Shocks bottoming out? Is that even possible?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Nell

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had my back end lowered on my 72 X Dresser (phnaar) and ever since have been driven absolutely mental by the banging coming from it.
The back end was lowered 3 inches to match the front end that was a cut n twisted beam when we bought her. The chassis was notched shortly afterwards tp stop it bottoming out on the chassis going over bumps and it did make it a lot better, however; the banging now occurs when the arms bottom out. :|

Is there any way around this? Shorter shocks, longer shocks, Gas shocks? :?:

I really will try absolutely anything to go back to no knocking as its spoiling the drive now :evil:

TIA, Gav

Best bet is to remove the shocks, and put the van back on its wheels

Have all the weight in the van so interior, engine etc,

Push the van forward and back lots to help the suspension settle after being jacked up.

Then climb underneath and measure from the centre of the top to the centre of the bottom shock mounting bolt hole.

This gives you a middle at rest shock measurement.

You can then give us a call 01273 444 000 and speak with one of the sales team. Or take a look in our Catalogue, we list our shock with travel measurements.

You are looking to have a minimum of 50mm travel each way and try and get a shock which puts your at rest measurement as close to the centre of travel as possible.

This should ensure you have a shock that doesn't top or bottom out.

Hope this helps,

All my best,

Alex

Old_Nell said:
Hello all,

I recently had my back end lowered on my 72 X Dresser (phnaar) and ever since have been driven absolutely mental by the banging coming from it.
The back end was lowered 3 inches to match the front end that was a cut n twisted beam when we bought her. The chassis was notched shortly afterwards tp stop it bottoming out on the chassis going over bumps and it did make it a lot better, however; the banging now occurs when the arms bottom out. :|

I really will try absolutely anything to go back to no knocking as its spoiling the drive now :evil:

TIA, Gav

A notched chassis on a three inch drop?

If you have a one spline drop and rear and similar drop up front that shouldn't be required. Are you sure it hasnt been lowered two splines? Any pics?

Clem said:
Old_Nell said:
Hello all,

TIA, Gav

A notched chassis on a three inch drop?

If you have a one spline drop and rear and similar drop up front that shouldn't be required. Are you sure it hasnt been lowered two splines? Any pics?

Yeah I was a bit puzzled by this as well, my van is 2 splines down and haven't notched the chassis.

I'll be honest with you, the back end drop was done by my local VW guys and he said it was a three inch drop to match the front.
The notching definitely helped.

This is Nell as she stands now with full interior inside.

This is Nell at the garage having been lowered and with no interior inside.

Happy to try anything!

If you look at myvanways thread there is a guide to things you can trim back to stop it knocking.

Your van has been lowered by two splines at the rear, not one. Short shocks will help you out and I would also practice removing a rear wheel in case of a puncture!

In all honesty, I'd get it raised by one spline, or fit adjustable rear springplates if you want to run that low.

Yep, I'd go with that.
TBF I never said it was 1 spline... I said it had been dropped 3 inches. :msn4:

I'll have a look and see what shocks I can get when I get home next week. I do love the stance, but the banging drives me mental.
As for wheel changing, yep, it's emotional! :shock:

Thanks all.

Old_Nell said:
Yep, I'd go with that.
TBF I never said it was 1 spline... I said it had been dropped 3 inches. :msn4:

I'll eat my hat*, if thats a three inch drop! :mrgreen:

* I dont have a hat

It looks good, and I reckon the short shocks will stop the banging. :D

Are you sure its not the driveshafts contacting the chassis?
Might be the case rather than needing to change shocks

Thanks Clem, I'm hoping the shocks will square it away.

StuF, the drive shafts were hitting the chassis, hence the notching. The notching seemed to sort out the majority of the banging but it now bangs on downward motion rather than the upward... does that make sense?

Got it mate - missed the bit where you mentioned it was notched already! :msn4:

Best bet is some decent slam shock then - when I replace mine I am going to get some (expensive) custom jobbies from here

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk/shock-absorders.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Protech-polished-logo.jpg

Gaz also sell off the shelf adjustable shocks in multiple different lengths.

https://issuu.com/edeuro/docs/gaz_2015_catalogue_v1final/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towards the back of that catalogue, about £65 each I think but almost unlimited length and stroke sizes available.

Edit - sorry, can't find them in that catalog anymore, must have been a different one that I cant find now! They do sell them though, they are the Gaz GT Dampers.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Try giving them a ring mate, they will sell you them direct from what I gather.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Latest posts