Replacing Red9 Design

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave105

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I want to remove the Red9 Design lowering kit currently installed on my van. As the PO had these fitted I've no idea how to swap back to stock. The bump stops have been removed so does this mean that I now need shocks with internal bump stops?
Any advice would be very welcome.

Dave

remove the coliovers.
take off the trailing arms top and bottom both sides. Remove the red 9 rods.
Source and refit some torison springs for the tubes ( in place of the rods)
refit the trailing arms and fit standard shocks

You can live without the bump stops

It may be easier to swap the whole beam, bet someone on here would do you a straight swap.

Guess you want to get back to stock height? You could always fit longer coilovers and

Thanks Uber

Yup would like to see what my bus runs like when back to its normal height. Put the rear back up and now I have suspension again, only problem is that she now sits front down.
Doesent sound too bad a job, but guess it does involve removing top/bottom arms, is this a big job?

Good idea about using longer coilovers to get back to stock, hadent thought of that. But just fancy getting it back to how the good folks at VW designed it to work.

8.jpg

well I just managed to psot a pic without any text!!! Clever me!

The Red9 kit is already raised to the max as you can see in the -above- phote there is a fair amount of front rake.

i have some adaptors made by red9 that are made for your coilovers.They will lengthen/raise your ride by another 1inch or so.

Ant offer sounds a good idea. As you'll soon want to go down again once you're had a nose bleed at that height and been blown all over the motorway

going to keep hold of mine, sorry.... but contact simon(r9d) and i'm sure they will sort you out. They are very easy to fit you just need to take the coilovers off wind the top mount off screw in the adaptor and then reassemble. It wouldn't take any more than an hour to do. If you can get some and bring your bus to me i'll fit them for you.

I have a set of these too, they worked well for me, mine needed a bit of fetteling to fit though.

Hey Axel or Ant, as you both appear to have fitted The Red9 kit I was wondering if they came with any fitting instructions, if so I was wondering if I could get a copy so I can follow them in reverse if I decide to remove my coilovers.
Have also contacted Red9 about the raiser adaptor thingies, to get a price.

Which kit have you guys got appears there are 2" kits 2" to 4" and 4" to 5.5", how can you tell which kit is which when fitted, shock length?

Thanks Guys

I have red 9 fitted as well, 2" to 4" drop, the difference is the shock length as you suggested. They didnt supply fitting instructions when I asked. However its quite simple as per haynes manual for stripping the beam, shocks are just 2 bolts.

If you want send me a pm and I'll send you my phone number and talk you through it.

Latest posts