Slammed van MOT question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie

Reaction score
How do you guys get on with the MOT on your slammed vans?

How do you get on the ramp?
How do you get in the brake test rollers??

Thanks
Cookie.

How low/slammed is your bus cookie?
Some tyre places refused mine when I wanted tracking doing, but never had a problem with a MOT station.... I send it to Just MOTs too :)
If its drivable on the road then I would have thought it will be fine.

Cookie said:
So all these mega slammed busses are all going round with no MOT?

A lot of the mega slammed buses air either on Air or hydro!?, so I guess they just raise them for the MOT!?
Static super slammed buses I guess you can only push your luck so far and as said it has to be able to go on the ramp!? (And have fair clearance on all moving partson the suspension)!?
DG Motors who MOT my bus have a low level drive on ramp so I had no issues, but saying that mine isn't super slammed!

T.H K&L Adjustable beam and drop spindles (On its Highest setting)
T.H Adjustable rear spring plates at the rear (As low as it'll go without fouling the drive shafts)

Only issue I've had is tracking! just need to find someone with an oldskool set up that duznt require the gages to clamp over the front wheels!?

Whats your set up? how low are you?

:)

My old bus was low, I carried a couple of cut down scaffold boards with me which was just enough to drive onto for the extra height. As for the rollers it was very close to hitting the sump as I never had an engine raise. If you speak to them nicely they are normally very accommodating. It helps going to the same MOT station for years to build up a bit of a rapport.

Yeah, mine looks the same hight as above (molbyj)

Someone else told me to find a garage with a drive on sunken ramp and if it's too low they use a decelaromiter for brakes?

Thanks.

Hi Cookie. Lets us know where you are, maybe somebody has a recomendation.
Lots of cars have clearence issues, some are built that way from the manufacturer so there will be a MOT station near to you thats fine.
Not everybody wants to drive a vehicle you can crawl under :D

dustrat said:
Sorry Cookie but decelaromiter is no longer used by MOT stations as it can not test individual brakes or handbrake.
Robert

They use it for my van at my local MOT centre. Can measure handbrake effectiveness, but not individual wheels as you suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkywig said:
Myvanway said:
Only issue I've had is tracking! just need to find someone with an oldskool set up that duznt require the gages to clamp over the front wheels!?

:)

Drive it so the front wheels are on a bit of 6" x 1" timber and the gauges will fit fine......

Or, put the guages on backwards, and reverse the measurements.

dustrat said:
Sorry Cookie but decelaromiter is no longer used by MOT stations as it can not test individual brakes or handbrake.
Robert

Got the mot done today- and passed :D

And also they do still use decelaromiters because 4x4 vehicles use them as it can damage the transfer box on a permanent 4x4.

No sure what the bit of
Kit is called but my local garage often bring vintage cars into my close and perform a number of brake tests.
There are always 2 people in the car and the passenger has a computer type think in his lap

I'll be honest, I thought this was a stupid question. For convenience as I have used loads of different mot stations over the years for my buses and never had a problem.
But tonight I couldn't get on the ramps so couldn't get tested! So it is now a valid question,the simple answer is find somewhere that you can fit the bus!

As an MOT tester yes we still use decelerometers and most places have sunken Ramps or find a station using an ATL lane over a pit?? Can be as low as ya want on a pit as even rollers are level at floor?? As long as everything suspension wise doesn't rub,catch or wobble you should be ok

Latest posts