Shorty's '71 Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
I've just realised I've not posted any pictures of my bus in here before...

So, here goes!

A few plans a are afoot, I'll post here regularly to keep you all up to date!

When I bought it 12 months ago, it looked like this...

a1f8734f.jpg

Now, after fitting adjustable spring plates, some stock wheels and doing a few other jobs here and there, it now looks like this...

86e8b7cc.jpg

Although, the over-riders have been removed for now... I'm not sure if I prefer it with or without!

86e8b7cc.jpg

nice bus where did you get the front bra/cover?

also if you want to sell overriders id be intrested

cheers
andy

andydev said:
nice bus where did you get the front bra/cover?

also if you want to sell overriders id be intrested

cheers
andy

The bra is from Spirit of the 50's...

not sure about the over-riders at the moment... the jury is out on whether to keep them or not...

You got first dibs if I sell!!

Haven't updated this for a little while mainly because I decided to sell it, no keep it, no I'll sell it and get a tin top, no actually it's a solid bus, I'll keep it....

So, having settled on keeping it, then I guess I'd better make it how I want it... It's lovely at the moment, the exterior has had a little body work and a respray, the interior is all original westy.... for now... I know, some will think I'm bonkers to change it, but at the end of the day, the bus has to work for us as a family so it will soon be changing... More on that later!

For now, I decided to get a few of the important things sorted out, and also sort out a few cosmetic things to - give her a spruce up for the 2012 season!

The bus is still in the workshop (thanks to Mark @ the Howling Wolf Speedshop), but here a few sneak previews of what's been going on....

Front end before: note the panel behind the bumper was left as primer by the previous owner.. quality! :shock:

920a68dc.jpg

After... lower panel sorted and grill colour coded...

b7f0ec9a.jpg

Door shuts being painted.. also left as primer by the previous owner...

f9155e06.jpg

And the roof now being stripped ready for primer and new paint.. needed after damage caused / initiated by the rain at Bristol Volksfest last year - those that were there on Friday evening will know what I mean!!

80bb94d2.jpg

A little sneak preview of the way the interior will be going... I got the from a chap over on thewrongbay

6845547577_65a9572c17.jpg

Thanks to Lizzie @ Delilahs VW Interiors, they now look like this...

a6367c0b.jpg

also being carried out is the following:

New electric screenwash bottle
New horn
New rear brakes and handbrake cables
And the inside of the cab doors have also been painted as one of those was left as primer too!

Keep an eye on this space! :)

Nice bus, good result on deciding to keep it, what you doing with the interior? I changed my mint OG Westy to suit us too this winter.

Oh and I remember the storm at Bristol last year :lol:

Just

creationblue said:
Nice bus, good result on deciding to keep it, what you doing with the interior? I changed my mint OG Westy to suit us too this winter.

well, the westy is coming out, i know that for sure as I've already sold it!, all I know that is going in so far is a Rusty Lee full width RnR bed trimmed up by Lizzie (Delilahs) with some new interior panel cards and some curtains...

Also got a new canvas to fit too

By the way... did you remove the side panels? I haven't had a close look at this yet but I'm looking at fitting panels similar to that found in a microbus.. which would mean removing the rails that hold the ply side panels....

creationblue said:
Oh and I remember the storm at Bristol last year :lol:

Just

Remember! I'll never forget it!!

I did remove the side panels to hide the cabling i put in, I then remade them and re-fiied, so yes you will have to remove the steel rails.

What roof canvas did you get? Fitted mine today

creationblue said:
I did remove the side panels to hide the cabling i put in, I then remade them and re-fiied, so yes you will have to remove the steel rails.
Cool, I'll take a closer look when I get my bus back this week....

creationblue said:

I've got a Wolfsburg West one, bought via Faux..

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shorty said:
creationblue said:
Cool, I'll take a closer look when I get my bus back this week....

creationblue said:

I've got a Wolfsburg West one, bought via Faux..

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cant go wrong then ;)

The bus looks good and it's deffo a 50/50 when it comes to the over riders .....

Lizzie @ Delilahs finished my door cards today.... I'm very pleased with the end result :D

1ee8f7ce.jpg

Looking forward to tomorrow too....

Mark @ The Howling Wolf Speedshop has finished his magic and my bus is ready to come back home!! So excited, I've missed the old girl.... She's got some presents from Volksworld!

yes! :D

but it was dark by the time I had got it home and put the kids to bed....

Mark @ The Howling Wolf SpeedShop had done some fantastic work on the old girl.. the roof looks mint! And now I have a horn, and a handbrake, and an electric washer bottle, and door seals.. sweeeet!

I left a camera with him to take shots as he went along.. and then forgot to pick it up with the bus.. I'll go and retreive that over the weekend and post some before/during/after shots....

After a wonder at VoWo last weekend, I getting a lust for some new rims... just can't decide which ones... I'm leaning towards one particular set, but I'll keep those cards close to my chest for now and see what the opinion is!

Feel free to comment!!!

Chrome Empi 5's

ec99bd12.jpg

JBW Cosmics

a65e292a.jpg

BRM's

02723d8f.jpg

Chrome Fuch Replicas

e9aef0b4.jpg

Replica GB's

718445c3.jpg

Or run adaptors to give me more choice with a 205 PCD... anyone running narrow to wide adaptors on a stock width bus? I can't help thinking the front will look very odd but haven't actually seen one to make up my mind...!

Difficult one!

The BRMs dont have a great offset, that said my American Eagles have a bad ET13, but my front end is narrower than stock so i cant just get away with it. Im liking the cosmics, but you cant go wrong with the Foosh's.......I think If I had narrow 5s i would run Porker wheels, probably polished Teledials 8) (you dont see many on a Bay, in fact I cant only remember seeing one)

Just

Latest posts