rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beam off.

Beam on....

After a nightmare hour where I couldn't remove the torsion leaves from the "old" beam (and got the drift I was using to remove them stuck :roll: ), I ended up having to use a "stock" set from the workshop as one set of mine had a couple of snapped leaves.
Cutting to the new required length and drilling new location dimples was a right pain in the ass as well, what a dirty horrible job.
Especially when you lose concentration and drill the dimples the same side as the centre one. :lol:

That'll do for tonight, finish off tomorrow.
Really looking forward to shortening the trackrods.

Part 2.

So today, shorten and refit track rods.

Sort tyre interference issue.

Sorted

Bleed brakes, reconnect handbrake cables, refit wheels, gearshift rod and stick, set beam adjusters, and check everything again.
Fit pedal pan
Done, off the ramp.

Only on 1/3 of the adjusters travel and lost 3".
:D

And back home.
Ride's rock hard and absolutely atrocious, no front suspension travel at all. I think I'll check that the front shocks aren't bottoming out.
Need to get the tracking done as well, now too low for the ones at the workshop. :lol:
Other than that, I'm happy with the fit and stance. Could go down more once the exhaust has been modified for ground clearance.

Yer man!! 8)

I had shock fouling the bolts on the drop spindle which made for a crap ride, it was sorted! .......... after wrecking the first set that is!! :roll:

looks sweet Si. :D

So, that'll be the problem then.

udQBl.jpg

8AImS.jpg

Have a guess what I'm doing next.

If you have a 4" beam you'll need the narrowed arms. I got mine from Slamwerks before they got ruined :roll: I had to mod mine even more though due to having a 6" beam. Get that sorted and it will ride lush 8)

Looks cool as though

Top work Si!
Bet that "ride" back was a little jarring!

Good spot on the interference point - looks like a fun fix

So, after an uncomfortable journey to the workshop I started on the suspension issues.
After a couple of hours trying to remove one of the lower shock boss studs, it snapped off.
Drastic action required. Cut the remainder of the shock boss off, drilled the stud out, tapped and welded a 12mm bolt into the hole, and ordered a pair of narrowed trailing arms. :lol:

This was taken just before I snapped a 10mm drill bit in the hole. :roll:

srpTb.jpg

Both sides done, and dropped off the ramp.

EewvT.jpg

2jgmu.jpg

Ride's back to normal, full suspension travel without crashing or banging or tyre rubbing.
The only issue I've got is the un-nerving random lack of steering when the trackrods foul the chassis. :? :lol:

Notches next then....

Again - very good work mate
So jealous you have the use of a lift!

Us peasants have to rely on axle stands and lying on our backs! :lol:
Be awesome when done though!

Latest posts