Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STUMP said:
The fitment was easy enough. I was a bit scared when i read the fitting instructions that came with them when they started mentioning chains :shock: :shock: . I need to strip one side off again as i was a few teeth out :roll: . It took about 1.5 hours -2 hours per side including brews :lol: I will be updating my thread tomorrow with pics of how i fitted the rear.

Doing my rear this weekend too 8)

Just

Updated my thread for you to check out. Hope everything goes well with yours this weekend and i'll compare notes :D . Don't forget we all want to see pics 8)

Well fellas im afraid the truth of the matter is that i bottled it! :mrgreen: I had the four bolts off the rear hub and the spring plate cover removed and the bottom shock released, but couldnt see how the brake line would come out of the spring plate, couldnt undo the brake line unions so didnt want to snap them (again, see above...). Thought about releasing the plate from the spline but figured it would damage the handbrake line, and couldnt get under the front to slacken the handbrake cable from the lever as i was using the jack to hold the hub :evil: Anyway just put it all back together, pissed off now :?

Just

i didn't loosen handbrake i just pulled the clips that hold the lines out of the way and that was enough slack if you just swing drum out of the way a little. I also grinded a slot in orginal springplate while it was still attatched to get pipe out. This makes it look like the red 9 (see photo on my thread). If you don't have a compressor Aldi sell them cheap with an arrange of air tools. I bought one as every time you take wheels off the tyres will need flattened and pumped up again also helps getting off 40 year old bolts. Any probs just 'gis a bell or txt and i'll see if i can help 07525235234 D'Arcy

STUMP said:
i didn't loosen handbrake i just pulled the clips that hold the lines out of the way and that was enough slack if you just swing drum out of the way a little. I also grinded a slot in orginal springplate while it was still attatched to get pipe out. This makes it look like the red 9 (see photo on my thread). If you don't have a compressor Aldi sell them cheap with an arrange of air tools. I bought one as every time you take wheels off the tyres will need flattened and pumped up again also helps getting off 40 year old bolts. Any probs just 'gis a bell or txt and i'll see if i can help 07525235234 D'Arcy

I saw the job you did with the slot for the brake line,great idea, but just didnt want to drop the plate off the stop and as i didnt realy know what to expect and get stuck and spend all day pissing about, was looking after the kids this avo so couldnt afford to be snookered :? I rang Simon at Red9 for a bit of advise but he was out, so put it all back. Couldnt really work out how the brake line came off, and the unions were starting to get chewed up. ......

So did you take the plate off the spline then cut the slot for the brake? could i do it with a grinder? thats all i have lol

The other option for now is to turn the spring plate downa spine or two, will have to read up on this method as i assume i can leave the hub end of the arm in place.....ill check it out.

Just

Still not touched the rear end.........but have been busy with some wire wool and Autosol

Picture235.jpg

These were a bit manky with a few scrapes, but with a bit of elbow grease

Picture237.jpg

pretty good ide say....

Just need to order the rubbers

Just

Out this coming weekend in the bus, so need to get my ass in gear......

Got a mate coming round tomorrow to get the rear down, that saves me a job, so atempted the SAs this evening, masking took forever, not a job i enjoyed as the kids found out :? :lol:

Gave it a couple of coats of primer

Picture238.jpg

Then a few coates off Matt Black

Picture239.jpg

Then for the moment of truth...................peeled back the tape with some intrepidation......

Picture240.jpg

Turned out OK though...............gonna do one per evening this week ready for Sunday, then Ill try them with the rear slammed, and if I dont like the buggers then, shit, I dont know what ill do :lol:

Just

Thanks Fellas,

Got some shiney interior door handles to fit as well from a guy on the Samba.........once the Custom & Commercal Deluxe rubbers turn up ect ect ect :lol:

Anyone have any tips fitting said rubbers? Heard they are a bitch to fit :x

Just

creationblue said:
Thanks Fellas,

Got some shiney interior door handles to fit as well from a guy on the Samba.........once the Custom & Commercal Deluxe rubbers turn up ect ect ect :lol:

Just

Soak in a bucket of hot water ;)

creationblue said:
Turned out OK though...............gonna do one per evening this week ready for Sunday, then Ill try them with the rear slammed, and if I dont like the buggers then, shit, I dont know what ill do :lol:

Just

SELL THEM TO ME :D

nice work dude 8)

dagboyblue said:
creationblue said:

Just

SELL THEM TO ME :D

nice work dude 8)

:lol: you may get a PM soon :?

easy said:
creationblue said:
Thanks Fellas,

Just

Soak in a bucket of hot water ;)

Actually they are so soft prob down to the hot weather, but they go on a piece of piss 8) Ill fit them Sat morning 8)

Just

Hi Guys,

Van was taken home on a low-loader today for the first time Bottom training arm came out came to a shuddering halt at around 40mph, luckily the steering was neutral when it happened and we didnt swerve of the road!!! Was in the van with my wife and 3 kids, just glad it never happened a few miles earlier on the M4 at 60mph

Picture251.jpg

Picture252.jpg

Picture259.jpg

We stripped and put it back together by the side of the road (Thanks to Mark and Spence) only for it to come out a few hundred yards down the road

I should point out im running a Red9 EZ rider 2" kit up front and my initial thought was a failure.....

Picture253.jpg

Picture254.jpg

Got back home and on the drive, started to strip it down and see what the damage was.

Turns out that nothing was damaged fortunatly, was my fault completely in that i didnt check the bottom trailing arm was positioned correctly so that the grub screw was properly sat in the V of the Tie-bar, instead it was about 2mm out

Picture255.jpg

After hitting the 'arm with a mallet the end cap popped off and a peice of weld dropped out, this was stopping the 'arm going in fully

Picture256.jpg

Luckily no one was hurt and now its all back togeather with no damage down other than a ruined day

So please anyone rolling with a Red9 kit check that the trailing arms are fully home, its impossible to see the top but the bottom is visible and if not linned up correctly this could happen to you!!!

Just

sparkywig said:
Well, did you get them on?

On a plus note, spend yesterday morning finishing the last wheel and fitting the bumper trims...

Picture249.jpg

Picture247.jpg

Oh and the rubbers are a piece of piss to fit when the temp is hitting 26degs :lol:

Just

Glad you´re all ok!
Van´s looking real nice now them wheels are on and detailed! Nice bling too! 8)

Latest posts