Sound proofing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugsy

Reaction score
Finally purchased a bus. A 69' deluxe micro bus. Stripped it out and very pleased with how solid she is. Now lookin at sound proofing ideas ie materials used, costing and where to acquire them. I really don't wanna go over board with the cost as it's not too loud as it is now but ideas and tried and tested feedback would be brill.

Thanks in advance guys n gals

Jon

I just went the cheap route of fitting the silver insulation stuff that is meant to go behind radiators. Got it from homebase. Its give a bit of insulation and also must help with the sound.

Jon

Look at Angus's thread in the gallery, I think he used the sticky roofing felt rolls from screwfix or wickes as an alternative to Dynamat which is expensive. I don't think it deadens in the same way but a lot of it is about removing the boom off the panels rather than sticking the stuff everywhere.

Nice one, new van!
Let's see some pictures then!!

Well done with the van 8)
I used the rolls of aluminum backed tar that is used to join roof felt etc. Really deadens the panels.
You can get them from any builders merchants in many different widths.

Ive always used Dynamat.... Im a bit aprehensive about using the roofing stuff because it is HIGHLY flamable where as Dynamat is not. It will cost you £100+++ if you use Dynamat though. :(

Use the roofing stuff from B&Q. It's nigh on the same stuff. I used to lots of work with audio as an audio and for sound deadening you need to remove two frequencies. The roof felt stuff prevents low frequency resonance. And then something like carpet underlay will cut the high. Just look at what VW did with the beetle floor pan. Tar-like sheet stuck on the floor with carpet underlay over the top.

I love this forum. Post something up an almost immediately you get genuinly informative replies :)
Thanks guys for all the info.

Dont worry Leon ill be getting a thread up on my bus as soon as i get more than a couple spare minutes. My bus is just so 8) that instead of being on here like i have been so often recently, im with her instead :D Makin a big to do list :roll:

Jon

Yep, did all my bus with roof flashing, works a treat, cuts down noise big time.

check out my thread, i used roof flashing, did the job lovelly :)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8772&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

003-27.jpg

004-23.jpg

Didn't cost a penny. :D

Used dynamat, costs but works really well. If you have bass you need it!!! :lol:

hipshaker said:
i used dynamat. a bit pricey but i'm happy with it. think i spent in the region of £150.

where abouts did you pick up your dynamat from hipshaker? I've only seen the official website for it and that's the states. Anywhere more 'locally' stock it?
Thanks,

Jon

can't remember exactly but it was a bulk buy through ebay. here's a few:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=dynamat&_sacat=See-All-Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hipshaker said:
can't remember exactly but it was a bulk buy through ebay. here's a few:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=dynamat&_sacat=See-All-Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that :D

How many sheets do you recommend getting? 9 or 12? Did you go for the extreme or the super lite?

Do a search for Noise Killer in Google. There was a guy at VolksWorld Show selling the stuff. Loads of options but the best was a lead/rubber/foam sandwich (I think) with the lead being the best barrier to sound.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

i think i went for 9 ..... but did buy 3 more packs locally ......... although i still have 2 unopened (to be used on another vehicle). i used the extreme, i wasn't aware of the other one at the time.

Chugsy said:
Thanks for that :D

How many sheets do you recommend getting? 9 or 12? Did you go for the extreme or the super lite?

I got a noisekiller T2 set was a bit expensive but probably quickest way of improving the sound proofing. The only thing is I still havent used all of it ... half is still in the garage waiting for me to do the front of the bus. Put some sticky stuff on the rear wheel arches and then used the large heavy rubber sheet under the rear seat and across to the back of the bus.

Don't worry about getting the most expensive thing, or a special 'sound' thing like dynomat. All you are doing is changing the low resonance frequency response of your big flat panels. Think of them as a drum skin. You need to add mass to them to stop them from vibrating at an audible frequency. Anything sticky and heavy works hence the lead and tar like compounds used. Lead IS best and it's why some products are more expensive but it's such a finite difference that it really isn't worth it IMO. Roof flashing will cost 30-40 quid and then get some carpet underlay behind the door cards. The roof is most important then the sides and the cab floor is attached to the heavy chassis rails so carpet is enough.

Latest posts