Shiplee' s 1969 California westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can get this bus up n running hopefully we will do a few holidays this year.
May get to come down south during the summer I hope?

Today I've really been feeling like getting on with the bus but annoyingly I gotta work.
Fridays is the only day I get during the week to get really stuck in!

I've ordered my bed ( got a second hand bluebird bed off eBay )
Parts needed to get it through mot have now arrived
Ply headliner ordered from rackhams
Spoked to classic core upholstery in norwich ( who did my last headliner in my panel ) he's gonna sort my bed cushions , covers and door cards maybe as early as in the next couple of weeks

I've gotta wait to get some 2k delivered for a freshen up inside the bus.

In the mean time I can carry on getting the sticky glue of the interior walls , oh joy !

I've also had a chance to look at some of the pics the chap who I got the bus from put on a flash drive

Some interesting pics I'll try get some put up soon

It's Friday yay , I get a bit of time on the bus
Started off getting the old floor tiles up , blood sweat , and nearly tears later , blinking tiles were glued down with nothing I've ever seen before , cut my hands up

The tiles had to come up as I wonted to get to the screws to lift up the floor to check out any problems.

Next was to finish off getting that old sticky glue off the walls
That's now finished ready for a light interior respray

Started working on door cards
There are only 3 missing so thought I'd hand make two of them
I hand made the two beside the r n r bed cos I wonted them in one piece and to go all the way back beside the back cushion

This afternoon I drove to norwich to classic core
This chap done my headliner in my panel van
Absolutely superb craftsmanship

He's gonna cover my 3 remaining door cards and make my r n r bed foams n cushion covers

Shame he's moving to Germany soon he's one of the best around

He started off with minis but he does loads of vw's
I think I've mentioned before , type two detectives use him !

Called in at b n q on the way home
I was looking for something to replicate the j channel used to hold in the new headliner I've ordered as my bus is missing the Chanel's
Someone on I think samba mentioned they had done something similar!
I couldn't find what that chap found but found something that I think may work
I'll post pics when I make a start on that next project
Also picked up a rivet gun so all ready to roll !

Fairly successful day :D

A few pics of the bus which I was given on a memory card when I purchased it.
The first was when it was first imported I guess?

This was it before it had it's restoration and full respray
I think it was in lovely condition and I liked the original paint, I would have taken it as it was lol

My j rails are missing for my headliner so I found this from b n q.
It needed a bit of altering but will work absolutely fine
When I get the interior resprayed I'll get this done as well so you won't know any difference

Got fed up at work today so gave up a little early ( I'm the boss so my rules lol )
My bus had a new fuel line fitted but I didn't like the route it took into the engine bay and also the previous owner had left a small section of braded pipe in so I decided to remove it all and start again.
I think it's good when u buy a new bus to start off with a new fuel line.

eBay item no 370416855594

I've used these before and seem quite good

Forgot to mention the fuel filter was located in the engine bay and sat resting on top of the alternator .
I'm sure that's not good practice ?
it's now been put above the gear box which is where I think is the best place to put it

shiplee123 said:
If I can get this bus up n running hopefully we will do a few holidays this year.
May get to come down south during the summer I hope?

Give us a shout if you do :) Loads to do locally and I may even get a run out in my bus!!! Plus if you get stuck I have a well stocked fridge, err garage and know the local experts!!!

J.

Ok chap if we get down your way I'll let u know!
We were gonna do France this year but as the wife's preggas we thought we would stay in this country instead!

Rackhams of Ipswich contacted me to tell me my headliner was ready for collection so I decided to go and collect it this morning
Shame about the floods on the way!

Latest posts