Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gvee said:
Oh, I also swapped in a new/old head unit. Basically so I could have a 3.5mm audio jack. I then sorted the door speakers and fitted check straps on the cab doors. Lots more to do on the audio front at a later date...

Do tell :msn4:

Sounds like you are moving forward on your van so fingers crossed for you.

vibh.jpg

:msn4:

Oh bugger. What a day!

So the plan was to get the THaus dropped spindles from my crossover and swap them on to Roxy. After reminiscing about how bloody annoying it was fitting them in the first place we decided that the easiest option was to simply swap the beams.

Dropping the beam off the crossover took about 2 hours :roll: We undid everything, removed the beam bolts and when we lowered the jacks... the beam stayed put! It took us about 30 minutes to free the beam from the chassis (see picture in previous post).

Started stripping the beam off Roxy. After whipping off both callipers I lay under the bus and it was only then that I realised something.

Roxy has a servo. The other van does not. The other beam doesn't even have a bracket for one!

So back to the drawing board we went and it was decided that fabricating something was out of the question because of timescales and not sure we had anything that would cut the centre hole through he gauge of steel required.

I started stripping the other beam for the spindles and then realised that I simply could not get the ends apart without something to pull against. So we put the beam back in the crossover (which was certainly easier than removing it :D ).

So both vans are now disabled, up on axle stands on the driveway.

Ran out of daylight and feeling in fingers after only getting one set of trailing arms and spindles back on to Roxy.

Fingers crossed for less rain and wind tomorrow as our makeshift cover won't take much more :lol:

If anyone have any standard spindles and trailing arms for a '71-'72 (disk brake) model that they want to swap for a lowered set let me know ASAP before they go on the crossover.

You will get there - honest :D .
About the spindles - could do a swap if you want (perhaps with the ones I have bought from Si)??

gninnam said:
About the spindles - could do a swap if you want (perhaps with the ones I have bought from Si)??
Time is running out!
I thought you didn't want to go low Andy?!
Also, don't think I can't leave the crossover immobile for that long :S

gvee said:
gninnam said:
Time is running out!
I thought you didn't want to go low Andy?!
Also, don't think I can't leave the crossover immobile for that long :S

Just a thought - or you could have the one's off my van now (need new ball joints though)??
I could try the lowered and if I like, then keep them on and sell the one's off Si??

Graham has already popped the windscreen and things are better than first hoped!

The lip is intact all the way round and the rust appears limited to the outer edge. Looking through the holes to the inner panel and it doesn't look like it's caused problems inside. Phew! 8)

fpus.jpg

iiae.jpg

x6z9.jpg

9uvy.jpg

The bit in the A-Post doesn't appear too bad either (hit good metal pretty quickly)

afpw.jpg

My front panel was smoothed out by a previous owner and I want it putting back to stock: grille and indicators please!

Unfortunately the lower indicators aren't there underneath anything (let me know if you have a body cut please!)

0e3r.jpg

Now for the... filler :?

0hxn.jpg

hpi7.jpg

6dw0.jpg

About 3mm thick, very old and rock solid.

Graham performed the magnet trick. The following images show where the magnet sticks outlining the problem area...

p9th.jpg

d1q2.jpg

cguq.jpg

gcgn.jpg

7d98.jpg

I've exactly the same rusting and in the same places. Lower valance and window lip. Will you replace the window panel/lip and lower valance or cut out the rust and replace? Stuck in two minds myself. ;)

Not to bad around the window like you say :D

Filler not to deep either ;)

Sounds like Graham should have this all sorted by the end of the week then :lol:

Ashmando said:
I've exactly the same rusting and in the same places. Lower valance and window lip. Will you replace the window panel/lip and lower valance or cut out the rust and replace? Stuck in two minds myself. ;)
The lip that the rubber sits on doesn't look like it needs any repair work so it should just be cut out and replace on the bulge section. The theory is that by not touching the aperture the screen should have no [added] issues popping back in ;)

gninnam said:
Not to bad around the window like you say :D

Filler not to deep either ;)

Sounds like Graham should have this all sorted by the end of the week then :lol:
Yeah, genuinely pleased as I thought it would be far worse than it is!
Filler isn't as deep as some we've all seen but it is stuck on there good.

At least you can see where the holes for the badge go..!!?? :lol:

Don't want to drill mine for a badge as to scared..!! :D

Good work, keep the pic's coming... :)

Saw the picture of him on facebook in a mask and visor ready for the cutting open operation..!!! :)

Gwar72 said:
Saw the picture of him on facebook in a mask and visor ready for the cutting open operation..!!! :)

Just saw that too :lol:

For those that didn't see it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153713302210188&set=a.10150302475925188.567983.335373445187&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks serious does that..
Sure Graham will do his magic on the front panel.

Keep the update coming (and not on fb as don't use it) :D

New beam should arrive tomorrow.
Calculations being done on how best to modify the existing tubs.
Sadly one of my "good" doors to replace on one the bus is in a worse state than expected so a replacement is being sourced.

Couple of pictures

58uy.jpg

2ccr.jpg

Latest posts