Replacement front panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibbler88

Reaction score
Hi, I posted a picture of my early bay and will replace the front panel to make it original as the indicators are by the grill. I was told it was a replacement panel but the later type.

Once the panel is off will it be easy to replace all the wiring with a new loom? I was told that they can catch fire with old wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, I’d have my wiring checked by someone competent if you’re not sure yourself but I’d not be in too big a hurry to do it so as to avoid a fire, it’s not something pyrotechnicly delicate unless it’s been outrageously butchered and or botched and I’m pretty sure if it’s that bad, you’ll smell the burning first, fortunately these old beauts do have fuses and they’ll generally do their job of protecting everything. Up the other end is where historically these have a few issues and that’s when people don’t check and or renew their fuel pipes and vents and filler. If these are original or cloth covered or modern and cracked then just consider them as dangerous and waiting to do a naughty naughty thing to your bus.
Before you hack off the front panel, it may be a good idea to source your new panel as there may not be as many early panels out there. At one time there was only the later panel available as a replacement and you had to blank the raised indicators and cut in your low lights, this could even be a better option if it’s in good shape.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,good luck with it :mrgreen:

Ozzie has raised a good point here, if your windscreen surround and grill aperture or ok it's a lot less work to just fill in top indicator holes and cut in new ones in the right place - Schofields now stock the low light indicator brackets on there own, or you can by the lower part of the panel if it's succumbed to the old Tin Moth. You can get the Headliggt and indicator part of the loom out from under the dash - I made up my own replacement as PO had just bypassed a burnt out side light wire. VW used non insulated space terminals originally, problem is over the years of being pulled on and off they can lose grip and fall off, with resulting short and possible burn out. I used insulated terminals from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd, they also do a top quality crimping tool. Try and avoid Chinese copies on E-Bay and expensive bubble packs from high street retailers. As ever with the electricary, if you're not competent get an expert in.

I keep trying to reply but it blocks me but I’ll try again.

Blanking off the indicators could work but is the grill on this the same size as an early bay?

I could get a bottom panel with the indicators as the balance does need replacing

As Wiggy says above ^^^ there are slight differences but you’d have to be extremely observant to notice the differences, I doubt I’d spot it unless I was told it was different, and then I’m not sure I’d notice.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,once upon a time, the late ones were all that was available :mrgreen:

Thank You All, aside from the vent being rounded I was wondering about the headlights and chrome surrounds, will I have to change those too.

I got the windscreen out yesterday ready to cut out the front panel. Only surface rust around the window in places so that was good.

Klassic fab do an early front panel. https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/baywindow_klassic_fab_repair_panels/front_panel_repairs/klassic_fab_complete_front_panel_bus_68-72_36557/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thank You 67Westy, I’ve seen that panel before on Skinner Classics YouTube (MCBergsma) they didn’t give a name but said it was far superior to the other panels and I remember the color.

That’s the one for me.

They seem to have a good reputation, when I had my bus restored o was told that the fit of their panels was really good compare to others

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts