Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you were all okay dude. Such a small thing but an important one. I must admit the red 9 kit is not my fav. I like the old mechanics ;) we were all uber happy that you and your family were okay.
Catch you soon 8)

creationblue said:
sparkywig said:
Well, did you get them on?

On a plus note, spend yesterday morning finishing the last wheel and fitting the bumper trims...

Picture249.jpg

Picture247.jpg

Oh and the rubbers are a piece of piss to fit when the temp is hitting 26degs :lol:

Just

8)

As with everyone else - glad you are all ok and the van seemed to sustain no serious damage. :D

Very cool looking bus 8)

creationblue said:
And here is a drawing if anyone is interested (courtesy of Naskeet)

Westfalia-Roof-Bed-1-1.jpg

Just
Ok - i set up the bed as per measurements in the diagram - but the folding supports that hold the poptop up hit the brackets that support the bed?????
How did you overcome this??
Really cant figure it out and its driving me slightly madder than normal :mrgreen:

HHmmm Not sure there fella, i didnt actually draw this out but did make up the board before I came accross a genuine Continental bed that i current use. Take a few pics so we can have a look, the struts should forward of the brackets. How did you make the brackets?

Just

Had a play with the coil overs today, since fitting them they have been making some weird noises creaking and sounding not very healthy, unbolted them and reassembled using lots off copper grease and sprayed the rod with WD40 for good measure, seemed to do the trick as its now silent again 8)

Didnt have the same sort of luck with the accelorator cable tho, anyone who read my post in general will know we had an incident with a snapped cable, inconvenient to say the least, but managed to bodge and get home with a little help from a few friends 8) , anyhow the replacement for my '70 left hooker again wasnt long enough to fit the linkage on my webbers :evil: so ended up having to cut the hook off and join/bodge the new one :roll: waste of time but hey we live n learn!!!!!! The Universal one will be ordered up :mrgreen:

Just

Got a Universal cable today. Couldnt get it through the tube though so had to result to the Angle Grinder. Found out were the blockage was in the tube and slit it

Picture286.jpg

Managed to fish out the crap and the new cable slid in a treat 8).

I wasnt happy with the ride and ride height, after a few trips over the last few weeks i was fed up with the beam bottoming out on uneven roads :shock: so Simon at RED9 made me some adaptors that raised the shock by an inch. Fitted these today and now im quite happy with the look.

Picture287.jpg

I now have the adjustment i need to have a decent ride with clearance so the tyres dont scuff the arches 8) well pleased :D

Just

Only if you had that angle grinder and an airline we could have done that in the field a few weeks ago.

LOL they were a bargain!!!!! :roll:

Im still scuffing the tryes on the near side :x Thinking of putting the standard spindles back on then lowering the coilovers to the bottom, should be 12mm higher then........should have left the damn thing alone :lol:

Just

Got a few parts that ive been hunting down for ages, chrome window winders (from a ford :oops: ) and chrome end door pulls as the originals fell apart.

Picture290.jpg

I have been pondering my front end setup for the last few weeks, as getting tyre rub mainly on the front N/S, so Monday night after work did this

Picture294.jpg

And put the torsion bars back in,

Picture293.jpg

What an absolute cu*t of a job :evil: if your gonna attemp this do yourself a favour and dont!!!!! Its well documented above that the welds holding the 7(?) bars together came off, if these were still welded it would have been easier im sure, anyhow after about and hour and a half i eventuall got the leaves all in top and bottom, only to find that the trailing arms wouldnt fit on the ends :evil: I was spitting feathers by this point!!! It was also getting dusk so couldnt fuck about and had to reassemble with the Red9. Good news tho as the shocks were off i managed to raise the platform about 7mm right up to the max, so after all my work at least I should have enough clearance :lol: Think i shagged the steering rod ball joint in the process as now it turns as i try to tighten the nut up, think this is an MOT fail, anyone know for sure?

I am now able to strip and rebuild the front in record time :lol:

The MOT runs out today, but before i book in for a new ticket I have to sort out a couple of things namley horn stopped working and N/S stop light. So just back in from rewiring the horn, and after some head scratching and armed with a test meter, the job was complete with nothing more than a sharp thump to the light lense :lol: So hopefully it will pass tho may have to get the steering ball joint done.........

Just

To get the draglink or track rod end to tighten get someone to tap the top with a lump hammer whilst you tighten the nut. Should be fine.

Also a trick for getting the torsion leaves through......grind down/round off the ends and use cable ties to keep them together, cable ties wont cause any problems and the smoothed edges will help the torsions to seat properly.

Deep breath and go back to it in the morning.

Latest posts