Seeing as we are talking adjusters....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin

Reaction score
Can i go lower, or is this, as I expect at maximum adjustment.
DSC00748.jpg

Should I be worried that it is actually only half the plate making contact?

That will be it Marvin the slot dictates the amount of travel and its looking maxxed out, I suppose with regards only half the plate in contact it was designed with that much travel, and the surface ares is greater than at first glance on account of the toothed profile....

Araon said:
That will be it Marvin the slot dictates the amount of travel and its looking maxxed out, I suppose with regards only half the plate in contact it was designed with that much travel, and the surface ares is greater than at first glance on account of the toothed profile....

Cheers. As I thought then. New beam on the cards soon then :wink:

Looking at picture of adjuster, it looks like its set at its highest so loads of lowering left. Steve

Agree

Having played with my adjusters today, if the adjusters are on the back of the beam which they look like they are, the lower the adjuster sits the higher the bus sits, to get it lower the asdjuster travels upwards, hope that makes sense.

Cheers guys.

You know I was wondering that, but wasn't ballsy enough to say. It kind of makes sence.

OK, next question, avoiding the possibility of the bus collapsing on top of me, whats the best way to drop it. The only way I can really think of is placing a jack under the beam to support it, undo the bolts and drop it down gently on the jack onto something conveniently placed under the chassis rails?

Any better, more sensible ideas?

I Jacked mine under the beam and supported the chassis on axle stands but I was trying to raise mine rather than lower it.

Once on axle stands and with the adjusters undone if you jack under the bottom damper mount that will compress and should move your adjusters up but as I found they sometimes need an extra push to get them to move.

Not sure about lowering it on the jack to adjust as you still need to get back under to tighten the adjusters up.

I may be talking complete B***cks and I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon :D

To be honest I didnt look at the orientation just took it that it was front mounted, that will teach me to look at the wider picture....

Sometimes it will take the weight of the van to move adjusters,if so let the van down onto the top of small ramps, concrete or wooden blocks,when low enough get under and tighten pinch bolts.

I used a high curb once to do this and it worked quite well. It was a bit of a squeeze though. :D I have also used the axle stand method and used a jack on both lower shock mounts.

Find a friend with a pit or go to a friendly garage with some ramps.

Cheers guys.

I think plan will be:

a) Jack van up on beam
b)Place axle stands under beam with clearance
c)Place blocks under wheels to desired height
d)slowly release jack until beam rests on axle stands, and wheels sit on blocks (higher in relation)
e)Slide under and undo adjuster,reposition, tighten back up.
f) Jack up van, remove blocks, lower back to original position.

Result.

Sounds easy doesn't it. :D

Just remember that you might be able to lower your beam with adjusters more than the ball joints have travel.

Prepare to raise the wheels to move adjusters. Might need extra hands.

Make sure that adjuster teething is in place well before tightening.

ive got a foksey on mine..... real bitch to adjust cos its weled in on the top of the beam!!!

but i jacked it up, released the ajuster, lowered the whole bus again so the wheels were resting on some blocks.... gives more clearance to get back underneath to tighten the adjuster... and then climbed onto the bumper and bounced the thing up and down with all my weight to get the adjuster to shift! once you have desired amont of drop...climb under and tighten he thing back up.... hey presto!!!

sometimes like 67 bay says.. it takes lot of oomph to get that adjuster moving...
i rang the blokey at the palce that sells the foksey and he said... and check this... loosen the adjuster right off... then take the bus for a drive preferably down a road with some speed bumps! when you hear a loud crack you know the adjuster has freed up!!!!! yeah that and the sound of me bumper digging up the road, my wheels dumping up into the arches...oh and the sound of me shitting myself!!!! not to mention the double decker bus that i am on a collision course with after having just totally lost control of my wagon!!!!!! wtf?!?

Latest posts