Serpentine Pulley System

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvel

Reaction score
Gonna be running just shy of 2110cc with stroker, now would you run a serpent pulley system or not. Obvious advantages but are they worth the money?

They make less noise when running and don't slip as much. Dunno if they last longer though?

Been told they last quite a bit longer but not run one myself yet. Got one for the engine that is going in my Split hopefully later this year.

i m using a cb setup well worth the money :) http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m591/unicoder70/251326_10150224512395969_731670968_7716856_4284814_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heard lots of horror stories about these, the bearings are shonky in the cam and they tend to fail and then your stuffed! IMO not worth the money, I always look to the race/road hardcore and if they won't touch them I wont! ;)

The slip on the original pulley system is actually a good thing for your alternator. No slip and it might get damaged because the rise in rpm might be too harsh for it. And the cool air fan might explode more easily..

They LOOK bitchin`. Can`t say that adding a moving part to a system that doesn`t have any moving parts makes much sense but...If you spend at least you are stimulating the economy. :p

alex4057 said:
heard lots of horror stories about these, the bearings are shonky in the cam and they tend to fail and then your stuffed! IMO not worth the money, I always look to the race/road hardcore and if they won't touch them I wont! ;)

I had heard (from a very knowledgable sort) that with a more powerful engine the fan starts to slip and so you don't get the cooling you would expect. But if they're not using them on the circuit it would seem that they aren't necessary. Saved me £230 notes, but they do look cool!!
Cheers Alex

I'm going to be running one on mine. With the 90 amp alternator it is (apparently) a requirement. I'll post a picture once it's fitted.

Humps.

fastwagens said:
it doesnt make HP. and doesnt do anything different than the stock.

Correct, it doesn't increase HP, but because it effectively tensions the belt it in theory should stop slippage and keep the fan spinning......or so I'm told

roland said:
The slip on the original pulley system is actually a good thing for your alternator. No slip and it might get damaged because the rise in rpm might be too harsh for it. And the cool air fan might explode more easily..

As Roland pointed out you want the belt to slip as otherwise you can destroy your fan ;)

Found this post on VZi interesting: it's from "63ragtop" a beetle drag racer:

"serpantine belts are the future I have the new speed shop system which has dry sump size ali bottom pulley with steel hub and 3 different ali top pulleys (also with steel hubs) this gives you total fan speed control to suit you engines cooling needs. And as the top and bottom pulleys are smaller than stock it keeps the belt speed down too. Plus its the only way I can keep a fan belt in tact at 8000RPM

The crank pulley steel hub also comes with crank trigger machined on it"

Looks like if you have the serpentine system sourced and fitted by a good engine builder, he would get the cog sizes right for the fan application and alternator draw etc. Then you shouldn't have to rely on "slip" to managed your fan speed. The belt should also last longer and be more reliable, not to mention much easier to fit and adjust without dicking around with any shims!

Read more: Individual Belts Vs. Serpentine | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6136226_individual-belts-vs_-serpentine.html#ixzz1lhXxS1AV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that relies upon fitting a smaller bottom pulley to your bus, something that has always been frowned upon,

John 63 ragtop does know his stuff and am not arguing against his views, just that that is applicable to a hard driven street/strip bug not a bus.

with a bus on long journeys you'll not be pulling 8000rpm EVER, you'll be lucky to get over 4000rpm, this then halves your fan speed and will be likely to cause over heating.

I know Mark from autotechniks is going to be experimenting with bottom pulley sizes and therefore engine temps on his next engine, but personally I'd always be tempted to errr on the side of caution rather than risk over heating.

Sounds like that might be a good thing for a race car. My bus gets used for travel and I would hate to be on the road and need some exotic part. When after all, the simplicity of a VW engine is the beauty of it. To pull 8000 rpm there is a lot more that has been changed than the pulleys.

Latest posts