rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed the stripping out.
Bought a breathable cover from JK, so I don't have to put the van back together completely every time.
Bit the bullet today, and the credit card just ordered a welder.
Going to be an experience that's for sure.

Stripped out scabby diy interior and binned that.
Picture007.jpg

then polystyrene insulation and tinfoil stuck to every panel and the floor.
Picture017.jpg

quick tip, if you've got insulation behind your panels, check it once a year or the condensation will rot your van from the inside.
Picture043.jpg

I've got a willing helper at the moment, but can't get her to weld yet.
Picture045.jpg

Not to exciting yet, got to replace both front arches and seatbelt location points to get MOT, and then I'll be able to drive to and from mate's workshop.
This arch is the better of the two.
Picture031.jpg

At least I've got the rear lights in and working.
Wife wants the van painted the colour coming through the primer on the engine cover.
Picture006.jpg

Oh yes! What about the rear corner and roof?
Picture033.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Fresh air grille just filled over as well!
Picture041.jpg

If you look carefully you can see van crying with relief

Looks like someone went a bit nutts with the filler... :shock: you have alot of sanding to do.

i added some images tags, im too lazy to open new windows :D

Won't be sanding for a while.
This van hasn't had much tlc over the last few years, I'm the 14th owner so far.
But I'm going to do this keeper properly.
Going to take it slow and steady, and replace as much metal as it needs.
Probably spend much much more time and money than I want, and the wife will ever know about. :wink:

sparkywig said:
Won't be sanding for a while.
This van hasn't had much tlc over the last few years, I'm the 14th owner so far.
But I'm going to do this keeper properly.
Going to take it slow and steady, and replace as much metal as it needs.
Probably spend much much more time and money than I want, and the wife will ever know about. :wink:

I can here myself in that statement :wink: lets hope she never finds out the full extent :wink:

Wife found the new welder in the garage today.
Took a bit of quick talking to get out of that one I can tell you.

Try to get horn and brake lights working tomorrow, and then start welding practice.

Progress report.
Got brake lights, side lights, main and dip beam working.
Got original horn working :D
Now booked in for MOT.
Started collection of parts, complete offside rear corner cut, front arches, and then got distracted with buying a pair of opening front quarter lights and have my eye on a set of BRM's.
Nothing like buying the important bits first, eh? :wink:
Van leaks like a sieve though holes in roof over rear cargo door, so this is the only sign of progress at the moment.

Still stops the neighbours complaining.

Nice one mate,

Wife found the new welder in the garage today.
Took a bit of quick talking to get out of that one I can tell you.

Good luck! and remember, it's always just borrowed from a mate, or second hand, never bought new...

How do you guys come up with the wad of cash needed for panels 'n stuff anyway?
If my girlfriend hadn't co-funded the project I wouldn't have been able to start it!
For panels alone I've paid close to 1000 EUR.
Not to mention the welder, a few thousand cutting discs, same amount of grinders :?

I guess I'd better start a second job or something? :lol: :lol:

Hooray, the covers off, BRM's on. :D

Managed to get 195/60/15's on the back, fitted OK on the off-side, but needed the grinder to remove the 2 arches, yes 2, on the near-side. :shock:
Just need to get the arches done, replace the rear corner and front panel, get the doors to fit properly, stop the roof leaking, get rid of the s*it primer

OK then. Right, onto the suspension travel or lack of it. The po had wound the rear down 3 splines, and the front to match, which is why it was such a bugger to get the wheels on and off, and such a bitch to drive on anything not surfaced like a snooker table. So back up a spline on the back and matched on the front.
From this

to this

Hmmm, must do something about those arches :)

Latest posts