say hello to the Beeglebus.....!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
So named as the one and only owner of this one :shock: was called Daniel Beegle!

71 california import, rock solid, interior scruffy but complete. Just applied to the DVLA for the import pack to register him. MOT this Friday (can be done on the chassis number), then will be stripped right out this weekend prior to going into the paintshop next week.

DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2045.jpg

Got loads of receipts and stuff with the van, including the original Tourist Order and Bill of Sale!! Cost just over $3200 new in 1971.....

And the VW birth certificate! Very handy as I will need that for the registration process.

I did a google search on 2 of the VW garages in California that the owner used in the 80's for servicing, one is still there (!), and the other is a Porsche garage. Might have to email them and see if they have any old records.....

will post up more piccies as the resto continues.....happy days........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

V.Nice and impressive buy. 8)

Good luck with the resto and do keep us uptodate :wink:

Cheeky!! very nice indeed 8)

oooooooooh no.....!! far too dirty on the inside for me...us girlies don't like dirty buses!!

8) 8) :lol: :lol:

more piccies at the weekend...

Nice van :D reminds me of what mine looked like inside when i got her. It cleaned up fine and we had a great year in her as she was!

a day buffing and polishing and that would come up loverly!

thought you girlies liked cleaning?
:roll:

im joking, im joking! :wink:

spent all day stripping out the bus ready to go off to the paint shop....buses always look so forlorn when they're all emptied out......

no horrors underneath the units thankfully...new battery tray and a couple of holes in the cab floor on the drivers' side, I think I can cope with that!

30yrs worth of dirt and tat under all the units, yuk! looking forward to getting him back and re-fitting it all after a good clean up. Takes a day to empty a bus and another 6 weeks to put it all back.... :shock:

DSCN2145.jpg

DSCN2143.jpg

DSCN2147.jpg

DSCN2144.jpg

more piccies next week when the prep work starts at the paint shop... :lol: :lol:

well a bit of a delay at the paintshop due to other work on the go, but it has now been started...... :lol: :lol:

all the lights and trim off and started the prep work. The front panel needs some work as it has suffered a frontal 'bump' in the past. But John the master panel man will work his magic as ever......!

a few dinks and donks in the panels from over the years but nothing too drastic.

DSCN2180.jpg

DSCN2186.jpg

the biggest suprise was finding that the recent blow-over paint job that the bus had after arriving in the UK (which we did know about before buying it ) had been done in household paint............. :shock:

which has meant lots of sanding back to be done before any primer can go on as it will react and peel off......deep joy. The primer will have to be put on very thickly and be left for a few days to harden properly and then checked for any reaction. If it does react it will all have to come off again....

DSCN2184.jpg

glass out next, and onwards with the prep work.....more piccies next week, hopefully with the van in primer!

While the primer is hardening the front beam will be removed and have adjustors fitted, along with new balljoints and brake discs. The rear will be dropped by one spline to level the bus out.

Lots of work to go yet.........

Think yourself lucky it was thirty years of dirt my cali import came with a familly of widows :eek: :shock:
nice looker I seem to be the only one whos been lumbered with a duff spray shop :evil:

bought from a good friend of mine who regularly imports vans and bits.........he'd had it here in his yard for about 10 months, but he didn't realise I was looking for an earlybay tin top!

a chance phone conversation and the deal was done............

off to Stonor on Sunday to buy (yet more.....) rubbers and trim bits etc etc etc, but you can always get a good deal at shows so if your buying lots of stuff then it's a must really.

happy days..... :lol: :lol:

Hurrah the paint is on!

The boys had a complete nightmare with the household paint as it reacted with the primer.... :evil: :evil: at one stage they had a not so lovely crackleglaze bus....:shock:

but after lots of (re) rubbing down they got there in the end.....and what a great job. John worked his magic with the front panel as well, happy days....!

DSCN2284.jpg

DSCN2289.jpg

DSCN2291.jpg

photos are only of the front as it's indoors at the mo and there wasn't much room! Now all the fun starts with putting all the trim and glass back.....more updates soon!!

Looking good dude! welcome to the beige massive! :lol:

Latest posts