles as possible, and so their stall (again, i wasn't there, i didn't see it) will have been designed for MAXIMUM IMPACT (see what i did there) which for 99.99% of the non-jaded, non-cynical VW bus owning masses means great big shiny things lying about all over the place... joe public doesn't know about steering boxes... he might have one but i bet he's never seen it... so of course the set-up will need one but who cares ? they'll supply one that they've made work and joe public'll bolt it in, easy...

i'm being facetious here (got any drawings :wink: ) but it's a bit like saying "hey, those T2D dropped spindles haven't got any wheel bearings on them... surely the hub will just collapse" the gold is in the re-worked spindle, and everything else is just window dressing 8)

Took me a while but found one with a councillor in it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dmo0008l.jpg

counCIllor not counSEllor :p

do you know what ? i was gonna put that "i don't mean to be pedantic" drawing up here but i've completely forgotten which thread it was we were arguing on :shock:

*and it seemed so important at the time*

:wink:

It would be nice to see the underside of a van with this set up fitted.

Any volenteers got a spare £1500 behind the sofa?

pissed myself laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw this beam at stanford hall and had a good chat with the bloke. The steering column, T25 bevel box and steering linkage to the rack is all included. You can use early bay spindles but you have to back bore the lower balljoint as it enters from the other side?? They said they could mod the spindles for £200 but I'd get that done by a local machine shop for quite a bit less.

Sadly I orderred a Creative beam the day after because I've already got the spindles and Creative Steering rack but if I'd have seen this 18months ago I'd have bought it without a thought.

Creative Rack £816
Weedeater Beam £528
Wagenwest Spindles £~350

Total = £1695 and that doesn't include a pair of spax coilovers so it'd be over £1700

I think they've priced it pretty well.

sorry to jump in on your chat

That looks like an awesome bit of kit
all i got to say if that was a grand i would be all over that like cheese on a mac :lol:

Latest posts