So, you drill 40 holes in your bus ... deluxe trim Q

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambacorners

Reaction score
Assuming yours didn't come with deluxe trim from the factory of course.
I want to be fitting beltline trim soon but get cold sweats every time I contemplate the drilling involved ... when I first decided to go for it I had no idea it was held on with so many clips ... 40 new places for water to sneak inside the bodywork, as if it needed help from me :shock:
Anyone want to reassure me or tell me to man up or wise up or whatever? :|
Thanks!

Had to drill a few holes in mine to fit a bit of trim.
Used a 2.5 mm drill bit (if i remember correctly).
Dabbed a little paint in the holes to cover any bare metal then let it dry properly.
Then riveted the clips on 1st dipping them in a pot of fresh cavity wax.
Then dabbed some wax onto the bare ally rivet heads before fitting the trim.
Water tight n rust free :mrgreen: .

Go for it m8, its not that bad once you get started

Picture189.jpg

Picture281.jpg

Just

Bwuttonmoon said:
Id be tempted to glue them... Hot glue gun??

That wouldn't stand test of time :cry:

I had a set of trim for mine for over a year but in that time I didn't grow a pair big enough to get the drill out !! :oops:

Use masking tape when you drill the holes to stop the drill slipping. You probably already know this though 8)

Bwuttonmoon said:
Id be tempted to glue them... Hot glue gun??

If glue then some serious shit like sikaflex click

I did some serious glueing like half round massive stainless 40mm profiles to yachts click

I can't see why not with a little deluxe strip ;)

But . . . then its not original . . and if you do't mind abbout that 3M has a almost exact copy of the deluxe profile on the market in plastic fantastic (self adhesive)

This might be useful ;)
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

does any one know the width of delux trim think ime gonna use the 3m stuff its not as if i am gonna ruin the originality of my bus its a bit like triggers broom :D

lowlight185 said:
does any one know the width of delux trim think ime gonna use the 3m stuff its not as if i am gonna ruin the originality of my bus its a bit like triggers broom :D

26mm.....It wasn't the hole drilling that bothered me so much.
It was getting it level ,I ended up masking taping it on and fine adjusting it until I was happy with it by eye.
Drew a pencil line under the trim,removed the trim and marked where the clips would go.
Then measured 13mm up of the line marked and drilled the holes.
The rear corners are a right fecker to get right :lol: .....I want five clips to finish mine off,if anyone has some for sale :D .....Dave

ground hugger said:
.....I want five clips to finish mine off,if anyone has some for sale :D .....Dave

I think Custom and commercial do them fella

Take it easy with the masking tape. I taped mine and started only to be rained off. Maskers went all gooey and was a mare to remove and brought some tiny paint flecks off.
Fire some waxoil in the holes and add a dab of silicone sealer in the hole to stop water. I wouldnt use rivets because they are murder to drill out if you need to remove them for any reason, and that recoil you get off the rivet gun would have me worrying about the paint.
Mine have been in for a few years and when i removed to get the bus painted i had no rust issues using this method.

having done this the only other advice than use masking tape is watch the end ones as on one hole (think is was corner nearest the tailgate I got too close to the fold/join of the panel :oops:

but go for it :mrgreen:

Good point i did this too, I also found out that although the measurements in the How To section on this may have been correct for the fella that posted it, it didnt work for me, so really dont worry too much about bracket placement. I also found that the screws on the slider need to be filed a little bit as they catch the mech.

Just

Latest posts